Double Nest
    Tarp
    AH Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wild/Log Down UC
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Wool Blanket replacing Sleeping bag?

Hey all before I get an automatic its to cold let me tell you about myself. I live in california and will only be going out for overnights in Southern California during spring, summer, and fall. I plan on going out a lot during June, July, and August which is when I would be using the hammock. I am naturally a very hot person to start with. I have only had my hammock since Feb and when I have been out in the hammock with a 45 bag have been unable to sleep because it was to hot and was sweating when it was 53. When I did tent camping I would have to have my bag unzipped because I got to hot. If we have any scuba divers here a reference would be I dive in a 5mm wet suit in 52-55 waters here in Cali during winter.

So now that you know me a little as well as where I live would it be feasible to leave the bag at home and bring a wool blanket instead?

Cali Hangers would love to hear from you especially since you know the areas I will be in...San Bernardino, Los Padres, and up near Mammoth.

Thank you everyone for the help

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    If you are truly that warm a sleeper, why haul the wool? Try a fleece blanket, from a cheap source near you for about $15. I find wool blankets too heavy and bulky.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Or look for a military poncho liner
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    a lot lighter options then a wool blanket but hey hyoh
    welcome to planet earth no one gets out alive

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL/ HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Depends on Weather
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I live at 3500 feet in Riverside County and I sleep in a 40 degree bag with a ThermoRest self inflating pad in the winter (and it snows here). This summer I'll bring both still but I'll sleep on the bag with the it open and bring a bed sheet to cover myself. It does get chilly in the wee hours of the morning in the mountains.

Hammock
    Double Nest
    Tarp
    AH Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wild/Log Down UC
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I picked wool just because I know its extremely durable...not to mention I know it retains warmth even if it happens to get wet...how does fleece do if it happens to get wet?

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    probably even better- nylon/poly does not hold on to the water like natural fibers will- the warmth is due to air pockets keeping down the convection/transmission of the heat you are generating..so give it a try!KM

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    9x10 tyvek
    Insulation
    ww blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopies & toggles
    Images
    Wow! What an awesome problem to have. I tend to run a bit cold if I'm out of doors. You don't have to worry about anyone shouting you down (there is a popular phrase on this site--hang your own hang (HYOH)). So, if a wool blanket is all you need, more power to ya.

The only suggestion I can give is shoot for the wool blanket the 1st hang, but bring the bag as a back up. I'd even bring a $6 walmart pad just to be on the super duper safe side. If after a hang or two you find the bag and pad superfluous, lose 'em. If it does, indeed, get too cold for comfort that first night, then you'll be glad you had them.

Luck favors the prepared, and despite my Irish heritage I find I only am lucky if I'm over-prepared . Then again, I mostly car camp, so I can afford to get frivolous with what I pack.

One way or the other, let us know how it goes--we love trip reports (remember... pictures, or it didn't happen).
    You're gonna need a bigger hammock

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Well, whatever floats your boat The summer is pretty hot here in So Cal, but I like to sleep in shorts and a t-shirt in the summer, so I still need a little something to keep me comfortable - could be fleece, could be a light wool blanket, could be a cotton sheet, a summer down quilt, all depends on the weather. The big problem in the middle of summer are the bugs... I generally use a North Face 30 degree down bag that I have converted to a quilt no matter what the weather - I kick it off if I'm hot, then usually wind up pulling it back on later in the night.

By mid-August it's so hot here that you might be able to get by without an underquilt even, but a word of caution though, no matter what you use as a top quilt, you can lose a LOT of heat from the bottom of the hammock so do make sure you have a good fitting quilt or pad.

Hammock
    ENO - DN
    Tarp
    DIY Spinn/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    Orca IX/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradhistorian View Post
    I picked wool just because I know its extremely durable...not to mention I know it retains warmth even if it happens to get wet...how does fleece do if it happens to get wet?
    There is nothing quite so nice as a wool sweater over a thin tshirt... You could sleep in that and a light blanket.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast