Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saving Money Already . . . Maybe?

Being new to the whole DIY gear thing, I haven't decided whether I will actually save any money over buying the gear. I can, however, say that this forum has already saved me money on the DIY materials. I was ready to pay $11.00/ yard for Silnylon until I read a post that referenced backwoodsdaydreamer.com where I found it for $5-$6/yd(2nds) and $8.75/yd for 1sts. I was going to pay over a dollar a foot for Amsteel until I read a post by ChrisH that referenced reddenmarine.com where I found it for $.21/ft. Finally, another member posted information about Hancock Fabrics' current sale on 1.9 oz ripstop and I got it for $3.99/yd. They also had bug net on sale for $1.99/yd.

In short, I have been a member of the forum for two days and already saved significant money on materials. Still not sure that it isn't cheaper to buy gear but I am sure that this forum is a great source o information. Thank you all for your posts.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There are several threads on the issue of whether or not DIY does save you money. One of the main arguments in that debate is the value you place on your time. Another point in the debate is the learning of a new skill.

It is great that you were able to use the information here to find better pricing on materials for your projects. That is just plain shopping smart and doing your research.

Welcome to the forum and when you do complete some projects with your DIY materials, be sure and post pictures.

Cheers

Brian

I will check out the threads on DIY savings. When I am not at work, my goal is to relax and do something I enjoy so anytime I put into a hobby like this is time well spent.

I am waiting for all the components to come in (including the sewing machine) and when I finish my first project, I will be sure to post pics.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The sewing machine is only the start. hehehehe.. you will need shears (or rotary cutter or hot knife) for cutting the fabric. They can run anywhere from $15 for a maybe ok pair up to >$300 for top of the line. Then you'll need scissors for trimming and piece cutting.. again $9.00 for maybe passable to >$250 for top of the line. Add a thread snipper for $3 (but I don't recommend them) to >$35 and your arsenal for cutting is mostly complete. Unless of course you want pinking shears ($125 would be the lowest to go cause pinking shears as notoriously fussy and easy to get out of whack.)

Cutting surfaces depend on what you use and what you want. Sometimes a layer of cardboard like a dryer box can work.(Often available free from your local appliance store.) But if you want a self-sealing rotary surface of any decent size get set to pay some big bucks.

Pins and needles are consumables so you'll buy those continually. (Don't tell me pins are not consumables. Every time I drop one the floor devours it with a ravenous passion. Of course you can buy a stable floor surface and a magnetic broom but the magnetic broom only works if you buy steel pins. Steel pins are nice but more expensive than nickel.

Next will come the addition to the house for your DIY studio along with the complete rewiring of the electrical. You gonna need to do some powerful saving to foot the bill for all that. But, after all, it's only money.

In short... buy the best you can afford. It will pay off in the long run. Better shears and scissors need less sharpening and good equipment makes the job much more enjoyable.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images

It depends

If you are good with a sewing machine you can possibly save money. But it can take a lot of experimentation with designs. It all depends on what you are making. From a noob perspective: Backpacks=Hard, Hammocks=easy to difficult(all depends on design), Tarps=easy to difficult(again depends on design), Underquilts and Top quilts=moderate to difficult(once again depends on design) ymmv. As you get into diy you will be buying a lot of materials and tools. You might also be more inclined to make a lot more stuff than you would buy. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Yeah, I haven't figured out all the cutting tools and surfaces and how much room I need. I did notice that the cutting mats are pretty expensive. Maybe I could start with cardboard or a small mat and go from there. Hopefully I can avoid the addition to the house.

Mancat, I think you are right that I will probably spend money to make gear that I wouldn't otherwise buy. Oh well, you can't take it with you. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    I will probably spend money to make gear that I wouldn't otherwise buy.
    One thing I've learned is that a handmade hammock makes a great and inexpensive gift. People get a kick out of getting one, even if they do view it as a novelty. So fret not, there is always gifting.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    ENO Single Nest
    Tarp
    Profly
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    being new to the hammock world, i had decided to go the diy route. i have full faith that many great companies out there make excellent products but do it for the thing i dont have, money. so to save myself some (and because i like learning new things and doing things myself) i did some research on here and just jeffs site to start the things i need. i will say, a ballpark estimation of a little over $100 and i have myself a tarp, stuff sacks, uq, organizer, adapters and left over material to make more stuff. cant say the same price wise if i bought it all. but then again, im quite positive all of their stuff is better crafted
    Tucker: So I suppose if you are helping us you arent as mean as I thought...
    Tex: I wouldnt say Im mean, I just get hired to do mean things.
    Tucker: But you like it.
    Tex: Well I think its important to enjoy what you do.

-Red Vs Blue

Hammock
    DIY GE
    Tarp
    12'x9'
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Freelancer Tex View Post
    being new to the hammock world, i had decided to go the diy route. i have full faith that many great companies out there make excellent products but do it for the thing i dont have, money. so to save myself some (and because i like learning new things and doing things myself) i did some research on here and just jeffs site to start the things i need. i will say, a ballpark estimation of a little over $100 and i have myself a tarp, stuff sacks, uq, organizer, adapters and left over material to make more stuff. cant say the same price wise if i bought it all. but then again, im quite positive all of their stuff is better crafted
    A big "+1" to that. I put together a hammock, suspension, bug net, ridgeline organizer, bishop bag, tarp, snake skins, and UQ for $116

I think I have a better mastery of things when I have constructed them. I just need my thread injecting skillset to go way up. I am slow and careful and so far the stuff doesn't look wholly like a child did it. There are lots of things I want to make and lots of stuff that is not observable in my hometown.

I don't do it all on my own. I did just get a golite pinnacle. Since I missed out on the Guide Gear Tarp this last time around I will adapt a HFTools tarp to use.... and dream of cuben.

-TN6

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast