Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrumb View Post
    Great info - I did a motorcycle ride down the OB this spring - I brought my hammock but ended up grabbing a hotel instead.

I'd definitely call to check and verify daily ferry schedules. We were going by what the site listed and ran into a few delays which forced us to turn around and backtrack.

May do it again this fall - please post a follow up trip report!

Jim
    You mean they were operating on a schedule different then the one posted? Or they were just off schedule?

I'm on a bicycle, so there's not much I can do about ferry schedules except wait. By the time the ferry opens for the day, I hope to be within 3 hours of it. The next closest ferry to the island is more than a day's ride away, so I don't really have other options. If they're operating on a different schedule, that would be helpful to know the day before, so that I can set my alarm, but once I'm up and moving, there's not much I can do. A three hour delay or even a twenty hour delay is going to be shorter then turning around.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    camping in Kinston NC....In Kinston, Turn North on Hwy 55 / 11 Old Pink Hill Rd. Just before you cross the Neuse River off to the left is a Nature Center and camp ground. When my son was in the scouts we camped their several times. I do not know what their rates are. You can see it easly on Google maps. http://www.neusewaypark.com/

You can also camp along the Neusiok Trail along Hwy 101. Check my web site at www.neusioktrail.org for more information.

Mosquitoes along the coast (Morehead City/Beaufort area) have been limited so far this year due to lack of rain. Deer flies have been the problem this summer.

I live in Otway NC and if you are taking Hwy 70 to Cedar Island to catch the ferry to the Outer banks you will be going by my house. You are welcome to stop and spend the night. I have a dedicated hammock area in my backyard that can handle up to 3 hammocks.

Let me know if I can help out.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Thinlight pad
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    That Kinston tip is great. It adds about 10 miles to my first day but, because it's right on my route, unlike Cliffs of the Neuse, it'll save me a little time over all and make the second day much more relaxed.

And I thank you for the offer. Right now my planned route has me leaving 70 at Havelock and staying north of Otway. But if I find myself with an abundance of daylight and energy, I may contact you to see if the offer still stands. It would get me that much closer to the ferry.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123