Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Question Whoopie Continuous Loop?

Why not build whoopie slings as continuous loops? At least, as an option or alternative to the "straight line" model?

Seems it would be stronger, because as a loop, the whoopie would never get down to a single length of line anywhere, not even for a couple of inches. It would always be "doubled." And it would be more adjustable (could be made even shorter and perhaps even longer), since there would be no locked brummel taking up room. At no greater weight.

Alternative number two: why not build a single continuous whoopie sling, from one end of the hammock, to one tree, across to the other tree (doubling as the tarp line), and back down to the other end of the hammock. Again, seems it would take no more line and might even save line and weight and would need no separate tarp line.

Hmmmm. Can anyone tell I got out of my box today?

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I believe what you are after is a loopie sling...

http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professi...l-Loopie-Sling

The downside to a loopie is it has the same charecteristics as a UCR. Only 1 side of the bury is loaded and the entire set-up is prone to letting loose if the wind hits it wrong.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I do use one of these on my hammock stand on one end to accomodate different hammocks.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    The downside to a loopie is it has the same charecteristics as a UCR. Only 1 side of the bury is loaded and the entire set-up is prone to letting loose if the wind hits it wrong.
    I'm going to hat to put my cogitation hat on. If it's a loop, wouldn't both sides be loaded? And it's a whoopie that only has on side loaded?

Or, are you speaking about the "outside" or "grabber" line rather than the buried line? That might make some sense to me.

Or are we talking apples and oranges somehow?

Thanks for the insight and link!

P.S. That leaves my one-piece, continuous non-loop idea still afloat though, right?

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    IFWIW, I've been using these 'loopie' slings for well over a year on my DD travel. I actually prefer them to whoopies now having used both on it. Used in the DD travel, I think they make opening the channel back out easier for bivi use, you can't lose the splice inside itself, its easier to make and easier to use.
    I used an 11" splice to make sure it held and never had a slip. I don't rate them for pure hammock use though, I think the normal whoopie is best.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Why not build whoopie slings as continuous loops? At least, as an option or alternative to the "straight line" model?

Seems it would be stronger, because as a loop, the whoopie would never get down to a single length of line anywhere, not even for a couple of inches. It would always be "doubled."
    It depends on how the loop is connected on both ends. If the loop is placed around a marlin-spike-hitch, at the point were it is going around, it is single layer. That becomes the weak spot, so the double line has no bearing. Even if you larkshead it on to the other end, there is still only a single line at the back of the knot.

I'm going to hat to put my cogitation hat on. If it's a loop, wouldn't both sides be loaded? And it's a whoopie that only has on side loaded?

Or, are you speaking about the "outside" or "grabber" line rather than the buried line? That might make some sense to me.
    That's correct, it is the load on both ends of the sheathing that causes it to constrict on the inner line. Without the tension on both ends, it can easily slip.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    A whoopie has both sides of the constrictor loaded, one side is the rope attached to the fixed eye, the other side makes up one leg of the adjutable eye.

The way the loopie is constructed, youll see tha backspliced tail... In order for both sides of the constrictor to be loaded, this tail needs to be attached to something. You can solve the problem by using a small prusik attached to the tail somehow to tension it after getting length set. But under normal operations, only one side is loaded.

Makes no difference whether talking about a whoopie or a loopie... If the outer line isnt loaded, no constriction.

P.S. That leaves my one-piece, continuous non-loop idea still afloat though, right?

Rain Man

You lost me on this one. But dont take it to heart... Im easily lost.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    You lost me on this one. But dont take it to heart... Im easily lost.
    I'm meaning one extra long whoopie, instead of two short ones. The long one goes from one end of the hammock to the first tree, then across to the second tree (acts as ridgeline for rainfly?), then to other end of hammock. Or, maybe it'd have a whoopie on both ends.

Can you tell I was climbing all the way out of my box?

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I'm meaning one extra long whoopie, instead of two short ones. The long one goes from one end of the hammock to the first tree, then across to the second tree (acts as ridgeline for rainfly?), then to other end of hammock. Or, maybe it'd have a whoopie on both ends.

Can you tell I was climbing all the way out of my box?

Would the "tarp ridgeline" go limp with no weight in the hammock. Would sag in ridgeline + tarp in porch mode + rain = water pocket? Would you care?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Would the "tarp ridgeline" go limp with no weight in the hammock. Would sag in ridgeline + tarp in porch mode + rain = water pocket? Would you care?
    Good question!

I just KNEW I'd be more comfortable if I stayed in my box.

Sincerely, you all are helping me think through the ramifications. Thanks!

Rain Man

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast