Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Deluxe A-sym w/HH Tarp
    Suspension
    Stock
    Straight from the creator is right on. Until you witness one these moments it is kinda hard to understand. I know that morning. It is something to remember, only mine came on a beach where I watched the sun rise and several massive storms that seemed to cradle the sun for almost two hours. Talk about seeing a bright light. It was the heavenliest sights on earth. I have so many pics of it. I was just in awe and the smell of the surf the sound of the surf with thunder and gusty winds. I'm there in my head now. I'm glad you were able to have that moment. Sure beats looking at Neon and hearing street traffic hustle and bustle.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Reckon View Post
    ...However you did need 4wd to negotiate the 2-track....As always there were people who would not observe the rules and eventually Comb's Road was gated and then we all suffered lack of access...
    25+ years back, we hated the jacked up 4 wheel drives. Their deep ruts and mud bogs made several areas difficult to get to in HNF.

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles

4wd

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    25+ years back, we hated the jacked up 4 wheel drives. Their deep ruts and mud bogs made several areas difficult to get to in HNF.
    Yes, I agree. The mess they made of Maumee Road was ridiculous! Last time I was back there in the family Wrangler they were still tearing it up. Al
    Never confuse the facts with the truth! It ain't easy bein' geezy

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 10f
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry ( the Hiker ) View Post
    Thinking about a hang 2nd or 3rd week of May....Friday night and Saturday Night at the pines where the Hoosier Hang Started...only .6 of a mile on combs road ( at the very end ). we could even have a pitch in....

What say You.....

Jerry the Hiker
    Sounds like a plan.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    It was a good thing it closed. Road access let too many undesirables too far into the back county, much too easily.

I can remember back far enough, late 70's early 80's that you could still get a two wheeler all the way in to the Salt Creek Bridge washout. It got ugly and ugly fast after that. Once Nebo was declared a Wilderness area, the roads were never intended to be improved or maintained. They were already too narrow and the grade too low in relation to the flood plane, to get modern equipment down there to do anything other than outright reconstruction.

They came in several years ago and I guess pulled several of the washed out drainage cross pipes on Combs road, returning them to more natural fords, then closed the road altogether to vehicular traffic.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I'll be following this to see what date is decided on. It looks right now like I'll be busy on the 2nd weekend (the 13th, 14th and 15th), but not the third. That's not set in stone yet though, and I can probably shift my plans by a week if that ends up being the week that works for everyone else.
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

Hammock
    Home Made from Acer
    Tarp
    Kelty
    Insulation
    Body Fat
    Suspension
    Mule's Special
    Images
    Big Al,

at the parking area, it's pretty flat with the exception of about the last 40 yards....and even thats not very big.... I am thinking just hanging there for a night or 2 nothing serious, just have a good time, with good friends, relaxing in front of a fire. Heck we could even bring music to the pines....not that far to carry....

gmcttr....I notice your in columbus....I am just in Seymour....Like Ron the farmer, maybe we could hook up....only a few minutes away from each other...

Jerry the Hiker
    The only Easy day was yesterday.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Jerry...I'm hoping to make it to the Pines, even if just for a day hike (or I may just take the mountain bike).

Is the camping area in sight of Combs Rd? Are you parking at the gate on Combs or at one of the Nebo trailheads?

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles

Pines

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry ( the Hiker ) View Post
    Big Al,

at the parking area, it's pretty flat with the exception of about the last 40 yards....and even thats not very big.... I am thinking just hanging there for a night or 2 nothing serious, just have a good time, with good friends, relaxing in front of a fire. Heck we could even bring music to the pines....not that far to carry....

gmcttr....I notice your in columbus....I am just in Seymour....Like Ron the farmer, maybe we could hook up....only a few minutes away from each other...

Jerry the Hiker
    Thanks for the refresher Jerry. In about a week I'll leave to take the camper to Michigan for the season. Depending upon the morels and the fishing I may be back home over one of those weekends. I'll keep an eye on this. I'd like to see everyone again. Considering my health the Pines might be doable. Big Al
    Never confuse the facts with the truth! It ain't easy bein' geezy

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Jerry...I'm hoping to make it to the Pines, even if just for a day hike (or I may just take the mountain bike).

Is the camping area in sight of Combs Rd? Are you parking at the gate on Combs or at one of the Nebo trailheads?
    Yep, the spot we're talking about is right on the East side of Combs Rd. Jerry is talking about parking at the gate where Combs road becomes closed to motorised vehicles, but it's not too far of a hike from the North Nebo trail-head. . . I think it took me maybe 45 minutes when I hiked in for the Hoosier hang.

Just a heads up. . . As of the weekend of the Hoosier Hang, there were several spots where there were downed trees across the trail, and one or two of them were pretty difficult to get by on foot, let alone with a bike. Just something to keep in mind.
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast