Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2906 View Post
    Much as I would love to buy an underquilt, having just splurged on a Blackbird and Superfly, my funds are pretty depleted. I tried a combination of blue CC foam pad, truck window sunshade with a half z-rest lying crossways under my shoulders for -1° to -3° night last night. I was in a -15° sleeping bag and was fine until about 6 a.m, when mild CBS started. While I'm sure that the UQ option is significantly more comfortable, I'm just curious if anyone knows the R-value comparison of a Winter UQ and how many blue CC sleeping pads it would take to have the same effect. Again, this is not so much about cushy comfort as it is about functional comfort. Thanks.
    I don't know exactly, but no doubt you can exceed any single commercially available UQ( well, I guess, are there any rated much more than about zero? Probably there are if custom) with enough pads. Some here have done at least minus 22F with pads only, but I can't recall how thick their pads were. As for R values, it runs more or less like this: every 1/4" of CCF = ~ R1.1,
    so 1" = ~ R4.4, 2" = 8.8 more or less, probably a tad less as you get thicker so maybe only 8.6 for 2". But that is a lot of R, and of course it is wind and water proof can even be laid directly on the ground. R value Probably varies some with who is making the CCF. Then maybe about 13(12-14) degrees F per R. So 2" CCF with an R8.6X13F= 111.8*F protection. 75(or 70 if you prefer) - 111.8= minus 36.8F(or minus 41.8 starting from 70F if needing nothing at 70).
    For 1", R ~ 4.3 = 55.9. 70F - 55.9= 14.8F(add 5 if starting from 75, or about 20F)
    1/2"=R2.2X13= 28.6 70F-28.6= 41.4F

So that takes care of pads, what about UQs R value? Well, that is a bit tougher. But, looking at Climashield quilts which are rated in CLO, 1 R = approximately 1 CLO. (Actually, it's more like 1.14 CLO per R, or .88R per CLO). But for quick in your head calculations, just use 1 to 1 and you should be in the ballpark.

So, CS weighing 5 oz per sq, yd. has a CLO of ~ .82 per oz X 5 oz = 4.1 CLO. That would be ~ 3.6R. X 13= 45.76. 70F-46.8= 23.2 warmth rating for a CS 5 oz/sq.yd quilt, compared to about 41F for a 1/2" pad or 15 for a 1" CCF pad. To be closer to that that quilts rating, you need the same R value of 3.6, or 3.6/4.3(R value of 1"pad)= .84" pad to = the warmth rating of a 5 oz/sq.yd CS UQ. Remember, all warmth ratings for the CS are based on perfection of fit, IOW probably a zipped up draft free sleeping bag. Quilts might not be quite as warm, even a small draft and all bets are off. And for pads, CS and R values, all is based on some mythological average sleeper, but who ever really knows if that's what they are?

And for down? Well you have all those different fill values, but some say that it matters not as for warmth per inch, but only for warmth per weight. So supposedly 1" of 550 is approximately as warm as 1" of 850, more or less. So I have seen a table that says 1.1" of 550 down has a CLO/R of 4.8 ( they seem to be considering CLO and R the same). http://www.tadvgear.com/page4.htm
    But this table can not be right if the above calculations are correct. If this is right then 2.5" single layer of down, normally rated at ~ 20F, would have a CLO of 10.9. Reducing it to an R value as we did above that would be an R value of 10.9X.88= 9.6!
    Or 9.6X13F= 124.8! 70F-124.8= minus 54.8F warmth rating for 2.5" of loft! Even the 1.1" they have as a CLO 4.8 would be a 15F rating for 1.1" loft, no way!

I find this much more reasonable:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_insulation
    Some basic insulation values can be considered as examples of typical conditions[5]

• naked body: 0 ;
    • summer clothing: 0.6 clo ;
    • ski outfit: 2 clo ;
    • light polar equipment: 3 clo ;
    • heavy polar equipment: 4 clo ;
    • polar down duvet: 8 clo.
    Sorry if I have grossly miscalculated in the above, it's quite possible I did.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 03-02-2015 at 00:02.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd try two real pads. Skip the window shade. I always used an SPE. Or check out the ENO HotSpot.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Originally posted by BillyBob58
    I don't know exactly, but no doubt you can exceed any single commercially available UQ( well, I guess, are there any rated much more than about zero?

Commercially available - well the guy up in Thunder Bay had UGQ make him one with, was it 7" of loft last year? Any way they can be had if you are willing to pay for them.

Hammock
    DIY 12' PolyD
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 silArgon
    Insulation
    HG 0º UQ / 20º TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Sorry if I have grossly miscalculated in the above, it's quite possible I did.
    Holy crap! You are a wealth of insulation information but I've gotta grab an aspirin and a nap now
    Black Raven Survival YouTube Page

Gear Reviews, DIY Tutorials, Trip Reports, Homesteading, Survivalism, Bushcraft, Firearms, Prepping, Hiking, Camping

Hammock
    WBRR/Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    AHE/JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ditto, on curious what Shug has changed.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by allhansondeck View Post
    Ditto, on curious what Shug has changed.
    Well....I don't use pads anymore. Underquilts all the way)))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    warbonetRR, hennessy
    Tarp
    warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    hg incubator0,pad
    Suspension
    EnoAtlas,50ft cord
    Images
    Numbers are great but the best thing is to try both. Temperature was 35f. Tried 0 degree under quilt for couple of hours and pad that's rated R 5.7 and pad rated R 3.2 and gave the under quilt my rating of about 4.5
    Also I have a 4 inch self inflatable pad and its warmest thing ever I think like R value 8 but it's bulky too

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.7 oz gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon
    Insulation
    New River UQ,
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I started reading this thinking it was a new post at first and was wondering what kind of parallel universe I had entered. Then I saw the dates of the OP. I'm pretty sure I have exhausted the entire library of Shug's videos on Youtube and have never seen a pad in use in any of them. How was the thru hike by the way?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    HG std CF3
    Insulation
    Yeti; Mt. Wash. 4
    Suspension
    Dutchware kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollintent View Post
    I started reading this thinking it was a new post at first and was wondering what kind of parallel universe I had entered.
    Ha! I read the first post without looking at the date and started wondering if I had missed and eclipse.
    "I go because it irons out the wrinkles in my soul." -- Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Quote Originally Posted by obxh2o View Post
    Ha! I read the first post without looking at the date and started wondering if I had missed and eclipse.
    Me too !! I had thought my old buddy Sean (Shug) had gone nuts (again) .Da Ha !!!
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast