Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

But here's my question. Though we are all aware of the many ways in which a pad decreases comfort in a hammock for a lot of people, is it possible that the pad actually increases comfort in some ways? I just wondered what the frequent pad users thought regarding this question. For one thing, the pad seems to give me somewhat of a flatter sleeping surface. And the pad inside the SPE with the wings pushing outward on the Hennessy sides gives me a sensation of more openness inside the hammock, solving any net related problems. And it seems to me that whether in the Hennessy or in the Speer, I am actually able to lie on my side a little better than without the pads. I'm assuming this is because of the aforementioned "flatter sleeping surface" -- or so it seems. I wouldn't say it was a big difference, but the difference seems to be there.

Has anybody else noticed anything like this, or am I just hallucinating again?
    I find the pad does increase comfort in the hammock for the same reasons you gave. It provides a flatter surface. Without the pad the I sink into the bottom of the hammock and the material folds around me, especially near my face. I find that uncomfortable. I, too, can sleep better on my side with the pad under me. I've ridden out several really nasty rainstorms in my Hennessy and the feeling of "more openess inside the hammock" that you describe makes a huge difference. I can lay on the pad without the netting getting too close to me, with everything I could possibly need hanging from the ridgeline above me.

I don't think a pad is such a PITA in a hammock. I have a Hennessy and my ridgerest works just fine in it. It does take a couple of minutes to get the pad, sleeping bag, and me aligned properly once I'm in the hammock, but I have plenty of time on the trail. And once everything is set to my satisfaction, I'm more comfortable than I have ever been outdoors. The only time I don't use my pad in the hammock is when it is really hot and humid (like eighty-five degrees at midnight). My ridgerest pad is fairly indestructable, weighs very little, and definately adds comfort to my hammock sleeping system.
    "I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiricy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids" - General Jack D. Ripper

Images
    Well, there you have it. There are definitely widely varying opinions on the comforts ( or discomforts ) of pad use. I guess it is just something each individual has to find out for themselves.

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    "I'm using an 1/8" closed cell pad with reflective material laminated onto it,..."

Can you tell me, do you have the reflective material toward you or away from you? Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456