Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Neo, do you have that no net Claytor yet? How's that working out? Is it just like your other Claytor except without the net? Same exact comfort?
    i will get mine tommorrow neo
    the matrix has you

Images
    Thanks for the responses. And I am surprised to find that there are actually a few others that feel the pad actually contributes to comfort, at least in some ways. Which is not to say that, overall, things might be more comfy without the pads, even if some areas are improved, like flatter surface and a more open hammock.

Now I am wanting to try one of the DAMs. Slowhike, probably nobody has as much long term experience with DAM in a hammock as you do. Have you had any trouble with the failres of the air mattress? Maybe due to unique stresses caused by the hammock?

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    I'm also glad to hear that some people find that pads contribute to comfort. As a currently financially-handicapped individual, I am going to have to utilize what I currently have, such as my RidgeRest for insulation on the bottom of my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Now I am wanting to try one of the DAMs. Slowhike, probably nobody has as much long term experience with DAM in a hammock as you do. Have you had any trouble with the failres of the air mattress? Maybe due to unique stresses caused by the hammock?
    the one i've used most at home is the BA.
    i had problems (as did a lot of others) w/ the BA insulated air core developing leaks... usually a slow leak but sometimes a fast enough leak that you would be flat before morn.
    BA said they had run into problems w/ curtain fabrics & switched. they also replaced 2 BA mats for me.
    the last has done much better but recently it has developed another slow leak, but it's slow enough that not to be a problem through a night.
    i need to put it in the bath tub w/ water to see where the leak is. hopefully it wont be on a seam & i can patch it w/ no problem.

the warmlight i haven't spent much time on.

my favorite for cool/cold weather is the exped DAM 7 (full length).
    i did run into a problem w/ a valve one cold night but it seams to be an isolated case.
    here's the story...
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=612

i've also used it at home some & seen no other issues w/ leaks.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

BillyBob58 --

This is a great thread you've started. I've often wondered about the frequent posts that call pads uncomfortable relative to underquilts and other hammock accouterments. But my experience is limited...I've only hung in a Hennessy and only used the older model, 3/8" Oware pad. From the start, I was ecstatic about the change in comfort that resulted from getting off the ground and was surprised when I saw negative comparisons with other methods/systems.

Hammock comfort during cool nights is a hugely individual thing greatly affected by the specific location, climate, weather systems, etc. But in combination with the rest of the sleep system, the Oware keeps me comfortable into the mid-20s which accommodates my shortened three-season backpacking in my home area. Given that and the smile-inducing comfort, I've not had any motivation to change.

And one other thing gives me no motivation to change...the older, heavier Oware pad weighs 7oz. In other words, the pad is pretty comfortable on by back as well as under it.

FB

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I for one have found the Thermarest self inflatable air mattress with just a little air in it to be the most comfortable. It's way too stiff if inflated too much. In fact in warmer weather I've simply left the air valve open. At times without the mattress, I've actually felt what can only be described as an uneven tightness in the fabric of the hammock which I have found to be slightly uncomfortable and annoying. I suspect it was the degree or lack of, sag I had created. In any event, I've never had that feeling when the Thermarest was inserted.

I'll be able to tell you better in a few days as we just completed making my first underquilt and will be using it a few times this coming week. I'm switching over to the quilt because of condensation issues and buckling of the side wings. I liked the Thermarest but it leaves your shoulders too exposed. Plus it's heavy to carry. I've also experienced far less condensation with the Thermarest than with regular closed cell pads. I can only attribute that to the nylon coating on the Thermarest.

I have used my new synthetic underquilt one night in sub freezing temps and was quite impressed with it. I've also been using a twenty plus year old 20deg bag that has been lived it's entire life IN the stuff bag. I'm in the market for a new one. I'll check back to this thread next week and give you my thoughts as I've been using every pad configuration known to man since my beginning but I'm very hopeful about my underquilt.

Miguel

Images
    Great feedback, every one!

Fiddleback, apparently you do not suffer from sweaty back syndrome. And you must be a bit like Neo. If your comfy to mid 20s with only a 3/8" pad. Read above about how my impression is that 32* was my absolute limit with a 5/8". HOWEVER, again, that was a Ridgerest with the open ridges, which according to Younblood's writings, probably won't be as warm in a hammock as a regular CCF pad of equal thickness.
    ( http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%2...leFoamPads.htm ) Then again, you are also from MONTANA! As opposed to wimpy me who resides in Mississippi!

I'm glad to hear there are a fair number of others who find that, even if pads suck in many ways, they actually improve- at least slightly- things in other areas. It seemed apparent to me that, despite the PIA of getting on one ( especially with the HH though it gets much better with practice- ) and the possible decrease in comfort in some areas - according to many folks - that I had a flatter surface beneath me with both the Speer and HH . However, I'm still not certain of this with the HH, because at the same time I took the SS off. When I later tried this without the SS, but no pad, I also found that I seemed to be able to get flatter as well as do better on my side. Like so many have said before, the SS does interfere with the normal characteristics/geometry of the HH. But it ( the pad ) surely opens things up. And there was no SS to interfere with my Speer, and it also seemed a bit flatter with the pad.

I love my PeaPod, and think pretty highly of my SS. But like I've said here before, those that can be happy with a pad are the lucky ones. If you don't have sweat problems, if you don't have trouble staying on one, IF you don't think it ruins the hammock's comfort, and IF the bulk is not too much hassle- then how can you NOT choose the pad? ( I realize there are quite a few who do not fit the above categories) If you are in the above group, how can you not choose dirt cheap, bombproof ( especially CCF ), windproof, waterproof, probably lightest, and all set for ground use (With or without a ground cloth in the case of CCF)?

That's a long list of positives to argue with IF the potential negatives don't apply to you, or minimally apply. But I also think of my friend from Asheville, NC, who sold me on the PeaPod. He saw my back up SPE on the hike last Sept. He thought it looked great and bought one as soon as he got home. He couldn't stand it and ended up taking it back and getting a 50* PeaPod, which he quickly fell in love with. Apparently, even in a hammock, he thrashes wildly in his sleep. Also, I think he was in a sleeping bag, which made it harder to stabilize the pad with his hands when he would turn over. So he would continually wake up to find he was off of the pad and cold. The irony is, he is still using the pad! To sleep at below 30* in the 50* PeaPod, he said he just put the pad UNDER the hammock, supported by the PeaPod. If he does manage to slip partially off of the pad, it's super easy to just reach under the hammock and slip it back into position. He is real happy using a pad that way, and stays plenty warm.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 02-20-2008 at 11:35.

I use ccf pads and find them quiet comfy in many of the same ways described above! In my HH they allow me to lay flatter and help to spread out the hammock for less shoulder squeeze. I like them even more in my Speer as it has more shoulder squeeze then my HH's. I will say that I only use them in the fall and winter. It's way too hot in the summer...

I use my poncho liner only in the summer(inside hammock). I attach shock cord to the ends of the poncho liner and tie the ends off to the whipping area. This allows the poncho liner to move with me and if I feel a little cool I simply pull the sides over me.

The ccf pads are light weight and I like them better then my self inflating pad.
    I use a full pad and a half pad in the winter. I use a BA +20 bag and with the poncho liner and 2 ccf pads(1 full length and a half length) I slept warm this winter down to 12 and 13 degrees! It is a little of a PIA to "occasionally" make sure the pad is under me but since they are in the BA sleeve it's not enough of an issue to warrent throwing the system out. Works for me....
    Hammock hanging and fly fishing;it just doesn't get any better!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    The 7 cm thick ones fit. The 9 cm thick ones might be too thick, I've never tried those. At 3.5 inches, they are a tad larger than the 3 inch thickness the SPE's were designed for.
    Thanks for the info, Dave!!
    MQ

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I've made it down to 30* with a 3/4 thermarest, a windshield reflector, and a 20* synthetic bag without a tarp. I like the pads, but then again I have never tried an underquilt either.
    Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast