diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch

failed test hang and...

first impressions of the 5oz climashield apex.

so after finally talking a buddy of mine into replacing his hammock stand which his daughter broke last summer figured it would be the perfect opportunity for a test hang in the back yard (i'm an apartment dweller with no yard) perfect

he picked up one of these stands http://hatterashammocks.com/detail.p...00&pp=hammocks on the cheap think that it would work? you'd likely be wrong.

my setup:
    grand trunk single
    amsteel and sliding descender ring suspension
    DIY 5oz apex TQ & UQ
    8' x 10' flat tarp

lets start with the stand: brand spankin new out of the box set it up in the garage with his spreader bar hammock worked like a charm (as it should have) carted it out to the yard and attempted to hang my GT with SRL. easier said than done, with this style of stand the poles are somewhat 'loose' and so when you lay in the hammock after stringing it the two end pieces come together just a bit... by the time i was able to get the GT set so that my back end stayed of the ground when i got in the suspension and the SRL were in line with each other, less than ideal on top of that i wasnt able to get the correct amount of sag and it was too tight (with the correct sag i was sitting on the ground) ended up laying almost in line with hammock...

threw a tarp over the top, hung it from the same hooks as the hammock and as such it was very close and very flat...

went out and crawled in about 5am (working nights and the day time temps are higher than what i am looking to test days 50*+ wanting to test <40*) temp was 35* and using DIY TQ & UQ i was quite comfortable (temp wise) with the exception of the feet which were chilled. wearing cotton socks and should have been wearing wool or cold weather socks. mind that this was hours before my typical bedtime so i was wide awake unable to fall asleep or even nap.... laid there for close to two hours before calling it quits.

final thoughts, next test will have to be stealth down by the river using proper trees.........

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Hey cinnamon,

Too bad the test did not work, you can't beat two trees as a true test platform. Hope the next test goes better.
    Last edited by BLUEFIN 774; 04-17-2011 at 08:13. Reason: typo again, my spacebar is sticking.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I had the identical situation- free hammock stand, major droop when set up- (and that was before I put in the ridgeline) it was all I could do to keep my spine off the base bar; and once the nylon hammock commenced to stretch? good-by comfort! Luckily had more options handy in my yard, once I got longer treestraps. Maybe you need to check with some other friends, see if they have yards with trees? or even fence posts can be made to work...
    HTH, KM

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top &amp; bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    I use a metal hammock stand with ends that also pull inward when my gravitational self settles in.

Since I have ridgelines on all my hammocks anyway, I just use the ridgeline to crank the arms together as much as I can. Of course, the arms still move but that takes off just the right amount of tension off for the perfect sag.

My WBBB is the perfect hammock for this, my double hammock (like an ENO double but not) is almost too long and I risk bottoming out.

The stand I have is designed for gathered end hammocks but still ....

I still have not figured out a good way to do a tarp, so I only sleep out in my yard when there's no rain.

The closest I've come is to attach one end of the tarp's ridgeline to one arm, then create a spring with a bucket of rocks hanging from the other end of the ridgeline, so the bucket keeps tension on the ridge of the tarp as the arms move towards each other.

None of these ideas are original, I read about them all here first!
    -Liz -

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway &amp; Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator &amp; Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Note the jug to weight the tarp ridgeline? A sliding lop around one end of the stand allows the jug to draw the line tight. I tried some bungie cords (all the way around) and found they keep the tarp nice and taut without the jug counter weight and ridgeline though. I have the Byer Vario stand (no suitable trees) for the backyard hammock lab. Once the stand is adjusted right for you the hammock and certain tarps work fine but it takes some "experimentation". For me that meant my hammock had to be set pretty snug before getting into it and the uprights then pulled in when weighted by me in the hammock and made the lay good. I also set one upright to max height (foot end) and the other (head end) several inches lower. YMMV
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 04-19-2011 at 10:41.

• + New Posts