WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    If the Hollow isn't flooded let's do the first night there. Then the hill on Saturday night. then maybe back to the hollow on Sunday. Unless anyone other recommendations.

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Depending on how the roads and trails are, I'll be in the area this weekend. I'm thinking about heading to the pines early on Saturday if I can get there, and playing it by ear from there.
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ & M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    sounds good see you then.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey, HomeMadeHiker, it was good to meet you. Sorry we didn't make it up to the hill Saturday night, but my wife, Cor, slipped at the stream crossing and hurt herself pretty badly--picture a forced "splits" with a loaded pack. She made it up to the turn-off, and may have been able to get to the hill, but I decided that the odds of her being unable to walk out the next morning were too great. So, we bailed. The kids were upset, but they understood. She's better now, but was pretty sore last night.

Hope you guys had a good time up there--sure was a beautiful night here!
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Sorry to here about your wives fall. I hope the cold Fat Tire Ale I gave her at Browning Hollow had nothing to do with it. It was great meeting your family, what a great bunch. Loved your dual hammock set up for you and your kids and dog. Had a great time Friday night ,I think Jay, I mean Gear Head had fun too. What a suprise to run in to you guys at the trailhead. Saw a couple of other Hangers going out Early Saturday Morning.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey, Skyline! Those other two hangers were HomeMadeHiker and Tonka. They came down to Brown Hollow for a while, then went back up to Browning Hill. They were expecting us, but obviously we didn't show.

Great to see you again, too. Tell Gear Head hello for us, it was nice to meet him. I also can't believe we saw you at the trailhead, but it seems that this is the way it is for me now--I can't seem to go anywhere without meeting someone from the forums!

Funny story--when HomeMadeHiker walked into camp, the two of us never having met before, one of the first things he said was "Are you Scott Schowalter?" Ha! Weird to be miles into the woods and meet someone who knows my name....

Anyway, Cor is fine now, just barely sore. She even worked all day in the yard, so I think the worst is behind us. She said the beer was great, but I'm sure it had nothing to do with her fall. Take care!
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq &amp; tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    My girlfriend and I made it down to the pines on Saturday night. She had family stuff to do on Sunday and Monday, so we took both of our cars and I left mine at the south Nebo trail head, then we drove to where Combs Rd becomes closed to motorised vehicles and made the short hike in to the pines. Tonka and HomeMadeHiker stopped in on Sunday around noon and hung out for a bit, and then headed for the hollow not long after my girlfriend headed out. I lounged for a bit and debated between the hill or the hollow for night two, and ended up opting for the hollow because I knew I would want to have plenty of water with the heat we were going to get, and because I thought it might be nice to change my normal reclusive ways and be a little sociable for once. I had a great time hanging out by the fire with Tonka and HomeMadeHiker (Thanks again for the bratwurst. . . it really hit the spot, even though Tonka didn't have any mustard for it in the big bag o' condiments) and swapping a few stories. They packed up and hit the trail early (I've never seen anyone as fixated on getting a McDonalds breakfast as Tonka) and I headed out not too long after them. I followed the trail out of the hollow toward Berry Ridge Road so I could see exactly where it came out for future reference, and then hopped on to the Nebo ridge trail no more than a hundred yards or so up the road from that spot and headed to my car. I normally enjoy the camping a lot more than I do the hiking when I'm out, but I have to say that I really enjoyed the hike out a lot. Aside from a lot of freshly fallen trees across the trail, Nebo was a pretty easy hike for me. I made it back to the car earlier than I usually get out of camp and before the worst heat of the day really set in. I still sweated like crazy, but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. All in all, it was a great weekend.

Bonsai, and Skyline. . . Sorry I missed you guys. I'm sure I'll see you out there some other time though.

HomeMadeHiker, and Tonka. . . It was nice meeting and re-meeting you respectively. I'll be looking forward to seeing you on the trail again some time.
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ &amp; M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images

Ouch

We wondered what happened to you guys. Glad to hear Mrs. Bonsai is no worse for wear. I'm sure there will be a next time....

Man what a great weekend. Thant sort of get away was long over due.
    Thanks to all those we got to share it with.

Hammock
    WWBB
    Tarp
    UQ.com Maxtarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ &amp; M50 UQ
    Suspension
    Dutchness + Straps
    Images
    @Salamander
    Anyone who's gives Tonka a tuff time for his nutritional preoccupations is a friend in my book. In his defense though breakfast @ crap-Donalds was delicious.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12