Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark nx250
    Suspension
    SlapStrap & Whoopi

Is a hammock less gear?

So I totally get that hammocks may be more comfortable, dont have problems with level ground, etc.

But are they less gear than a tent?

With a tent, it seems like you have the tent, a sleeping bag, and a sleeping pad.

With a hammock, you have the hammock, sleeping bag, underquilt(s) or pads etc to get the same level of warmth (especially in winter)

Any comparisons out there?

Hammock
    Clark NA200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 DLX/7 UL
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    The only thing that changes in my setup between my hammock and my tent is the hammock and the tent. Same sleeping bag, same exped pad. And I dont carry a ground cloth with the hammock.

Senior Member backpackingZombie's Avatar
    Hammock
    DB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Arroyo & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies + toggles
    right now my hammock + tarp is slightly heavier than my tent, and takes up more space, but I think I'm far happier.

last summer i think i fractured my tailbone on a **** tree root on the first night of a trip while I was in my tent and just leaned over to grab something. I won't worry about that anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremesh View Post
    The only thing that changes in my setup between my hammock and my tent is the hammock and the tent. Same sleeping bag, same exped pad. And I dont carry a ground cloth with the hammock.
    +1

Just like with anything else, it's how you work your system.

May not be the lightest, but it's the most comfortable for me for the weight..

Don't forget you also have to get a tarp if you're using a hammock which you don't need with a tent.. All about trade-offs and where you started vs. where you're tryin' to go.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I find the hammock a lot more fun....versatile......and comfortable.
    Still have all my tents but they just aren't calling me when i hit the piney woods.
    I was always more of a tarp camper to begin with.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    I would say that it can be more gear definately, and at the best probably the same amount as tent. However, in non bridge hammocks you have no poles and a ccf pad can get you by in the summer with a tq and tarp. If you are really trying to go hyperlite or super minimal gear though, you should go for a cuben fiber tarp and a ccf pad or bivy. I choose hammocks for the comfort, and try to scrape ounces elsewhere, but those are just my priorities
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    Compare comfort level ... How thick of a pad would you need to carry, and how much would it weigh, to compare to a properly set up hammock?

I have inflatables, closed cell, thermarests, and so on ... None of them come close.

I'm thinking perhaps the 4 inch base camp thermarest .... But I'm not sure it would even do the trick for me.

For me the hammock was lighter and once I figured out a few of the tricks, a lot less fiddle factor.... It takes me about 3 minutes from pack to hanging now .... Rig the tarp on it's structural ridge line on my tree straps with attached Dutch clips, slide the tarp out of the snake skins and stake it down, clip the hammock to the alpine butterfly loops on the ridge line with a pair of camp nano biners, and you are hanging!

Under quilt clips on with two mitten hooks in about 10 seconds. Toss in my Topquilt, hang my pack from the ridge line and camp is struck.

It took me longer to fiddle with my tent, climb in and out on the damp ground to get my stuff situated, and just try to stay on that pad all night and keep your arms from touching the cold ground off your pad ....

Nah ... The hammock is much easier.
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Ground set up may be in the same weight ranges as a hammock set up but for me and many others the difference is comfort. I could never get a good nights sleep on a Thermarest but in a hammock I am out for the night. A good nights sleep goes a long way to making a days hike a little easier. For where I will typically be backpacking I'll have more set up options and not limited to findiing level clear ground. Also, a hammock gives me somewhere to sit and lounge vs sitting on the ground. If a tent works for you, that's great and there are certainly areas that a hammock can't be used but weight advantage is not necessarily a factor for me.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post
    Compare comfort level ... How thick of a pad would you need to carry, and how much would it weigh, to compare to a properly set up hammock?

I have inflatables, closed cell, thermarests, and so on ... None of them come close.

I'm thinking perhaps the 4 inch base camp thermarest .... But I'm not sure it would even do the trick for me.

For me the hammock was lighter and once I figured out a few of the tricks, a lot less fiddle factor.... It takes me about 3 minutes from pack to hanging now .... Rig the tarp on it's structural ridge line on my tree straps with attached Dutch clips, slide the tarp out of the snake skins and stake it down, clip the hammock to the alpine butterfly loops on the ridge line with a pair of camp nano biners, and you are hanging!

Under quilt clips on with two mitten hooks in about 10 seconds. Toss in my Topquilt, hang my pack from the ridge line and camp is struck.

It took me longer to fiddle with my tent, climb in and out on the damp ground to get my stuff situated, and just try to stay on that pad all night and keep your arms from touching the cold ground off your pad ....

Nah ... The hammock is much easier.
    Preach! I had a pakmat, 5" loft.. sure made sleeping on the ground nice, when I was actually on it (forget moving around) but didn't hold a candle to my worst night in the trees.

Hammock
    Clark NA200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Synmat 9 DLX/7 UL
    Suspension
    Stock Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    +1

Just like with anything else, it's how you work your system.

May not be the lightest, but it's the most comfortable for me for the weight..

Don't forget you also have to get a tarp if you're using a hammock which you don't need with a tent.. All about trade-offs and where you started vs. where you're tryin' to go.
    I consider my tent rainfly a tarp for the tent

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast