Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post How do you store your tarp?

I just got the Hennessy Hex Fly tarp (heavier one, which is made out of coated polyester) and was wondering how everyone stored their tarps both when they're backpacking and when it's stored in your house.

I know some of you use snake skins, does anyone use a stuff sack? And do you leave it open when not in use in your house?

I just folded mine over a couple of times then rolled it up, I used the excess guy lines that I didn't stow away to tie it once it was wrapped up.
    I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've brought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    I have a PU coated tarp as well, if it is wet when i'm packing it down - i just pitch it when i get home. And when dry, i pull the snake skins over the tarp again and roll it up. Then back in the gear closet
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

So you don't worry about keeping it all smashed up?
    I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've brought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan65 View Post
    I just got the Hennessy Hex Fly tarp (heavier one, which is made out of coated polyester) and was wondering how everyone stored their tarps both when they're backpacking and when it's stored in your house.

I know some of you use snake skins, does anyone use a stuff sack? And do you leave it open when not in use in your house?

I just folded mine over a couple of times then rolled it up, I used the excess guy lines that I didn't stow away to tie it once it was wrapped up.
    All of the above.

My Son's Super Fly is in snake skins as are our Hennessy Hex tarps.

My Integral Designs Sil 8x10 Tarp is stuffed in it's stuff sack.

I have a 10x12 sil tarp that is folded then stuffed into it's integreated stuff sack.

My stock Hennessy and DIY poly are folded, then rolled up with lines wrapped around them.

Our Honeymoon Suite Tarp is stored rolled up while hanging then stuffed in it's sack.

I pack them and store them the same way.

Having said all that, the most convenient way for me is to use snake skins. Easy to hang. Ready to deploy if the weather or bird population dictates. Easy to keep lines together when putting up. Once back in the skins I untie the line from one tree, figure 8 coil it then roll it in the snake skin like a giant cinnamon roll. When I get almost to the end I wrap the last foot or so of snake skin around the "tarp cinnamon roll" to hold it together in a tight package. Lastly I wrap the remaining line around the bundle to finish it off. I know a pic would make more sense but I don't have any to show on this technique.

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Dry and stuffed
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Mule View Post
    Dry and stuffed
    DRY is the real key, it doesn't hurt a tarp to stuff it. In fact, folding it may create stress points if it is folded exactly the same way each time. I have multiple tarps for groups I take on guided canoe trips, and I can tell you from experience that moisture is the main culprit to damaging a tarp in storage. I hang everything and dry it when I get home.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan65 View Post
    So you don't worry about keeping it all smashed up?
    Not the least..... As others have mentioned, the key is making sure it doesn't get stored wet for longer periods, if it does you can have problems with fungus, smell or delamination.

I've had my tarp stored in snakeskins constantly(making sure it is dry, when it hit's the gear closet!) for over a year now, when it is not pitched. And with no problems.
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    I use snakeskins. I also carry a torso-sized Evazote pad. I roll the tarp up inside of the pad, which gets stored underneath my pack.

At home, I string it up in the garage or basement until it is dry. Once dried, skins go back on and the pack is ready to go once I add food.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Mine are all in stuff sacks with a label tag on the drawstring to tell me what is what. Stuff sacks are then put into the "tarp dresser".
    Trust nobody!

Awesome, I thought that stuff sacks would be a "no-no" but I guess not, I think I'm going to have to find a good one for my tarp instead of rolling it up each time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast