Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock

The Bigfoot Trail

http://www.conifercountry.com/Bigfoot_Trail/index.html

There are some videos on the site. Great idea for a trail, most of it uses existing trails. It's on my bucket list.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Extremely cool. Thanks for posting. I'd love to get a chance at this one. I've been working on gear and planning a shakedown thru hike in anticipation of something bigger. This might just be it.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Here is a 9 part video I found of the Siskiyou Crest, some of this shares the Boundry trail with the Bigfoot route.

http://youtu.be/G3dn-smKg9E

Hammock
    DIY gathered end, 11'
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Down UQ + OQ
    Suspension
    Webbing+dutch clip

Thru-hiking Bigfoot Trail again, anyone care to join?

Finished the Bigfoot Trail this summer and it is amazing, especially if you're fond of ginormous trees. Met Michael Kaufman in the process, who is an awesome guy (he's the conifer researcher who wrote Conifer Country and invented the trail). If you need trail/resupply advice, lemme know. I made some maps on CalTopo that served me well, otherwise, all you have to go on is Kaufman's trail notes, which are great but they only go south-to-north and need refining.

I plan on doing it again this spring in order to lay GPS tracks on the whole trail, so if there are any hangers interested in tagging along, lemme know. It's 400 miles for the Bigfoot Trail (BFT?), give or take, and takes about 5-6 weeks if you're a fit hiker, good with a compass, and take a day or two off per week for R&R and exploration. The Klamath is AMAZING offtrail.

I'll be leaving in April and doing the BFT as a segment of a coastal loop: (1) Starting in Covello at the south end of the Yolla Bollys (pot country) (2) hiking the whole length of the BFT from Ides Cove to Oregon and west to Crescent City, then (3) hiking the California Coastal Trail back to the Bay (including the Lost Coast). I've done the Coastal Trail 4 times and the BFT once, but this is my first time combining them. Gonna be an epic journey!

Looking to complete the 900 some-odd miles in 2.5-3 months unless fate intervenes. And yes, you can hang from driftwood on the beach, but it takes some problem solving...

-Wandering Tramp

Scenes from the BFT

100_0272.jpg

100_0122.jpg

100_0314.jpg

• + New Posts