Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UQ or SS.....?

Hammock
    HH Exped SZ

UQ or SS.....?

Just got a HH and I'm trying it out this weekend. In going in with a pad, but I somewhat of a cold sleeper. So I am looking at my options. I don't have slot of money( military pay, if you know what I mean) so I am looking at te HH SS, or te KAQ lost river. I would like opinions on what you'd think is the best option. Mainly CA and AZ is where I do most my hiking, but it gets cold out here at night. Thank you for input.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Hi, welcome to Hammock Forums! What HH did you get?

I would much rather have the KAQ Lost River than a SS. I personally don't care for the SS too much because there's just too much fittle factor. I like to be able to hang my UQ, mess with it a bit till it's right and then forget it. I'm not saying there's no fittle factor with an UQ because there is, just less than a SS. You could also stay with the pad for a while until you save up for a down UQ. My .02

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    I have both the SS and the KAQ and I prefer the KAQ. The SS works good for me if the temps are 35-45*. If it is not in that range, I find it hard to adjust and keep me comfortable. I either sweat or freeze. The KAQ is easier for me to adjust and covers a wider range of temps. I used it from 45* down to 25* with no issues and I'm sure it would be fine warmer but I wouldn't go any lower in temp without some help.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    I went deep down the SS rabbit hole and agree with earlier post that there is quite a bit of fiddle factor with the SS. It worked well for me as long as I was into fussing around.

I found the pad in the HH lasted about 1 hour before I was frustrated.

I bought a used KAQ Potomac, the original model, from another forum member, and found it to be much easier and equally warm. I used it in concert with a space blanket to get into the 20's and with the SS to get down into the teens.

All that being said, I have left HH for a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock and corresponding quilts.

I may consider selling the KAQ, PT me if you are interested and we can negotiate a fair price.

Roger

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i would agree with others as well the HH SS has fiddle factor to it ...
    also i found the HH SS is not for everyone ... so ppl have used it and it works great.. others like myself had no luck with it so it is hit or miss

with an UQ you can use it on any hammock...the SS you can not...yes some ppl will tell you they used it on other hammock but again it's the fiddle factor
    and it's not really made for any hammock other then the HH ....

the SS is $130 new ? .... you can get a 2/3 length KAQ for $125 ... and it will have alot less fiddle factor and can be used on any hammock and has a better resale value as well...

also with a UQ there is no worries about ripping the pad that comes with the SS.... the pad on the SS can rip easy if your not careful ....

just some things to think about ....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

at wilderness logics you can get a synthetic partial length UQ for $85... only heard positive things about these guys on here and from their customers.. Thnk they're rated to 35 degrees. Congrats joining hammock community!. I started with a HHSS and planned on using it on a WBTraveler but the fiddle factor just wasn't appealing to me.. Some people, it's what they love, finding out a way to make a system work.. not me. Quilts for me allow me to keep it stupid simple.

Images
    I posted about this earlier, but it seems to have disappeared into cyberspace. So if a double post shows up, please excuse me!

Several years ago I also used to think there was a lot to getting the super shelter to work correctly– fiddle factor. Now I am in the opposite camp. Once you install the super shelter as directed – a really simple procedure with the newer models especially – and lay the space blanket out on top of the pad, I don't see that there is much else to fiddle with. If you have the side tie out elastics of the hammock through the side tie out loop on the pad, there's just really not much else to do. You can't make much adjustment even if you want to. And if you just leave the super shelter on the hammock until the heat of summer and pack the whole thing in a large stuff sack or inside your pack, again there's nothing else to do. It just comes down to at that point: it either works for you or it doesn't. Unfortunately that seems to be a bit of a gamble.

For me( 4 years now), it has been good from the mid-to high 30s up into the 50s or 60s with no noted problems. Some others have gone much colder. I love the resistance to wind and wind blown snow/rain/fog. All of which can become factors with other UQs unless your tarp is big enough and pitched perfectly. Or unless you add a separate sock.

I have also never had any condensation issues. There are no worries about gaps on the end, or being adjusted too tight or too loose, or suspension elastics loosening up during the night. You just attach as directed and lay down. It pretty much fits just one way. But several people have had condensation issues, been cold or both. Who can say if you would? you may well. That was a better gamble before the sale ended a week or so ago. The entire standard SS and over cover was $99. It is a bit more of a gamble now.

The fiddle factor does increase once you start trying to push the SS past its normal limits. By adding jackets not being slept in (or what ever is available) into the undercover to gain a substantial boost in warmth. But still, I personally find this very easy to do. And if you exceed the warmth rating of any other under quilt, you will also have to come up with something to increase the warmth. Plus you will have to possibly had some sort of sock to duplicate the wind/rain blocking function of the SS UC.

At the same time, down or Climashield UQs and PeaPods have their own set of advantages, like more compressible and maybe more insulation all in one package. (And often a good bit more expensive) In case you need warmer than the SS can go by itself. I know because I have several of them, and both systems have their pros and cons. And probably – for the gram weenies – the lightest approach is one of the torso under quilts used with the leg pad when needed. Or, don't forget the new offerings in IX ( MMP or TTTrailgear) under quilts. The newest models seem to be working much more consistantly for more people. This can be a very light approach if it works for you.

Have fun deciding!

PS:
    Forgot to say: Most likely, you are going to only be able to use the HHSS on a HH hammock. ( a few have reported success on a WBBB, maybe others?) Which is fine if that is the only hammock you have. Compared for ex to a JRB MW UQ. Which works great on about any hammock, and works better than any other combo I know of on a JRB bridge hammock.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 04-09-2011 at 11:31.

Hammock
    HH Exped SZ
    WOW, thanks alot guys. Im already learning abunch here. I think I will try the pad, cuz its here and then go with a UQ B/C of its versatility. I too, am not big into fiddling with much, especially if its getting in the way of me racking out for the night. Being in the military(Career), I have had to do my fair share of rigging, but when it comes to my own gear, I want simplicity, and the UQ seems to be a lil simpler. I wasnt sold on the SS to begin with, granted the guys over at HH are smart people with great products and outstanding quality. I heard issues with the pad not getting back into to the stuff sack, and I wasnt liking the space blanket idea, seems like not enough R/D went into it. Maybe its just me, but I didnt like the idea of buying the SS, just to have to get a space blanket as well. Why didnt they make the pad a bit better. its like buying a brand new car, but before you can drive it, you have to make your own key, you know... so it looks like I will go with the UQ. thanks all.
    Javaman, Ill hit you up and see what we can come up with.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with 2QZQ
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a Hennessy hammock and have tried to stay warm in vain. I just picked up an UQ and that is the ticket. No space blanket and dry grass trying to keep my butt warm - just 900 fill goose down.

The underquilt is not fiddle free but the fiddling is modest and simple. If you get an underquilt, I suggest a full length size or else you are back to fiddling again. My full length Incubator is very nice. I can't wait to push its limits.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TeeDee and I are in total agreement with BillyBob on this one. The Hennessy SS is the only under insulation for a gathered end hammock for us that just works with minimal fiddling - assuming that you follow the directions and install as per the instructions. (The first question of any tech support person: have you plugged it into the socket? The second question: have you read and followed the instructions?).

There is not a lot of fiddle factor if you do as Hennessy instructs.

As for fiddle factor, I have read many, many posts by members on how they are totally frustrated in trying to adjust their under quilt while responders don't understand since they had almost no trouble. Again it seems to be a highly personal thing as to the amount of fiddle factor.

As to how well it works - that is pretty much like asking what is the lowest temp for a sleeping bag - varies widely for each person. Some people it works very well and some people not so well.

The only under insulation that I have found to be easier to use are TeeDee's under quilts for our Bridges - zero adjustment needed.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast