Hammock
    WL lite owl
    Tarp
    camo BMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Cross timbers is 14 miles one way, with a 2 mile loop about 4 miles in. So if you don't use a shuttle you can do an out and back including the loop both ways and make it a 32 mile outing. Its not exactly "into the wild" it passes through a couple of marinas, and you can see plenty of houses from different parts of the trail, but it does have some nice hang spots and good fishing since it follows along the shore of lake texoma

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    WolfTrack, is the Chickasaw Rec Area near you?
    anyway I was hoping for something in the pandhandle area. I'll be at Alibates Flint in not too long.

Hammock
    WL lite owl
    Tarp
    camo BMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    WolfTrack, is the Chickasaw Rec Area near you?
    anyway I was hoping for something in the pandhandle area. I'll be at Alibates Flint in not too long.
    About an hour and a half north. Never been there myself.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    oooh, MM! I have been wondering about that Alibates Flint site- please be sure to post a trip report?

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    Crow's Nest/RayWay
    Images
    don't rule out Guadalupe Mts. Natl. Park in West Tx. http://www.nps.gov/gumo/index.htm

several trails, not long (8-9 miles) but lots of gain vertically and the scenery is beautiful. it's very windy at Guadalupe so best not go in the spring. there's a stand of maple that's beautiful as it changes color in the fall. also, Carlsbad Caverns is nearby.

sky
    "The power of the imagination makes us infinite."

John Muir

Hammock
    Wraith UL, XLC ,Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ & Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow,TeWa,GoLite
    Suspension
    Whoopie, Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf track View Post
    Cross timbers is 14 miles one way, with a 2 mile loop about 4 miles in. So if you don't use a shuttle you can do an out and back including the loop both ways and make it a 32 mile outing. Its not exactly "into the wild" it passes through a couple of marinas, and you can see plenty of houses from different parts of the trail, but it does have some nice hang spots and good fishing since it follows along the shore of lake texoma
    I LOVE this trail, just did it a few weeks ago. There are parts that are very secluded and parts that make you feel like you're almost walking through a nieghborhood. I saw 3 other people the whole time.
    Rockhound: “Hey, Harry.”
    Harry: “Yeah, Rock?”
    Rockhound: “You know we're sitting on 4 million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon, and a thing that has two hundred and seventy thousand moving parts, built by the lowest bidder!”

Hammock
    WBBB dbl. 1.7
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    High BMI
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    I second the Guadalupe Mtns. It's on my to do list this year. You also get the highest spot in Texas as a bonus. There was a great write up in the December 2010 issue of Backpacker magazine. If you have never been to Big Bend, you need to go. Just eat the half day drive, it is well worth the trip. I love it down there. If you go down there after May, stay in the mountain area. There are over 120 miles of trails in the National park alone. My wife's goal is to cover every one of those miles some day! Quite the goal, but a good excuse to keep going back. I live near Big Spring, so west is the closest thing to me. You could also get to Cloudcroft, NM in about the same time as BB and get some mountain hiking in. I hope to do that this summer to get a little altitude relief from the summer heat.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WBBB BMJ
    Insulation
    AHE LR, Enlightene
    Quote Originally Posted by txdiamond17 View Post
    I second the Guadalupe Mtns. It's on my to do list this year. You also get the highest spot in Texas as a bonus. There was a great write up in the December 2010 issue of Backpacker magazine. If you have never been to Big Bend, you need to go. Just eat the half day drive, it is well worth the trip. I love it down there. If you go down there after May, stay in the mountain area. There are over 120 miles of trails in the National park alone. My wife's goal is to cover every one of those miles some day! Quite the goal, but a good excuse to keep going back. I live near Big Spring, so west is the closest thing to me. You could also get to Cloudcroft, NM in about the same time as BB and get some mountain hiking in. I hope to do that this summer to get a little altitude relief from the summer heat.
    cloudcroft is really cool, i went there a few years back when i had to work in Abq NM for 4 months. i would love to go back to south NM.

Hammock
    DIY zipper mod Hennessy EXP
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf track View Post
    This is still a great hike...back in the late 80s it was pretty remote.
    I went back in the fall of 2009 and like someone else said.. felt like I was walking through neighborhoods in some places... but still a great place to go..

I am heading to Pecos wilderness NM next week to go play in the mountains..
    wish I did not have to go so far... but it is summer in Texas!

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    Quote Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
    thanks guys, i was afraid of that. i've been going off the texas hikes site and TPWD. i've explored a little bit of san angelo during archery season but not much of it.

i'm looking at maybe doing bastrop since i'm gonna have to travel and maybe in the fall come over to the lone star trail for a few days or hit lost maples for the color change.

thanks for ya'lls help
    Lost Maples when the color changes will not be in solitude think of being at the mall on black friday, seriously. It is beautiful but wow on the crowds.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12