Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images

dont think it will be a problem

we've hung every other week in the Smokys for the last 8 weeks.
    But since its the 'busy' season we've been very legit (mostly, we did stealt once near the Cataloochee Divide) and been at the real
    campsites, even some that required res. which we had.
    Now I have to say we have only seen one ranger, this last weekends hike at the trailhead near roadtonowhere and she was on day hike patrol.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Then there is the gray area; hanging inside the shelters. Pretty sure this is technically illegal since there are signs in the shelters telling you not to set-up your tent in the shelters. While not a tent, I think it would be a lame argument to make to a Ranger.
    One could argue that a hammock and tarp is equivalent to a tent and a hammock alone is equivalent to a sleeping bag. "I'm not setting up my "tent-equivalent" in the shelter. I'm setting up my "sleeping bag equivalent." I think that's reasonable.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett

GSMNP shelter strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    One could argue that a hammock and tarp is equivalent to a tent and a hammock alone is equivalent to a sleeping bag. "I'm not setting up my "tent-equivalent" in the shelter. I'm setting up my "sleeping bag equivalent." I think that's reasonable.
    I would also use this argument as a defense against criticism of in-shelter hanging. If not enough room to hang in shelter without disturbing other guests, then I would define the shelter as "full" and hang "in the vicinity" outside. I'd be very surprised if this did not work to allow hanging without bringing a separate pad, etc, at least 99% of the time. I've noticed that it only takes a few hikers to "fill" a shelter
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Backcountry Rules and Regulations
    Reservations and permits are required for all overnight stays in the backcountry. To make reservations, please visit the backcountry reservation website.

Backpackers and hikers are expected to follow all park regulations. Failure to do so may result in a fine of up to $5,000 per violation and/or 6 months in jail. In addition to the regulations listed on the information page of the backcountry reservation website, the list below contains other park regulations particularly relevant to backpackers and hikers.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/

Yep, hammocks still allowed.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Backcountry Rules and Regulations
    Reservations and permits are required for all overnight stays in the backcountry. To make reservations, please visit the backcountry reservation website.

Backpackers and hikers are expected to follow all park regulations. Failure to do so may result in a fine of up to $5,000 per violation and/or 6 months in jail. In addition to the regulations listed on the information page of the backcountry reservation website, the list below contains other park regulations particularly relevant to backpackers and hikers.

https://www.nps.gov/grsm/
    Here is the relevant parts...
    General Backcountry Regulations
    1. Camping is permitted only at designated backcountry campsites and shelters.

2. You may not stay at any backcountry campsite for more than 3 consecutive nights. You may not stay consecutive nights at campsite 113 or at any shelter.

8. Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites. They may not be used inside shelters and may not be attached to shelters in any way.

13. Carving into or defacing trees, signs, shelters or other backcountry features is illegal.

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    Here is the relevant parts...
    General Backcountry Regulations
    1. Camping is permitted only at designated backcountry campsites and shelters.

2. You may not stay at any backcountry campsite for more than 3 consecutive nights. You may not stay consecutive nights at campsite 113 or at any shelter.

8. Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites. They may not be used inside shelters and may not be attached to shelters in any way.

13. Carving into or defacing trees, signs, shelters or other backcountry features is illegal.
    Can this be interpreted to mean that one can't just hammock camp where one wishes, even if a particular designated camping area is already full of other campers? I have never been to this park, but it seems a lot more restrictive than Shenandoah National Park back country rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    Can this be interpreted to mean that one can't just hammock camp where one wishes, even if a particular designated camping area is already full of other campers? I have never been to this park, but it seems a lot more restrictive than Shenandoah National Park back country rules.
    It is more restrictive. In the Smokies, you camp at designated backcountry campsites, while in Shenandoah you practice dispersed camping. You need a backcountry permit from GSMNP to camp and you have to specify your dates and sites. Each site has a defined capacity, and when that capacity is reached you are unable to book it. But the campsites are mostly designated areas in the woods with some fire rings, bear cables, and loosely defined camping area, as opposed to tent pads and well defined sites, so you can always work a hammock in.

For $4/night and no entry fee, it is the best deal in National Parks camping that I'm aware of.

https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitTypeID=1
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

I hammocked the Smokies during my thru.

Picked up my neoair at Fontana - had to use it two nights in shelters. The rest of the time they were close enough to full to set up (unless the weather is so bad you yearn for the shelter...it happens).

Once a ranger even came in and said that it was full enough and let us set up nearby.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC Double Layer
    Tarp
    Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Wooki 30 degree UQ
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    Just a comment I thought may be useful about why the feeling of restriction...

The national parks are established as preserves in many ways. And frankly GSMNP is closer to most of the population and thus is heavily visited park so they try to minimize our impact on it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast