Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    DIY primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slingin'

Hanging around on a whim

Hi all,

Being quite new to the hi-tec way of hangin around i took it upon myself to join up and learn what i could from you fine folk!!

So here is my dilemma, i have done some extensive research on here about the new fandangle whoopie slings (yes i read all 70 pages) what i found out from here is that they are fantastic, lightweight, thin and completely beat all other forms of suspension. But being over this side of the pond it is real hard finding a source for Amsteel cord, or any other sort that has been named.

So what i have done is search through my cordage pile (35l box) for what is used as yachtsman cord, decorative and working line. I have a few friends that work for a fantastic climbing manufacturer in Wales which i sent off to test the breaking strain, very kindly of them they done what i asked and told me it was a go!! Obviously they broke it but they told me that the breaking strain was 62.750 lbs breaking strength per 4ft, the sling i made up had a breaking strain of 58.654 lbs per 5ft whoopie sling.

Fantastic stuff, so i spent the last 13 hrs hangin around in my hammock testing it out, having a bit of a bounce and weighting it down with me and some gear. I think i can safely say that its fare game for this cord.

I made up to lengths for each end and a few Karabiner replacements as well as something for my rucksack (double ended buried loops)

What do you guys think?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I love elevation!!

Hammock
    Life adventure sleeplight MOD
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    DIY primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slingin'
    Just to add this cord is 4-5mm wide, i am very used to hanging from thin ropes when climbing around the rocks but this seams almost wrong
    I love elevation!!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Images
    Have to admire your can-do attitude! And 35L cordage box!!!

(BTW If you decide to try with Amsteel or Dyneema, I believe if you google English Braids (Dyneema SK-75 etc.) and Marlow ropes (Excel D12 etc) you'll find some UK suppliers.)

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Reddenmarine.com ships international if I remember correctly.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    DIY primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
    Have to admire your can-do attitude! And 35L cordage box!!!

(BTW If you decide to try with Amsteel or Dyneema, I believe if you google English Braids (Dyneema SK-75 etc.) and Marlow ropes (Excel D12 etc) you'll find some UK suppliers.)
    Hey sturgeon,

Yes they are mostly off cuts but there are some really good bits of cord in there, alot of the 550 stuff i give away for free in some orders i get. The rest i use in all manor of DIY jobs.

Thank you for the names they have definately shed some light, I dont know why we all just call it one name!!
    I love elevation!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Welcome! Looking good on the cordage. I have a couple of questions. First, I don't understand the breaking strength. If your sling is 10 feet then your breaking strength is 117 lbs? How much do you weigh? Second, in the picture it looks like there's a little cordage sticking out of the end buries. Just wondering if you didn't fully bury them for some added insurance against it being accidentally pulled through?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB Traveller Dbl 1.7
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie
    Being as the OP is in England, I imagine he's using periods in place of commas in the numbers.
    Mike

Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    DIY primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Welcome! Looking good on the cordage. I have a couple of questions. First, I don't understand the breaking strength. If your sling is 10 feet then your breaking strength is 117 lbs? How much do you weigh? Second, in the picture it looks like there's a little cordage sticking out of the end buries. Just wondering if you didn't fully bury them for some added insurance against it being accidentally pulled through?
    I wasnt too sure if any one would get what i was talking about, i think i dont sometimes, my brain works in overload proportions.

I weigh 162lbs, which means im covered by the two whoopie slings.
    e.g. 117lbs x 2 = 234lbs I have worked out the math as i have to do it alot when climbing, breaking strains written on most items are over rated for a reason. Actually getting these slings tested was ideal to make sure, because if most of you look at them you wouldnt believe what they could hold lol.

Also the tab ends sticking out of the end buries protects from pulling through, it has happened many a time with my climbing rigs and theres no chance of re burying in the field or hanging 1000ft up on a mountain!!
    I hope it can give an insight to a little safety feature i have used for years there are many cross overs with some of the stuff i have been doing.

After i buried the end i pull out a tag end and singe it with a heat source then tidy it up as if you were "milking", i do this with all my tag ends after burying, just incase there was a slip on this cord it cannot come through. At first i used a knot to make sure when testing i wouldnt hit the deck

But i have continuously bounced on this cord and have had no slippage or sign of it not being able to hold me.

hope this helps
    I love elevation!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Thats what I figured about the ends.

Even though the breaking strength covers your weight I'd still be a little leary. You probably know more about it than me since you have climbing experience, it's just that many members recommend and use gear that us rated for very high breaking strength usually over 1000 lbs.

Also keep in mind that the closer to parallel your suspension gets, the more exponential force is exerted on the suspension so its good to have very high breaking strength.

Just some thoughts is all.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    DIY primaloft UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Thats what I figured about the ends.

Even though the breaking strength covers your weight I'd still be a little leary. You probably know more about it than me since you have climbing experience, it's just that many members recommend and use gear that us rated for very high breaking strength usually over 1000 lbs.

Also keep in mind that the closer to parallel your suspension gets, the more exponential force is exerted on the suspension so its good to have very high breaking strength.

Just some thoughts is all.
    Thanks for the reply Bubba,

Oh i will be very very weary about the slings i have been staring at them the whole time im in the hammock, i think your spot on with the parallel hanging you reminded me, i will probably hang it at more of an angle as i did with my straps.

At least it is something new in the cyberspace world!!

But i still plan on getting Amsteel whoopies
    I love elevation!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast