Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    I went by Joann's and looked at the dyes (Ritt and Dylon), not a big selection there. They only had one gray Ritt Dye, NO gray in Dylon. I was hoping to do a digital camo, but they did not have the colors i wanted. They did have the Simply Spray Camouflage Pack that JohnSawyer showed a pic of. The colors in it are Sand, Brown, and Olive. So i picked it up for $12.99 plus tax. On the back of the pack it has instructions on
    "How to create a camouflage T-shirt:
    Spray the shirt all over with Sand to create a tan background. Lay shirt flat, and scrunch up fabric of shirt to create folds - spray with brown. Then flatten shirt again, and scrunch again in a different direction, and spray with Olive. This will give you a great all-over camouflage look."
    They also had a couple woodland type stencils drawn on the back of the package you could make copies of and cut out.

So i staked it out over my driveway and scrunched and painted. The paint looks like it is sticking and it is a soft fabric paint so hopefully it will last. I took that pic with it still wet. It looks like the colors are fading some as it dries. It says to let dry for 24 hours and do not wash for 72 hours. I figure i will wait several days and try the water hose on it to see if it washes out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Terry_Dodson; 04-02-2011 at 11:58. Reason: added other pic

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    Also, there is not much paint in the cans, so not much coverage.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Looks pretty good, Terry. So, you used all the paint in all three cans on your tarp? If so, one would end up spending quite a bit of $$$ to get rid of the white completely, eh? THANK YOU for posting your pictures!!!!

This from Arcsandsparks in another thread on the same subject:

I don't personally own one but I believe they are PU coated on one side...I'm not 100% thought. If that is the case I know I can airbrush on the non coated side and it works. You must heat set it though. It can be tricky..just a light heat setting with a iron or using a heat gun (from a distance). I bet there is a dye out there that would work but I would think that would be tedious and messy...
    Last edited by Pipsissewa; 04-02-2011 at 13:19.
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    Yep used up all 3 cans. They are only 2.5 oz cans. I only did one side, the outside which has the extra tie outs on it. My tarp is not really white, it is a light light green. I may look around hobby lobby or somewhere and see if i can find individual cans of that kind of paint or something similar. if it is fairly cheap i may get a couple if i can find the colors i like. It actually went pretty quickly, i did not let it dry between colors, just waited a couple minutes then scrunched. I doubt it took more that 30 minutes from start to hanging up to dry.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Certainly looks better than the stock color. I'm considering getting a larger can of black and just lightly tiger-striping mine.

Does the color rub off at all?

Very nice!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    I have not tried rubbing it yet, the package said let dry 24 hours washable after 72, so i figured i would wait several days before i even tried doing anything to it. The colors do seem to lighten up as it dries, maybe the black will dry a gray if not held in one spot too long or further away. I saw a tiger stipe stencil at Hobby Lobby for i believe $4.99, it was over 2 feet long , but i did not get it, i figured they would have stencils at Joanns. but i only saw a couple stencils there and no camo type ones.

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    It has been close to 24 hours so i tried rubbing it gently and it did not rub off, i wet my finger and tried and it still did not rub off. I did not try hard or all over just a couple spots, but it does seem to be on there pretty good. 2 more days and i will try the water hose on it.

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    Here are a couple mopre pics since it has had time to dry (24 Hours).
    Attached Images Attached Images

So this..... Simply Spray stuff is supposed to work on nylon???? Gotta get me some of that. My wife is the artist in the family so I will get her to paint me a woodland scene... I should blend in like Predator then...... LOL

Hammock
    HammockBliss no see um
    Suspension
    home made webbing
    Images
    It seems to be holding on pretty good so far. I am going to hit it with a water hose Wednesday afternoon and see if it washes off, but it did not rub off when i used my finger on it. Remember those cans are super small, not much paint in them for coverage. If you find bigger cans let me know.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast