Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Tarp
    thick plastic

Backyard set up...distance between poles

I want to set up a hang in my back yard, do not own my hammock yet, is there an average distance between poles that I can use. I was tentatively planning 8 foot apart. I want to concrete in 4 x 4 post, not sure how deep in I have to set them in ground either, or how high off ground. Yes major newbie here. Any help would be appreciated.
    The possitive friction created by the interaction of two or more energizes us to grow.
    In the rush and noise of life, as you have intervals, step home within yourself and be still.William Penn
    All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit quiet in a room alone...Blaise Pasqal
    A good rest is half the work...Yugoslavian Proverb
    There should be in the soul halls of peace, avenues of leisure, and high porticoes of silence...Jeremy Taylor

Hammock
    WBBB SL Lefty /Traveler
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti,0*Phnx,Burrow
    Suspension
    Stuff from Dutch!
    Images
    I usually find trees approx 15ft apart.
    my tarp has a 10ft ridgeline

8ft would be short

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Some folks have had 4x4s that have been set in concrete break on them. May want to ask around before you go that route.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Tarp
    thick plastic
    thats a great help, thank you muchly, step one...now what length 4x4, how deep in ground and how much above ground...
    The possitive friction created by the interaction of two or more energizes us to grow.
    In the rush and noise of life, as you have intervals, step home within yourself and be still.William Penn
    All men's miseries derive from not being able to sit quiet in a room alone...Blaise Pasqal
    There should be in the soul halls of peace, avenues of leisure, and high porticoes of silence...Jeremy Taylor

Tarp
    thick plastic
    I cannot imagine a 4x4 breaking so thanks for the heads up...all suggestions would be great, I do not have trees available in back yard

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I would have at least 8 ft. above ground, and I would have a brace on the inside of each pole running at an angle toward the center. There is a lot of torque on those uprights. Trees have incredibly wide root systems with many points of attachment. A 4by straight down in the ground not so much.

I am putting some poles down by my pond for hanging, going to be 16' apart, 8 ' above ground, 3' below with either a diagonal brace going to the inside or a deadman of buried concrete and cable to the outside of each. The deadman is similar to what power companies use with utility poles. Just some ideas.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could also set those poles in at an angle ......
    I would go 12 to 15 feet apart and sink those poles at least 3 feet.
    Whooooo Hangin'....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I plan to buy some power pole cut offs from a local place here where I live. They sell them for like $1 a foot. I am thinking 3' in the ground and 15' across. Was thinking 7' above ground, but might go 8'. I have a steel 4x4 commercial shelf post that I plan to run across the top between post, that way I can use it to hang a bench style swing when not hanging the hammock.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Tarp
    thick plastic
    OK...12 foot poles, concreted 3 to 4 foot in, at an angle and with a cross brace at top, wires to anchor...I will even look to see if we resell the utility poles nearby...
    Thank you for all of your help fellow travelers...hangin out

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Tarp
    ENO DryFly
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    When I built my hammock stand for the backyard I first intended to use posts in the ground. I felt it would be sturdy but I would be locked in to one place. I'm like you and do not have any trees in my backyard that would be of any size to hold me, so I built a hammock stand with some wood that I picked up from the local hardware store. It does the same job as two post stuck in the ground, but a little more complicated and mobile. Either way, welcome to hammock camping.

The picture below is the setup I made to hang in the backyard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast