Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks for the kind welcome everybody. It looks like I'm going to have to decide which features I like the most.

I like the pockets on the Clarks, the side entry of the Clark and Claytor, the double layered bottom of the Claytor for adding a pad, and the JRB appears to be an excellent idea. I'm just concerned about the shoulder room. I've got some thinking to do.

One last question. I've read on this site of people buying rings, a climbing clip, etc to enhance the stock tree attachment points on their hammock. Of all the hammocks is there one that doesn't need anything extra in this area? For example I think it was a Claytor where someone was talking about buying this extra stuff to replace the stock attachment cables.

I'd reccomend a hennessy but that is all I've used. I used mine last year in Okefenokee Swamp and had no problem entering and exiting and keeping skeeters out of the hammock, this MAY be an issue with a side loader in FL, maybe others could offer advice here.

Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    I used mine last year in Okefenokee Swamp and had no problem entering and exiting and keeping skeeters out of the hammock, this MAY be an issue with a side loader in FL, maybe others could offer advice here.
    Good point. Maybe someone else with a side loader in a mosquito prone area will chime in...

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RossinFL View Post
    Thanks for the kind welcome everybody. It looks like I'm going to have to decide which features I like the most.

I like the pockets on the Clarks, the side entry of the Clark and Claytor, the double layered bottom of the Claytor for adding a pad, and the JRB appears to be an excellent idea. I'm just concerned about the shoulder room. I've got some thinking to do.

One last question. I've read on this site of people buying rings, a climbing clip, etc to enhance the stock tree attachment points on their hammock. Of all the hammocks is there one that doesn't need anything extra in this area? For example I think it was a Claytor where someone was talking about buying this extra stuff to replace the stock attachment cables.
    Take a long hard look at both the clark and the claytor both are what most call side or top loaders both have nice bug nets the claytor is wider than the Clark for what I can gather I am a 6' foot somthing deepending on which convenunt story I am running out of and way 240 lbs and very broad at the shoulders and fit in my clark just fine.

But I wont buy anything from thialand if I can at all keep from it.

I use ENO slapstraps and tie a beaner to attach it to the slapstraps

just my .5 cent worth

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images

Most hammocks don't need these things, it just makes set-up much quicker/easier. I use cinch buckles/webbing/carabiners.
    http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.p...d=118&parent=4
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Good point. Maybe someone else with a side loader in a mosquito prone area will chime in...
    I've used the following in Florida: Hennessy Explorer; Trek Light Double with DIY bugnet; and my trusty Warbonnet. The TL Double with the bugnet let the most bugs in BY FAR. I think it's just due to the fact that it takes a few more seconds to get in and get the bugnet zipped up than the others and it is a wider 'door' for the bugs to zip right in. The Hennessy, for all my issues with it, is probably the best at keeping the bugs out. The Warbonnet is a very close second. Difference being on a bug free night, I can unzip the Warbonnet a few inches and get some killer ventilation right by my head. Very nice to have that option on a hot and humid Florida night.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 02-06-2008 at 13:07.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    Brian (TBACK) from
    Tampa area has vast experience camping in summer in the Florida swamps.

He found that the Florida Swamp mosquitos would bite right through the bottom of a Hennessy, and I believe, every single ply hammock. He had to go to a double ply hammock to get relief.

Another chronic problem, unless you spend the relatively big bucks for a down under quilt, is sleeping on a camp mat inside the hammock. I found it rather uncomfortable. I felt like a bug mounted on a slide, under a microscope. I toss around a lot while I sleep. This wasn't possible. Again, the Zhammock (double layer or two ply) to the rescue.

If you don't want to make one, the clark and/or the Claytor have a double bottom and would do quite nicely.

Neo a regular here, but absent recently, found an eBay hammock from asia (thailand) which he spoke highly of. It has many of the same features as the more expensive name brands. Search for Neo's posts to find his writeup.

Again, welcome to the forum and good luck with your search for comfort in the woods.

Tom

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    He found that the Florida Swamp mosquitos would bite right through the bottom of a Hennessy, and I believe, every single ply hammock. He had to go to a double ply hammock to get relief.p.Tom
    That's another really good point! They WILL try to bite you through the bottom of the hammock. I have treated all my hammocks with peremethrin. It kills them dead before they can bite. It was developed for ticks (and works great), but also works fantastic against those mosquitoes. Treat the material then let dry before you use. DO NOT USE ON YOUR SKIN!!!!!! The treatment will last about a month to a month and a half even with washing. Great stuff!

Never been bitten since I started using it and I've literally watched a tick crawl an inch or so up my sock before falling off and dying. Helps pass the time in camp.
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    Brian (TBACK) from
    Tampa area has vast experience camping in summer in the Florida swamps.

He found that the Florida Swamp mosquitos would bite right through the bottom of a Hennessy, and I believe, every single ply hammock. He had to go to a double ply hammock to get relief.

Another chronic problem, unless you spend the relatively big bucks for a down under quilt, is sleeping on a camp mat inside the hammock. I found it rather uncomfortable. I felt like a bug mounted on a slide, under a microscope. I toss around a lot while I sleep. This wasn't possible. Again, the Zhammock (double layer or two ply) to the rescue.

If you don't want to make one, the clark and/or the Claytor have a double bottom and would do quite nicely.

Neo a regular here, but absent recently, found an eBay hammock from asia (thailand) which he spoke highly of. It has many of the same features as the more expensive name brands. Search for Neo's posts to find his writeup.

Again, welcome to the forum and good luck with your search for comfort in the woods.

Tom
    HI Tom,

Great info, thanks a lot. Mostquitos are a given when camping in anything other than the dead of winter. I was aware that the Claytor has a pocket beneath it but didn't know the Clark did. Are you speaking of the Clark pockets? If so I guess I would have to see how much of my back would be covered on a Clark Tropical as that seems like the best fit for me in the Clark lineup. The NA seems very nice but in my case I think the additional ventilation of the Tropical would trump the additional pockets in the Clark.

Thanks,
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    have treated all my hammocks with peremethrin. It kills them dead before they can bite. It was developed for ticks (and works great), but also works fantastic against those mosquitoes. Treat the material then let dry before you use. DO NOT USE ON YOUR SKIN!!!!!! The treatment will last about a month to a month and a half even with washing. Great stuff!

Never been bitten since I started using it and I've literally watched a tick crawl an inch or so up my sock before falling off and dying. Helps pass the time in camp.
    Also very good info Cannibal. Down here I will probably have to get some peremethrin. Thanks....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12