Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I bought the same brand stuff from Tractor Supply Company, in a 32 oz bottle (10% permethrin) recently for about $18.00. About the same price as I paid for a 24 oz bottle of .5% Sawyer's at REI last year. The Sawyer's worked great and I hope the Gordon's will too, once I dilute it to .5%.

But I do have a question. Sawyer's does not say what the 99.5% inert ingredients are, but Gordon's does say "contains petroleum distillates." Those worry me more than the permethrin active ingredient. Don't petroleum distillates melt some synthetic fabrics?! Also, will it dilute well and mix well with water?

Rain Man

Thats a good question, I never thought to look at the inert ingredients, maybe the Sawyer inert ingredients are different than Gordon's???

Might be a good question to ask Sawyer!? As their response to me(which you saw) was that it was safe for the application to those fabrics! There was some discussion at one point about the degradation of fabrics from the application of Permethrin, so it might be plausible to say that it is the inert's that were possibly causing it??? All I know is I have treated almost everything with Sawyers and have yet to have a issue, also Cannibal has been doing the Sawyer treatment for quite sometime without issue as well!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    But I do have a question. Sawyer's does not say what the 99.5% inert ingredients are, but Gordon's does say "contains petroleum distillates." Those worry me more than the permethrin active ingredient. Don't petroleum distillates melt some synthetic fabrics?! Also, will it dilute well and mix well with water?
    I tried to look up and make sense of the CAS#'s, but quite honestly got lost in all the terminology.

It mixes up milky white and does not have an objectionable odor beyond the smell of the permethrin itself. I dunked one item at a time in the 5 gallon bucket, swished and wrung out, hung up to dry. Total time in the wet solution was probably 20-30 seconds each and whatever time it took to dry inside a hot garage.

The materials I soaked included, nylon, polyester, leather, and other sorts of synthetic fabrics. I could not detect any differences.

Also I should mention that I undressed before going into the house, leaving my clothes out on the back porch and skipped naked right into the bathroom for a shower. Gotta give my Amish neighbors something to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    It mixes up milky white and does not have an objectionable odor beyond the smell of the permethrin itself. I dunked one item at a time in the 5 gallon bucket, swished and wrung out, hung up to dry. Total time in the wet solution was probably 20-30 seconds each and whatever time it took to dry inside a hot garage.

The materials I soaked included, nylon, polyester, leather, and other sorts of synthetic fabrics. I could not detect any differences.

Also I should mention that I undressed before going into the house, leaving my clothes out on the back porch and skipped naked right into the bathroom for a shower. Gotta give my Amish neighbors something to talk about.

did you were just any old pair of gloves to dunk and wring them out
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    did you were just any old pair of gloves to dunk and wring them out
    Nope, just dunk, wring, hang & repeat.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    See post number 1 and 45 in this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=permethrin this is the thread that I linked earlier that I started on the Permethrin subject!
    Hope this helps??
    Great information can be found on the above thread with the posts mentioned as the go to for the real meat of the subject.

It's the right time of year to be speaking about it so thanks for the thread Papa Smurf. I'm a real believer in the stuff!

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thank you for posting PapaSmurf! It's definitely the time of year to start preparing.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    All I know is I have treated almost everything with Sawyers and have yet to have a issue, also Cannibal has been doing the Sawyer treatment for quite sometime without issue as well!
    I've been using it every season since May of 2007. My original hammock (Warbonnet ElDorado) is still going strong. It took the abuse of an AT almost-thru (GA-VT) and near constant application of Permethrin. I treat all of my hammocks every year at least twice. My quilts are treated, my packs, my webbing, by tarp lines, and all my clothing except the skivvies. I've never seen any damage or premature wear on any of my high tech clothing or hammock materials. I use the Sawyer brand.

I love Permethrin! It kills spiders and that's reason enough for me.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I've been using it every season since May of 2007. My original hammock (Warbonnet ElDorado) is still going strong. It took the abuse of an AT almost-thru (GA-VT) and near constant application of Permethrin. I treat all of my hammocks every year at least twice. My quilts are treated, my packs, my webbing, by tarp lines, and all my clothing except the skivvies. I've never seen any damage or premature wear on any of my high tech clothing or hammock materials. I use the Sawyer brand.

I love Permethrin! It kills spiders and that's reason enough for me.
    It has greatly extended my hiking season in the MS woods. I mean, you can just imagine the problems with various bugs in MS, especially since any given hike is not infrequently next to a swamp for at least a small part of the hike. I hate DEET ( but I hate mossy/tick bites worse). But with Permethrin treated clothing, the bugs really don't even come near me for the most part. And if I am concerned about exposed skin, I have a new BFF called Picaridin 20%. I even often use it with confidence when my clothing has not been treated in a while. I just spray it right on clothing as well as skin. The smell ( or lack of smell after ~ 20 mins) is no problem whatsoever. What a glorious combo these two gems make! Now hiking in MS warm months, it seems like MS is a bug free state. And that 3rd arm I have grown? It is actually very useful! It has been quite a while since I used any DEET.

A couple of times I have slept in a net free hammock, once only a rock throw from the low and sluggish Sipsey River during a drought. It was Oct but the Mossies were still out. I can't remember what was treated with Permethrin, (maybe my pants?) or how long since they were sprayed with Sawyers. But I just sprayed my upper body skin and clothing (and hat) with Picaridin near sunset and again before bed time. No problems.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I dunked one item at a time in the 5 gallon bucket, swished and wrung out, hung up to dry.
    Will share just a tidbit I remember from a UK veterinary site ... doctor giving advice online.

She said not to hang the items up to dry, as that allows the solution to run off. She said to lay them out flat to dry, so that as the inert ingredients vaporize, it leaves the permethrin in place evenly over the fabric.

For what it's worth.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    DIY Easy Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 12x10 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Stuff
    Suspension
    Dyneema and a knot
    you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast