Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    If the top stretches as WV indicated, perhaps a polyester top would reduce the expansion compared to nylon?
    Or, two thin layers of nylon stretches less than a single thicker one. Anything to minimize the stretch should help.

I think a single large baffle chamber, sewn to the sides but open on one end, might be worth considering to keep the ends from being compressed while still allowing the batt to be inserted or removed.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Or, two thin layers of nylon stretches less than a single thicker one. Anything to minimize the stretch should help.

I think a single large baffle chamber, sewn to the sides but open on one end, might be worth considering to keep the ends from being compressed while still allowing the batt to be inserted or removed.
    So you're saying make the bottom layer "dimensional"?
    That is a possibility as the bottom layer should not be structural in terms of load bearing. It should only serve to loosely hold the batting in place.

I imagine performing much more alteration on the bottom would be evolving into a wool UQ.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    So you're saying make the bottom layer "dimensional"?
    Yes, that's a more apt description.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Yes, that's a more apt description.
    Once you got me thinking dimensional, that made me think double layer bridge.
    That in turn made me jump back to the wool UQ notion.

Seeing that the wheel has already been invented and there is good reason that they are not oval of rectangular, perhaps the wool UQ would be more evolutionarily correct than going back to insulated hammocks.

On that thread, imagine a "Phoenix length" wool batting UQ made like a No Sniveler. The main thing I fear when using my No Sniveler as a serape is getting the down wet. Having a fractional NS with wool batting would eliminate any such fear. Dropping from 98X58X3 to say 48X58X3 would cut the 3 pounds of wool in half making it more comparable to its down counterpart. All that without the concern for moisture compromising your insulation be it UQ or vest.

And with wool batting, baffles would not be needed as with down. You'd just need to make the bottom of the UQ big enough to support the difference in loft and use some Jardine quilting to hold the baffles in place as one would with a piece of synthetic.

I guess I'm into tangent number seven by now. Still, it helps to talk these things through before sewing....or even purchasing the materials.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I don't have any specific suggestions, but a few things came to mind.
    The Hennessy SuperShelter has an OCF pad, which would probably have many of the same needs as the wool batting, as far as compression and conforming to the hammock go.
    The other thought was Clark hammocks and their bottom pockets.

I like the idea of the wool fractional NS. That would be boss.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PuckerFactor View Post

I like the idea of the wool fractional NS. That would be boss.

PF
    I've been thinking more on the fractional wool batted NS...
    What about thin wool flannel for the shell (also treated with lanolin)?
    Since this idea won't win any UL prizes, may as well make the garment utility equally as resilient. Basically, it would wear like a wool vest (with head and side openings instead of front) with a thick wool batting. Instead of just using it for camp or emergency heat, it could be worn as one would a wool sweater. It's safe to sweat through it, and flannel would make it more like a Mackinaw vest than a makeshift serape.
    At the end of the day, just suspend it like any other fractional UQ.
    Heck, you could even have pockets.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I like where this discussion is going, but have to ask the question: Once this is all said and done, how different is this insulated DL hammock than a single layer with a wool Underquilt? You wouldn't need to face but one side of the UQ. Adding shock cord suspension (and making it adjustable) would be the only downside I can think of...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    I like where this discussion is going, but have to ask the question: Once this is all said and done, how different is this insulated DL hammock than a single layer with a wool Underquilt? You wouldn't need to face but one side of the UQ. Adding shock cord suspension (and making it adjustable) would be the only downside I can think of...
    You're right. I gave it some thought and came to the same conclusion as you. A DL hammock with wool batting while functional, only serves one function.
    That's sort of how my idea evolved into looking at a fraction UQ with wool batting and a head hole like a No Sniveler. That would eliminate about half of the three pounds of batting while making it into a multi-use UQ/vest with the ability to withstand moisture better than down or synthetic insulation.

After getting that far, I am now considering trying that but instead of the normal shell fabrics going with a thin wool flannel. If the batting and flannel are both treated with lanolin, it would be very water repellent and what moisture that did manage to make its way in could be forced out with body heat alone.

I suppose another advantage would be that since wool batting is actually used in mattress tops and furniture cushions, it would also be resilient enough to function as a torso length sleeping pad were one in need of going to ground.

I only wish I'd thought of this a few months ago, as the wool vest option would have been pretty handy during the Winter. At this time of year, a 3 inch thick wool vest isn't going to be as useful.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12