Hammock
    DIY gathered-end
    Insulation
    don't have ;(
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks for response.

Nice idea. Pockets could be also used for storing balloons like that:

Some of them have 100 cm length and 10 cm diameter. There are also longer but with smaller diameter.

Now I'm thinking of very light hammock for my summer trip on south. Probably sewing 6 pockets will avoid taking additional pad.

I'm wondering if this fabrics will be good and strong enough:
    http://www.fabrics-n-stuff.co.uk/pro...h6gki78dq48t76
    I think it could be 37 g/m2 (1.1 oz)... You wrote that you wouldn't do that.

I'm 67 kg or 148 lbs.

If you believe that empty pockets equal warmth on a cold night, get ready to miss a night's sleep. I have a NX250, which I use every night at home or in the woods, and when the overnight lows got down to the low 50's the comfort was definitely in question. I added a UQ to it and WOW, what a difference. I experimented with cheap polyester pillows stuffed into the pockets. They do work. They are also bulky, look bad, and are not practical to carry away from home. On testimony from some who have purchased them, the Z pads or whatever Clark calls them, are limited as far as keeping you warm in cold temps. For my money a good UQ is the way to go.

Just an after thought. The Clark hammock with the weather shield is capable of holding in quite a bit of your body heat, creating a sort of micro climate, which will affect how warm you feel relative to the out side temp., but it will not keep your back warm when it is cold, bottom insulation comes into play.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by old4hats View Post
    If you believe that empty pockets equal warmth on a cold night, get ready to miss a night's sleep. I have a NX250, which I use every night at home or in the woods, and when the overnight lows got down to the low 50's the comfort was definitely in question. I added a UQ to it and WOW, what a difference. I experimented with cheap polyester pillows stuffed into the pockets. They do work. They are also bulky, look bad, and are not practical to carry away from home. On testimony from some who have purchased them, the Z pads or whatever Clark calls them, are limited as far as keeping you warm in cold temps. For my money a good UQ is the way to go.
    Good point--------bags full of leaves work ok---------I made some stuffsacks filled with down that work really well
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY gathered-end
    Insulation
    don't have ;(
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have never slept in hammock I have to make first one, check it and than add insulating pockets. I want to use it on short bike trips with small and light luggage.

If it's that comfortable as you all guys from this is forum say, I will think about sewing under quilt (or making other insulation) and maybe silk hammock.

On my holidays I plan to go by bike form Poland to Serbia/Bosna, Albany, Bulgaria and back. The temperature at night should never be lower than 50 F so with good down sleeping bag (X-Lite 200) at last I will stay alive.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Just be sure to try your hammock out at home first! It takes a while to get your hammock system all adjusted right!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Dream hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Nub'a
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If you stuff all your gear in them, they work just fine until about 30 deg f. Even your hard items ( stove, water bottles, can goods) can go in the pockets without sticking in to you. The thing to remember is that all insulation is, is trapped air.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1oz ripstop 144"x60"
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigerot View Post
    If you stuff all your gear in them, they work just fine until about 30 deg f. Even your hard items ( stove, water bottles, can goods) can go in the pockets without sticking in to you. The thing to remember is that all insulation is, is trapped air.
    Then what about inflatable pockets of some sort? Or pockets stuffed with ziplock bags or baloon animals (just snakes though) or something similar? Shouldn't that work just as well as anything else?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12