Tarp
    MacCatDlx,Siltarp2
    Insulation
    down,above & below
    Suspension
    stock
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by myles to go View Post
    With good site selection and knowing were the wind is coming from you should have No issue with the size of the standard.

Well, except that the foliage and terrain often severely limit your site and orientation options, and the wind has a habit of changing direction and speed...

Hammock
    DIY "WARBIRD"
    Tarp
    OES STD,WB BMJ
    Insulation
    Golite TQ/leigh UQ
    Suspension
    WHOOPIES
    Quote Originally Posted by bkrownd View Post
    Well, except that the foliage and terrain often severely limit your site and orientation options, and the wind has a habit of changing direction and speed...
    Foliage and terrain are your friend when trying to hide from rain and wind..

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by backpackingZombie View Post
    If the Spinn that Brian has is not up to par why should I think the Spinn that anyone has right now is good? I don't want to spend $160+ on a tarp to only find out it's not waterproof as I was expected to believe.
    Did you ask if it was a batch problem or an overall material problem. It seems to me it would be a batch problem(lot, whatever you want to call it) since many, many people have Spinn tarps with no issues of leakage. Bad batches happen, it's part of manufacturing. I wouldn't assume just because one person got a bad lot of material that every person has bad material, but that's just me.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Insulation
    Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave41079 View Post
    Did you ask if it was a batch problem or an overall material problem. It seems to me it would be a batch problem(lot, whatever you want to call it) since many, many people have Spinn tarps with no issues of leakage. Bad batches happen, it's part of manufacturing. I wouldn't assume just because one person got a bad lot of material that every person has bad material, but that's just me.
    It's a batch problem...however it has been an issue for the past several batches I believe.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    cuben fiber
    Insulation
    down goodies
    Suspension
    The Force
    Images
    if your going to use this tarp a lot get sil because if you look at spinn wrong it will get a hole. The stuff is light and all but cuben blows it away(still pricey!). my OES deluxe is my go to tarp. It has been to hell and back, plus sil is easy to patch in the field. Here is a vid of the tarp in action right in North Carolina on the AT in a summer storm pitched high and still dry!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zQb1evgVUE

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl & DIY 1.5 Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben Baby !
    Insulation
    Phoenix's&Burrow's
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    A standard maccat in Spinn is a great tarp and is all I have ever used, Never had a coverage issue.
    Saying that I have a spinn 11x10 cat cut on order from Brian.

Not sure what to do, I ordered/paid Brian on 4th Jan. It's been one long wait I can tell you.
    This waiting for the spinn fabric has nearly driven me to cuben.
    I'll await a reply to a PM I sent Brian before making the call.

I've never had an issue with spinn fabric and it's been very durable. No holes in mine....
    I am a GEAR JUNKIE and GRAM COUNTER !!

There, It's out. I said it, Ahh I feel better now

Quote Originally Posted by backpackingZombie View Post
    If the Spinn that Brian has is not up to par why should I think the Spinn that anyone has right now is good? I don't want to spend $160+ on a tarp to only find out it's not waterproof as I was expected to believe.

I had the same call from Brian, and what he said was that this "Lot" meaning this individual order, the material failed his test! He puts every roll of fabric through a test prior to offering it up for sale as a completed tarp, he has contacted the company and is doing his best to work out the issue at hand! Also he just recieved this order of fabric and it came from a different supplier, as his normal supplier stopped selling it, he said that there have been issues with some of the fabric that he has gotten, which is one of the reasons for the delay in shipping of products! This is something that I am very glad that he does, this says that he "Cares" about not only his product, but also "You"!
    Cannibal is right on all accounts but I will only voice my opinion on one, Brandon at Warbonnett would "NEVER" sell a product that cannot do what it is intended to do, instead of degrading another persons integritity please give them the benifit of the doubt, as he has been around much longer than you or I, and is a fantastic supplier of great products!
    Sorry Mods but I feel this is going a little too far! If I have crossed the line I do appologise and feel free to delete this post, and or do what you may!
    Last edited by Cranky Bear; 03-22-2011 at 20:30.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Quilt+HG Inc20
    Just a quick note (I'm in the middle of juggling two exams, a project, a paper due in a week, graduate research, TA'ing for a lab class, normal OES orders and now the fabric issues ):

As CB said, I'm currently trying to work with the manufacturer to try and get this fixed, but I'm not hopeful that the issue will be solved in the near term. I'm currently working on getting some hard and fast data to try to pinpoint the issues I've been having, but in a few days I'll be able to make a few announcements (positive ones I think the HF community will like).

I know that several of the other cuben manufacturers are still working on older stocks of fabric so in-stock products may be fine for use. Not trying to scare people, but do be advised that there may be some supply issues in the future. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I absolutely will not ship out a tarp out of fabric I feel is any way compromised or lacking in waterproofness, it's just not ethical and can lead to a dangerous situation.

More to come soon, including the new rig that I'm using for all of my research and fabric testing!
    Last edited by Brian; 03-22-2011 at 22:54.
    Brian MacMillin
    www.OutdoorEquipmentSupplier.com
    Home of the new MacCat Gen4 hammock tarps

Hammock
    HH ULBPA, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    3S Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Just a quick note (I'm in the middle of juggling two exams, a project, a paper due in a week, graduate research, TA'ing for a lab class, normal OES orders and now the fabric issues ):

As CB said, I'm currently trying to work with the manufacturer to try and get this fixed, but I'm not hopeful that the issue will be solved in the near term. I'm currently working on getting some hard and fast data to try to pinpoint the issues I've been having, but in a few days I'll be able to make a few announcements.

I know that several of the other cuben manufacturers are still working on older stocks of fabric so in-stock products may be fine for use. Not trying to scare people, but do be advised that there may be some supply issues in the future. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I absolutely will not ship out a tarp out of fabric I feel is any way compromised or lacking in waterproofness, it's just not ethical and can lead to a dangerous situation.

More to come soon, including the new rig that I'm using for all of my research and fabric testing!
    A prime example of what I love about this community and why I recommend the cottage guys whenever possible now. THIS is customer service...BEFORE a sale.
    Visualize whirled peas.

Senior Member backpackingZombie's Avatar
    Hammock
    DB 1.1
    Tarp
    CCS 8'x10'
    Insulation
    Arroyo & Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies + toggles

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    I had the same call from Brian, and what he said was that this "Lot" meaning this individual order, the material failed his test! He puts every roll of fabric through a test prior to offering it up for sale as a completed tarp...
    Thanks for the knowledge. I'm new to the HC life, so I am not sure of the rigors some go through for testing, hence my question. My worry was that the tarps were still made and sold, though with the caveat that they may not be perfect.

Thanks for the info.

And thanks for your info sharing as well Brian.

I hear a lot of great things on this forum, and other info-streams, of the quality that comes from a very small group of people. There is obviously a lot of love in the community

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast