Tarp
    Factory original
    Insulation
    Roll Mat
    Suspension
    Factory Original
    Images

Garden Hanging

I want to hang on my hennessy asym deluxe outside in the garden.

What thickness of pole do you think I need to use? I'm about 14st, but it's likely I'd want a 2nd hang point on the same pole so a friend can hang as well...

I am not sure whats available in the UK but here I would say easiest would be a simple 4x4 wooden post. Or a 2" steel pipe like the old clothes line poles.

The real requirement is your foundation. I would sink that pole 2 feet in concrete with a minimum diameter of 12" and probably go a bit larger.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Frost heave may a concern in your neck of the woods. Go deep, a meter is good. Place the post (steel or wood) in the hole and plumb it up with bracing, dirt stakes what have ya. Pack gravel all around the post to the level of the surrounding ground. The gravel will allow for the water to drain and prevent premature rotting or rusting. Concrete can work, but it will decay earlier.

A good, quality, 4 or 6 inch post, 10' (3m) long should do the trick. If you go wood, make sure there are no big knots that will weaken the posts. Round or square posts will work. Bigger is better, IMO.
    Buried in the ground 1 meter will leave enough exposed for the hammock and tarp.

2nd hang location-2 posts allow for one hammock, unless using a extra tree or support.
    Three posts will allow for three hammocks. Set them at 4m-5m (12-16 feet) apart in a triangular pattern.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    The problem is how to contain the horizontal forces, which suggest the heavy duty foundations. An alternative is to contain those forces in a crossbar. Look at the Turtlelady's indoor system:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27777

which shows a superb low stress system IMHO
    Last edited by PDA; 03-21-2011 at 12:02.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe Asym
    Tarp
    Factory original
    Insulation
    Roll Mat
    Suspension
    Factory Original
    Images
    cross bar is a good idea, but wouldn't look great. Basically this will all be over a patio, so big foundations won't be too much of a problem. Three posts is a good idea, I'm going to look into circular poles though I'm not sure how to fix to the poles an eyelet would stop slipping but perhaps I can put wooden pegs through the poles. That'd look more interesting too My own artificial branches!

• + New Posts