Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Double Hammock Stand from trampoline frame

I have a reputation among people that know me that if they don't want something, check with me first before throwing it away. Don't call TLC, I'm not a horder, I don't take everything that is offered but sometimes you just can't pass something up.

Two days ago, I got a call about 4:00 from a friend that was getting rid of his kid's trampoline. I went by and picked it up that night. This trampoline was a 14' trampoline with the "battle cage" enclosure. I was able to salvage some clips that I'll probably use for tarp connections, a bunch of triangles (not load bearing I'm sure) and of course the frame and springs. I knew I wanted to make a hammock stand out of a trampoline frame for a while but I hadn't given it that much thought because I didn't have a frame to play with.

After helping my cousin with some carpentry on Saturday, I unloaded the frame from the back of the truck and started looking at what I had. I began trying to figure out a single stand but the pieces just went together and a double came out of it.

You'll notice that the vertical poles tip out from a true vertical. This is due to the center connection pipes that were previously the bottom of the legs when this was a trampoline.
    Loaded the verticals lay open even more which has the benefit of hanging you over the ground instead of the frame.
    The semi-circles that make up the backbone and vertical poles are round, but the connection points are squared which helped to allow me to try out a few configurations without drilling or welding.

My first assembly went well and I liked the way it hung but I had pieces left over so I tried tweaking the setup to lengthen the ridgeline and make it more sturdy. It had the opposite effect.

The first attempt left two pieces of the original ring unused. I had hoped to increase the length of the ridgeline and increase the height of the attachment point. Adding the extra pieces (one per side) made the attachment points much higher, but not much further apart. Tying the ends together with the poles kept the sides from laying open, but then when you load the hammock the half circle tried to close up. I put this together without welding, cutting or drilling anything. I only used ratchet straps to keep the two sides together. I'm considering drilling holes for bolts but I want to do so when it is loaded with weight because I like hanging over the ground and not over the frame.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Love to see a pic... I just saw a post on Craig's List under the Free section where someone was getting rid of a trampoline and now... hmmm.

I just saw the pics in your gallery - makes more sense to me now.
    Last edited by UncleMJM; 03-20-2011 at 22:49. Reason: opened eyes and looked at gallery; then saw typo

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

What's up with my pics

I tried inserting pictures but I just get the ? boxes. Here are a couple.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    What if you set the frame as a normal trampoline style?. Is there enough height for a hammock?

Nice thinking out of the box! And I see this working for folks as a backyard stand. I see a lot of those stands in the trash. Especially after a wind storm.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

That was my first thought

Gargoyle,

My first thought was to use a trampoline frame as is, but you'd never get the right amount of sag due to the low height IMO. As shown it's not perfect, but it will work for a free hammock stand. The ridge length is about 12' 3" which is pretty minimal. If you were to attach to the poles that make the "cage of death" above the bouncing surface that would help. This configuration actually takes up less real estate while also looking very cool.

I like the simplicity of the last picture where the hammock would hang over the frame and I was thinking of replicating it. I solicited a donation trampoline on Facebook and am excited to try. How did you get the horizontal bars to insert at both ends, as only one end is tapered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts