Thread: hello

hello

Hello hammock forums. I started hammock camping when i found my grandfathers G. I. style jungle hammock. He was in World War 2 and was sent to Papua New Guinea. During rain season there could be three feet of water on the ground at any given time and the jungle hammock was the only way to sleep and stay dry. The hammock is still in great shape for being made nearly 70 years ago but is not quite the size I can sleep in comfortably, but is still much better than the ground. I'm 6' 5" and around 230 lbs. That being said the hammock that I'm contemplating on buying is a Clark Nx-250 mainly because of the size and comfort rating. Other considerations are the Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 double layer but am concerned about the size. Any bigger guys hanging in either of these hammocks? Any input would be great. Thanks to all the guys and gals that made this site possible.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to HF!

I am 6'3" and 215 lbs. I sleep in a ENO DoubleNest just fine, but that is the extent of my hammock experiences so far. Good luck with your hammock hunting!

-Dan
    Just Hangin' around since 2010.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Lots of good choices out there.

I use a ENO DN for day hiking and afternoon hammock studies (taking a nap) and a Warbonnet BB 1.7 dbl for camping. I am 6ft2+ and 280 lbs.

Try to attend a group hang where you can check out a variety of setups and watch all of Shug's videos.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    I have the NX-200 and the WBBB 1.7 DL. I am 6' 1" and weigh 290. You will be happy in either one of the hammocks. Like the CJH for winter weather and the BB will get alot of use for the other season we have down here in Bama.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Thanks for the replys. Anybody with the nx-250 have any comments? Positive or negative; I like to hear both sides. Thanks again for any help, this will be my first serious step up into hammock camping for full time use and would like to go all out and get the best hammock for my needs the first try. Also, I'm thinking of opting for a larger rain cover, possibly the sportsman's guide tarp. Any comments on after market rain covers would be great. Happy hanging.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Look at the MacCat tarps from Brian at OES. I have one of the Delux in Spinn UL and love it. Very light, no leaks with the only drawback so far being the pack size. Check out the other tarp makes are Arrowhead Equipment, Paul is a great guy to work with. Also look at the tarps from Warbonnet, or Gargoylegear.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

can anybody tell me about the warranty/customer service they've experienced with clark or warbonnet?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy Mac Cat
    Insulation
    down uq
    Suspension
    SLS mule tape
    Another good option for your 1st hammock, especially being so long as you are, is to just make one. It costs about $30 bucks and all you need is rope and 1.9 nylon ripstop. That could help you figure out the size you want. If I were you, I would just make one 11-12 feet long, that would ensure comfort.
    I don't have any WB stuff, but from what i've read you won't have ANY problems with customer service. There are a couple cottage-business hammock makers here on the forum, I'm sure one of them would work with you on a custom hammock if you asked.

Good luck and welcome!
    You don't sleep on the ground at home, why would you expect me to out here?

• + New Posts