Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kelty Cosmic Down 20

Hello everyone!

I have recently been looking into getting a new sleeping bag. My SwissGear packs big, i think. It takes up a HUGE ammount in my pack. So i looked into the "Kelty Cosmic Down 20" bag, which appearently packs small and is a great bag. When i camp it rarely gets down to 30 degrees. Would this bag be a problem? On the reviews i read it seems to be a very warm bag, even at 20 degrees. Anyone owned one of them before? It seems like a great deal for $99.

Has anyone experience with the SwissGear packs? They are cheap and go down to the teens. I think theyre great, but i put it in my Swiss Military Ruck and it took up like 75% of the pack! The SwissGear bag was about $30 and it went down to about 15 degrees. Again, amazing deal, but it annoys me how much room it takes up. It comes with a stuff sack even.

Could i avoid this alltogether? Find a way to pack my bag smaller? Thank you all for your help.

Here is a Swiss pack LIKE mine: (http://www.swiss-gear-tents.com/inde...x513l400op641k)

Here is the Kelty: (http://www.campmor.com/kelty-cosmic-...egular-1.shtml)
    Last edited by TheTorch; 03-15-2011 at 23:53.

Hammock
    GT UL
    Tarp
    Custom HG tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighs UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    I bought a cosimc down 20 over the winter but have yet to use it. It is a good deal on a down bag though. It doesn't really fit my needs. I'd be willing to sell it of you want it. The only thing I've done is cut the tag off the stuff sack. Always stored hung up, never in stuff sack. 80 bucks shipped. PM me if you're interested.

Sounds like a steal, but you mentioned it is a winter bag? Could i use it in fair weather camping (50's) without being set of fire? :P

How tight does it compress? Im mainly looking for a small packing bag.

Hammock
    GT UL
    Tarp
    Custom HG tarp
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighs UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Well I haven't used it out in the field, just in the house when I first got it. It's a 3/4 zip. You could easily un zip it to vent or even un zip it all the way and use it as a quilt. The stuff sack size is roughly 10"x6" flat. It could definately be smaller in a compression sack.

This really is not abad deal. I looked on REI's site. The specs are showing
    2lbs 3oz.. That is really light weight, for $99.95. Looks like they also have a
    *0 degree bag for $160 that isnt much heavier...Thanks, Goin to go look at it tomarrow...

Graywolf

Right now REI has their annual 20% if you're a member, so you could potentially get this for around 85$ including tax with free shipping.
    I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some come from behind. But I've brought a big bat. I'm all ready you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I have one I bought from Campmor on sale. It was right at $80 shipped. I use it as a quilt and it has taken me down to mid 30s and with a better underquilt would probably go much lower. It is very warm, and like others here its stuffs really small! I think its a great bag for temps down to 30 and probably lower with some extra clothing ( I sleep in shorts most of the time)

Has anyone heard of sportchatlet.com? Is it a trusted site? They have a Cosmic 20 down on sale for $75 compared to $100 at campmor.com. Just wanna make sure its a trusted site before ordering. Her is the link for the bag.

http://www.sportchalet.com/product/300270_3051594.do

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I have one and have used it in a tent as a bag to the mid 30s no problem and in my hammock down to 27 and was plenty warm! The 3/4 zip makes it convert into a TQ very nicely
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast