HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Quote Originally Posted by olzeke View Post
    I can take this down to 25*, or add in a set of long underwear and take it down to about 5*
    Where do you find 5 degrees around here? I guess you might be able to find 5 degrees on Mt. Hood somewhere. Not right now, though. I'm not real sure I need to go that low anyway.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Each persons set up will vary based on what it takes for each person to be comfortable in various condtions they camp out in. Buggy, hot, cold, cool, rainy, sleep hot, sleep cold, how much to yu want to carry, car camping, packpacking and how much $$$ do you have to spend on the gear.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Refund,
    Don't be overwhelmed by the enthusiasms and practices of gram weenies. Sure, it's a good idea to work towards a light-weight setup, but you'll enjoy your wilderness trips more if you maintain comfort as your prime consideration, and by that I mean comfort when you sleep. Once you're secure with that ("sector 7" = a good night's sleep ), you can start thinking about how tired you are after 5 miles on the trail, or 10 miles, or 15. That's when you can benefit from examining and lightening your load. Then, too, choice of pack, use of trekking poles, nutrition and hydration can have a lot to do with the comfort of those last 5 miles .

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Burrow 40 & yeti
    Suspension
    Straps& dutch clip
    Images
    You'll get lighter as time goes on, even if you start carrying heavier gear. How, well, you'll get a feel for what you need and carry that when you go on a trip. Now you should err on the side of caution, and that means carry lots of insulation, a larger first aid kit, too much water, and extra emergency gear.

You'll develop techniques and skills as you go, allowing you to carry less stuff overall. Knowledge is the fastest weight reducer that you'll find and that isn't always expensive.

As for the gram weenie perspective, well, a lot depends on the goals of your trip. If I am setting out to cover 30 miles on an overnight hike I'll take a lot less stuff than if I'm hiking in to a lake and spending the weekend with buddies. If you are going to spend most of your time hiking, you will optimize your kit towards the lightest weight.

If you spend less time walking and more time camping you will optimize your kit twords comfort.

The most important thing for you to remember is that there isn't a right way or a wrong way .... There's just your way and everybody elses way ....

And looking at other people's set ups is a fun and cool way to learn!
    Many a good hanging prevents a bad marriage
    William Shakespeare

"Insert witty and intelligent statement here"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Refund,
    Don't be overwhelmed by the enthusiasms and practices of gram weenies. Sure, it's a good idea to work towards a light-weight setup, but you'll enjoy your wilderness trips more if you maintain comfort as your prime consideration, and by that I mean comfort when you sleep. Once you're secure with that ("sector 7" = a good night's sleep ), you can start thinking about how tired you are after 5 miles on the trail, or 10 miles, or 15. That's when you can benefit from examining and lightening your load. Then, too, choice of pack, use of trekking poles, nutrition and hydration can have a lot to do with the comfort of those last 5 miles .
    Oh sweet wisdom!
    S.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    OK I will give this a try

HH a-sym with skins, huggers, 2.8 lbs
    3/4 Hammock Gear UQ 1 lbs for spring & fall & a down Jacket 1lbs.

I treadmill during the winter.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Now I am going have to weigh my gear again

Images
    It took me a long time to get as light as I hike now. I would not, and never will, sacrifice comfort. Often, when testing out something new, I'd take my older set up along as a back up. Heavier loads, but I was testing not thru hiking. Once I knew I was comfortable, then I'd drop the older heavier stuff.

I am very comfortable with my gear, and know how to use it. I know how to fuel myself, find a good spot to set up, and enjoy my time. I also know when to bail if I get in over my head, and always let my wife know where I'm going and how long I'll be.

With a 2.48 lb sleep system at present, I can recall carrying a 4 lb tent in 2005 on a PCT section hike, + 2 lb sleeping bag and what ever the 3/4 self inflating therma rest weighed. I had a good time and no regrets. I just have learned to enjoy my 2.48 lb load and how to use it - and like it better (at least my back and legs do for sure)

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    I will echo the comment from Shug. WV's talk of 'comfort first' is good stuff. Keep in mind however that if you want to be ultra comfortable at camp, you have to carry that comfort. Which, in a manner of thought, becomes a discussion of diminishing returns.

to answer your question OP, i'm using a WB traveler with a whoopie sling/amsteel hugger combo and replaced the ridgeline with Zing-it.
    the Zpacks cuben tarp and my tq+uq kit all lands me with a half an ounce shy of 3 pounds. thats good to about 25 degrees.

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    OES deluxe
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Where do you find 5 degrees around here? I guess you might be able to find 5 degrees on Mt. Hood somewhere. Not right now, though. I'm not real sure I need to go that low anyway.
    You are right, 5* is not around here. I travel to camp most of the time. Wyoming, Montana, any place with elevation and good winters.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast