when i got my first hammock last month, a hennessy hyperlite with zip entry, i was so delighted with how comfortable it is that i decided i would use it on my pct thru this year. i am an extremely cold sleeper and i've been using a marmot pinnacle 20+ down bag, with a liner and a neo air mattress... i even got a warbonnet superfly with doors, to attempt to give myself greater protection from the cold... even in spite of all the extra weight!!

alas, the superfly will not work, as i have messed with it for many hours, trying to get it off my hammock and not 10 feet in the air at the same time... i've emailed him to see if he will take it back, since it's only been set up in the yard (and under the dark skies of the PNW). there went that idea...

the only thing i can think of is getting a 0 degree bag and trying again with the stock hennessy tarp... i don't want to have to also carry an under quilt, as i want to use my neo air for going to ground scenarios (in 5-6 months on the pct, i hear there are at least a few nights! plus i'm hiking with a ground sleeper anyways) also i have strong doubts that an under quilt would even be enough...

is it possible that i am not a hanger at heart? physically, it's like a dream. but that is part of the problem... i feel very vulnerable in the air like that and so i was half dreaming on test nights about all sorts of hammocking relating nightmares!!

does anyone have any thoughts? or shall i just go back to the ground where i might belong?

i wanted to thank you all for being on here- i've learned so much and had a lot of fun watching videos, reading about ideas, etc!

~shybird