DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

noobie needing help customizing an ENO DN

hey there fellow hangers. recently i made a purchace of a ENO doublenest hammock system. this is my first ever hammock, and being from minnesota, i have been camping more times than i can count. i guess i never realized how awesome it is to sleep above ground. but anyway, i digress.. i have only taken it backpacking once on a three day trip out to shanendoah, and loved it, with a few exceptions.....

Firstly, because i am still learning the ins and outs of hammocking, i think i set the hammock up with too much droop, causing me to wake up multiple times sore and having a back like a question mark the next day. is there any way to set it up with less so you are more horizontal?

Secondly, i notice the ridgeline and other things that come with the hammock are made out of very flimsy and cheap materials, any help on replacement products and such would be a big help.

and lastly, i was thinking of employing a ratchet type system for the suspension which would ease setup time. does anyone have any pointers for materials, knots, rigs etc. that would go with this ENO.

thanks a bunch fellas,
    Corey Miller

"Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    OK, before you think that I get a cut from all of the proceeds at AHE I want to say that I don't!!! Paul is a good guy and will have these items out to you in a matter of days. I have used most of these items on two ENO DN mods personally so I can speak to the durability and quality of Pauls products and service.
    The items listed below will allow you to have an easily adjustable suspension system for your ENO..............
    Webbing straps
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...ts/show/945363
    Cinch Buckles
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1340611
    Hammock Ridgeline
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1452521

These items you may want to look at as an option to the ENO rainfly........
    Tarp
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1875861
    Tarp Ridgeline kit
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1203637
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HamptonHanger View Post
    Firstly, because i am still learning the ins and outs of hammocking, i think i set the hammock up with too much droop, causing me to wake up multiple times sore and having a back like a question mark the next day. is there any way to set it up with less so you are more horizontal?
    Try to lay in the hammock on a diagonal.....head to one side ...feet to the other. You can achieve a flatter lay.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hello!
    The key to laying flat is laying on a diagonal.
    The ENO's do not come with a ridgeline to my knowledge. Did you buy it from another member with one installed?
    Two of the more popular suspension options are cinch buckles and webbing and whoopie slings and webbing. The ratchet system you are thinking of would work but it may be heavier than you would want if you are going backpacking plus if they are nylon straps they may stretch.

Watch Shug's Videos for noobs and it will all be clearer and you will also be entertained.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    You probably made one of two mistakes... or maybe both. You need to hang the hammock with more sag than you think is even reasonable. The suspension lines should be be about 35* below horizontal. Then you lie on the diagonal in the hammock. That gives you the flattest lie you can get. I have a home sleeper built to the double nest dimensions and there is no question it is a very comfortable sized hammock. Try hanging it as described above. The suspension materials are a different kettle of fish. The ENO suspension is not the best. Get the stuff from Arrowhead and you'll be fine. But do not try to make the hammock flat before you get into it. That's a recipe for disaster.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Senior Member Living the Highlife's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    well thanks everyone for the awesome advice. i think i'm going to go with a whoopie sling set-up with some nylon tree savers w/ dutch clips and a toggle. that seems to be the easiest set-up i've seen so far. thanks Shug for all the helpful and humoring videos. i can easily see you're a minnesotan at heart haha. I'm from Hugo myself, north of white bear lake.

The ENO's do not come with a ridgeline to my knowledge. Did you buy it from another member with one installed?
    ENO never had a ridgeline per say, but the way the bugnet attached to the hammock originally, i might as well have one or make one rather. i like the idea of an extra whoopie sling as a ridgeline to adjust the sag in the hammock. it also fixes the problem of the ENO bugnet opening up at both ends due the pull on line from entering the hammock. i did some tests last night out in the yard.
    Corey Miller

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Polyester of polypro tree straps do not stretch like nylon does although if you are only using a short length for the tree then it shouldn't be too bad. Just keep in mind if you are going to have longer lengths, nylon will stretch and your comfy set up may change as the nylon stretches.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Senior Member Living the Highlife's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    sounds good. i will investigate some sturdier materials
    Corey Miller