Tarp
    Campmor 8x10
    Insulation
    Green CCF pads
    Suspension
    WBBB OEM
    Images

Made the bags

Just got done making a bag for my pads. I got fancy (or my plans did, at least) and added a set of loops for my fishing pole and a ribbon of grograin for attachment ease. I used 1.7 nylon ripstop (in retrospect, much heavier than I needed) and filament nylon thread (which I hope to never have to use again).
    Pretty fun, kept me busy all day. I also sewed a little pouch to put my tarp and ridgeline kit into, for practice. Nothing revolutionary in either design but I'm proud I manned up and made em. My wife spent an hour in near-hysterics at my use of paperclips to hold my hems aligned prior to sewing. I don't quite know why. It seemed to work perfectly well.
    What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Campmor 8x10
    Insulation
    Green CCF pads
    Suspension
    WBBB OEM
    Images

Pad testing

Took my sling and pads out last night, to a friend's house with trees. Setup with the pad. The overnight low was 31*. I had a 3/8" and a 1/4" closed cell foam pad. I was not cold, nor was I hot. The wings on the shoulders and hips were fine, although some squirming was required to get them to lay right. I'm not sure why people don't like pads. I was very comfortable, and the only cool I felt was my face. I need to find a way to reduce their width from 40", but that did wrap up around my shoulders perfectly.
    I'm thinking about a homemade SPE. I'll give them a more rigorous test in mid-april.

Thanks for reading!
    Stahl

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    thanks for posting this, sounds like it's working well! i have a few questions
    which foam thickness is better to sleep on? are you a back or side sleeper and would this pattern cover your knees on both sides in foetal position?

i think people like pads, they just like down even more ;-)
    Last edited by kobold; 04-11-2011 at 05:41. Reason: grammar..

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Campmor 8x10
    Insulation
    Green CCF pads
    Suspension
    WBBB OEM
    Images
    That makes sense.. I like vegetable soup, but I like ribeye even more.
    I used both pads, layered. I plan to streamline when weather and temperature permit, and I believe (hope) that I can use just the 3/8" for most of the spring/summer or even just the 1/4". I sleep on my side, and back, mostly, and found that the pads made a nice little tube to sleep in. There was a little bit of rippling, but nothing serious and mostly on the edges.
    I didn't have any cool spots at all under and around me, when I went foetal (sp) or side slept, so I guess I'd have to say that it covered the knees.
    Hope I answered your questions, Kobold.

In the long (financial) run, I do hope to get an underquilt.
    This'll have to do for this year tho.

Stahl

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Tyvek HW & GG12X12
    Insulation
    WalMart blue pads
    Suspension
    1" straps & biners
    My wife spent an hour in near-hysterics at my use of paperclips to hold my hems aligned prior to sewing. I don't quite know why. It seemed to work perfectly well.
    I used to console myself by thinking 'Laugh now, but I'll be laughing later.'
    I finally realized she gets that one too.
    The only laughing I get to do on my man projects (sewing, cooking, cleaning, laundry etc. in a manly way) is when I laugh 'with' her.

I liked the paperclip idea, they're less pokey.

Hammock
    wb traveler/bb 1.1d, hh scua, gt ul
    Tarp
    ogee+zpack diamond
    Insulation
    jrb/hg downs+hh ss
    Suspension
    webbing+whoopies
    Images
    thanks stahl! i needed the info for a new hh ss pad

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Campmor 8x10
    Insulation
    Green CCF pads
    Suspension
    WBBB OEM
    Images

Full test results

My buddy and I went up the Madison river in Bear Trap Canyon last weekend, and hiked about 6 miles up.

The first night, I used both the 1/4 and the 3/8 inch pads, and, in 35* weather, was too warm. Coverage was excellent, however, and I didn't have any notable cold spots. The pads stayed in place very well, and while they were a bit wide at the shoulders, the sizing there was great. I did get a rumple in the 1/4 pad and a roll at my butt.
    Second night, I used just the 3/8" pad, and it was just right. Temps were about the same as the first night, and the single pad was slightly better for sleeping on. Same basic issues.

My analysis: I can take the 3/8" most of the spring and early summer, and when temps get to around 40-45* at night, I can probably use the 1/4". I would like to take a dart out at my butt, to prevent the rolling and rumpling, but that shouldn't take but a few minutes. The major obstacle to the plan is the rolled size of the silly things. I'm still thinking over ways to reduce the packsize.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Reducing pack size: maybe fold in half longitudinally, then roll just like a "normal" foam pad. pack size would be approx 20" wide, and maybe 5" to 8" thick depending on which or both pad(s).

What hot knife did you get? I'd hate to accidentally by the same one.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I know what you mean about pads - didn't know why people don't like 'em - I had a 1/4 minicell inbetween the layers on my bb and it was really comfy down to 40. However, it was very bulky to carry - especially compared to a 13 oz underquilt.

Brandon at Warbonnet was supercool to talk to while ordering my stuff, and he actually gave me this recommendation: try using two separate pads - one wide up top, and one much narrower under the feet that could maybe double as a sit pad. I found it to work well with the pad. Good luck.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast