Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Okay, I see. So you could do both sides if you don't always lie in one direction?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneShootn View Post
    Okay, I see. So you could do both sides if you don't always lie in one direction?
    Or turn the hammock over, but you have to be awake to do that.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    I have a hammock with a very small hem - maybe 1/4". What can I do with this?

Images
    You could sew both sides of a piece of grosgrain ribbon to the edge and run shockcord or narrow elastic through the tunnel. Another way would be to sew flat elastic on top of the hem with a zigzag stitch (use a piece of elastic 3/4ths the length of the area you are stitching, and stretch it as you go). This method would not be adjustable but does work.

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    You could sew both sides of a piece of grosgrain ribbon to the edge and run shockcord or narrow elastic through the tunnel. Another way would be to sew flat elastic on top of the hem with a zigzag stitch (use a piece of elastic 3/4ths the length of the area you are stitching, and stretch it as you go). This method would not be adjustable but does work.
    I was thinking I may have to do as your first suggestion, but with nylon fabric instead of grosgrain. The grosgrain I have is too thick. Maybe I can scrounge some material somewhere. Wouldn't take much.

Interesting that this thread did not hit for me when searching for 'knotty' mod. I never thought to search for stretch side hammock. Anyhow...this was my approach to the mod;

I tried shock cord on a previous hammock but was annoyed by the cord on the head end so I thought I would try elastic which resulted in a better, more comfortable option.
    For my most recent build I roll hemmed a 1/2"+ channel for 3/8" elastic. I left a small opening in the rolled hem 24" from each end, lock stitching each side , so I could snake the elastic through. I first started on the foot box 24" from the gathered end and ended at 56" for a total 32" length. I then placed a cord lock on the elastic to find the right tension and then did an elastic stitch for 1.5" through the hem to secure. I then considered the head end. If I made it the same length as the foot then I could orient head or foot either direction without worry. And why limit myself to lay? Why not try a full length mod? So I did the other side full length and am really happy with the result. The elastic is smooth and flattens out if I lay my head on the edge with no cord rub like with shock cord. The side holds nice and high when unweighted holding the contents secure and getting in is much easier with the opposite side held high when entering. It feels like a asym with no material flop yet I can lay either orientation/direction.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

The first pic looks as if the mod starts >24" from the end but it is just the angle. Hammock is 10.5' length.
    Last edited by Mtngeronimo; 07-19-2018 at 02:01.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Love the color! I just finished my second DIY 11' hammock.. this one a Half Wit clone in UL Robic 1.2. I included the Knotty (stretch side) mod using 1/16" shock cord. I didn't want it to be permanent as this is the first hammock I have that uses the mod. I reinforced about one inch of two spots of the side hem by tacking a piece of grosgrain inside the 1/2" rolled hem. I burned a very small exit/entry hole through the grosgrain and hammock body before rolling the hem. After threading the shock cord through, I made a barrel knot on the outboard end to keep the shock cord from pulling through and used a micro cord lock at the other end. Works as expected. However, in use I find that tensioning the stretch side interferes with how the no-seeum bib on the Half Wit clone falls, leaving a gap for bug entry, and I have abandoned using the mod for the most part.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutchware Netless Wiide
    Tarp
    HG Journey 12x10
    Insulation
    Duck down
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtngeronimo View Post
    Interesting that this thread did not hit for me when searching for 'knotty' mod. I never thought to search for stretch side hammock. Anyhow...this was my approach to the mod;

I tried shock cord on a previous hammock but was annoyed by the cord on the head end so I thought I would try elastic which resulted in a better, more comfortable option.
    For my most recent build I roll hemmed a 1/2"+ channel for 3/8" elastic. I left a small opening in the rolled hem 24" from each end, lock stitching each side , so I could snake the elastic through. I first started on the foot box 24" from the gathered end and ended at 56" for a total 32" length. I then placed a cord lock on the elastic to find the right tension and then did an elastic stitch for 1.5" through the hem to secure. I then considered the head end. If I made it the same length as the foot then I could orient head or foot either direction without worry. And why limit myself to lay? Why not try a full length mod? So I did the other side full length and am really happy with the result. The elastic is smooth and flattens out if I lay my head on the edge with no cord rub like with shock cord. The side holds nice and high when unweighted holding the contents secure and getting in is much easier with the opposite side held high when entering. It feels like a asym with no material flop yet I can lay either orientation/direction.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

The first pic looks as if the mod starts >24" from the end but it is just the angle. Hammock is 10.5' length.
    Nice job! Thanks for sharing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910