Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'm also looking for an UQ and have a question. I know a good UQ will stop me from getting cold but as the weather warms up are you likely to get too hot as well? Should a person have more than one UQ?

This is new to me so thanks in advance for any advice / opinions offered.

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images

JRB Option

Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I have tried various options for keeping warm in the spring without much luck so I am considering an underquilt. I have just started reviewing the threads here. Lots of information. So far I am aware of JackRBetter, LeighLo, and KAQ underquilts.

I am trying to keep my backside warm in the 20's - 40's temp range. I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe hammock, modified with a zipper top entry.

Please give me some advice as to the best option for warmth, fit with my hammock, and small stuffed size. Thanks.
    I have an HH Asym Expedition that was my fist hammock, all the way back in 2004. I have since in the years that have past had a 2QZQ zipper mod done to it. My first UQ that I purchased was the JRB Nest when I was using HH in bottom-entry mode. It's a great UQ, and I still use it regularly even though my HH is now in my hammock museum. If you ever want to have a need to use the HH's bottom entry mode, I suggest serious looking at that model. If you don't, or have sewn it shut, the Hammock Gear models are reputed to be tops (I haven't taken the plunge yet). In fairness, I have one of the original Speer Pea Pods, a Nest, a WB Yeti, and even a very old synthetic TQ that I got from Ed modified as an UQ for summer use. All work very well, depending on the season, my pack weight needs, and mood.

Hard to wrong with any of the recommendations here!

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    The KAQ products don't appear warm enough for me and I would prefer down.
    I have a KAQ New River Deep Winter upgrade and it is blast furnace warm at the temps you give. The regular NR would probably suit you fine. Proviso...I am going to get an Incubator for moto camping and the NR DW will be used for car camping due to bulk. You did not say how you intend to use the quilt (backpacking, car camping, moto camp).

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    the KAQ is nice for the price ...you can't beat a UQ for $125
    the HH SS is ok but it does not work for everyone ..some ppl love it and some had no luck with it so buyer beware
    honestly i would get a UQ ...this way you can use it on any hammock you like without any problems ... most ppl end up getting one so mine as well just take the jump
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    My KAQ fit my HH perfectly! I liked having the synthetic material when out in cold wet weather.
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hi, everyone! This thread is really old, so there must surely be newer uqs on the market that would be good for Hennessy hammocks. I am wondering if anyone can suggest a good three seaaon full length underquilt for my brand new (proud &#128526Hennessy deluxe azym zip. I live on the west coast of Norway, and we have fairly mild winters most of the time. Average temp maybe 1 c in January, in summer maybe 15 c. Other parts of Norway are a bit colder and some a bit warmer in summer. Anyways, I would like a uq that fits without having to make lots of modifications. The Potomac seems made just for the Hennessy, but a little bulky? The Warbonnet Lynx sounds good, but will it fit? Other suggestions? Thanks a lot! 😊

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    When I had my HH expedition I picked up a JRB Winter Nest and loved it. Its designed specificly for a HH , so you can't get a much better fit than that. If you want synthetic, Arrowhead also makes an UQ designed around the shape of the HH as well i believe, and I'm sure its just as nice as a Nest or Winter Nest. All depends on what your budget, temp range and weather conditions you'll be in mostly. If you are on a tighter budget, dont mind a few extra oz's or will see a lot of " wet" weather, I'd go with the AHE. They have excellent quality and service, as do the Jacks. If you have a few more dollars to spend, need a lighter weight quilt or will see lower or "dry" temps, I'd go with a Nest/ W.N . Both are excellent choices though. HG also makes amazing quilts, and now that they've launched their Econ line, you can get an awesome DOWN UQ for not much more than a synthetic. I personally love my 0° Incubator the most though that I got from Dutch since it was in stock and matched my Burrows co!or scheme. Either way, all 3 have exceptional quality, service and products, you really can't go wrong. All depended on what you need.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    JRB and HG
    Suspension
    Dutch straps/clips
    I am using JacksRBetter sierra snivvler TQ and a Mnt Washington UQ with my HH Deep Jungle Asym Zip and have slept comfortably down
    to around 26 degrees. Even had to vent a little. I am 100% satisfied with my JRB quilts.

Hammock
    HH Expl Dlx, Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    HH Hex, Tadpole
    Insulation
    HH SS, Jarbidge
    Suspension
    various
    I also have a HH Expl Dlx, but I kept the velcro bottom entrance.

My Super Shelter gets me down to the mid 40's F, and you can add insulation. I have an AHE that will take me into the 30's. I'm eye-balling the HG Econ Incubator 20 as my next quilt.
    Thanks,
    Ranc0r

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    I use the HH Super Shelter as Ranc0r stated. The SS is bulky but light (16 oz) and your 1c to 15c is an ideal temp range for it (=32F to 60F).
    Any throw quilt can be added to the SS to get to 1c (=32F) or just use a warm sleeping bag - it doesn't take much to lower the temp range.

I've used my SS a lot and find that getting into a sleeping bag when below 7c (45F) makes a big difference over using the SB as a top quilt.

If you have windy conditions, the SS Undercover blocks all wind from the bottom so no additional UQP is required..
    Last edited by oldpappy; 05-17-2017 at 09:13.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123