Hennessy Explorer Deluxe with 2QZQ
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A question on the HammockGear UP's:

When it says to subtract 5 degrees from the temp rating for the 900 fill option, does that mean the bag is 5 degrees warmer or colder?

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    It means the quilt will take you 5 degrees lower. So if the quilt is rated to 20 degrees, you can use it to 15 degrees. I went with the 3 Season Incubator myself. I'm a rafter not a hiker, so I can carry the extra ounces, and I don't have need of a short pad like the hikers carry for other things. I tried just using my thermarest, slightly deflated in my hammock, and found it not to my liking. I started with a partial underquilt, but switched to a full length for the added warmth without having to supplement with a small pad for my legs & feet. The HammockGear quilts are a top quality product. They attach by means of shock cord which hooks to the end of your hammock. They fit well with most all gathered end hammocks, both with and without the attached net and side pull outs. Paul at AHE has also started making down underquilts. I don't know if he offers a full length? But Paul makes top quality stuff, as do all of the vendors. Just depends on what your personal needs are????
    KJ

Just as previously said, any of the quilt makers here make great products and will fit your hammock just fine! The HammockGear quilts are made by a member on here by the user name of Stormcrow (his real name is Adam) He and his wife make the quilts in his home they both are great to deal with, friendly, and very knowledgeable!
    You will find that all the quilt makers are the same as Adam, they all make great products and all provide great service and quality!
    The differences between products is really minor, but becomes a major decision when you factor in weight/color availability/down fp/and size which will vary between the makers! Best to look at what your intent is, ie.. backpacking (you want the lightest), or like was mentioned of kayaking/rafting within which weight isn't as much of a factor as hiking and trying to fit everything in a small pack!
    I mostly own Stormcrows quilts and I have found that his quilts fit my style perfectly, great stuff from a great person!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    I have tried various options for keeping warm in the spring without much luck so I am considering an underquilt. I have just started reviewing the threads here. Lots of information. So far I am aware of JackRBetter, LeighLo, and KAQ underquilts.

I am trying to keep my backside warm in the 20's - 40's temp range. I have a Hennessy Explorer Deluxe hammock, modified with a zipper top entry.

Please give me some advice as to the best option for warmth, fit with my hammock, and small stuffed size. Thanks.
    Let's also not forget the SuperShelter system from Hennessy Hammocks. It is currently on sale with the overcover for $99.00. Thrown in a cheap mylar space blanket and most people are good down to freezing or lower. Also on the not to forget list are the Insultex offerings from Tree to Trail Gear (Baby Orca and Shamu).

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I ordered a HammockGear 3-season, full length UQ with a little extra 900 fill down. That should be an improvement over my Big Agnes insulated air mattress.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    Yeah, just a tiny improvement, lol. You will love it!

Hammock
    Tarp
    CCS, Kondos, Mamaj
    Insulation
    HG Incubator TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Yeah, just a tiny improvement, lol. You will love it!
    I hope so. This gear will be new territory for me. But after freezing my a** off a few nights I figure it is worth the chance. Plus, I happened to pick up a 900 fill down "sweater" and that think is miraculous. So I hope to be toasty this year. With my luck though, it will be too hot for the new gear and too windy for the fly fishing. I need to look up that single malt Scotch forum...

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    You picked a great quilt. I have the same one and absolutely love it. Storm Crow aka. Adam how own Hammock Gear uses a channel suspension. That means that instead of end attachments he has shock cord running the length of the UQ on both sides. This IMHO is a more convenient attachment method due to being able to adjust it verticaly while in the Hammock. Bringing it close to the head or foot end if needed. Enjoy the new quilt
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hello everyone! Great forum.

I have a HH Explorer bottom entrance an am impressed with the Hammockgear Incubator UQ. I think this would be a great set-up when using my BA bag.

Questions...

Are there any problems or considerations when using this UQ with the bottom entrance of the HH?

What material is used on the shell with the HG UQ?

Does anyone know what the packed size of the HG UQ is?

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
    Questions...

Are there any problems or considerations when using this UQ with the bottom entrance of the HH?

What material is used on the shell with the HG UQ?
    using an UQ with a HH bottom entry is a bit tricky. you either have to have an UQ that has a bottom entry as well (JRB) or you move it to the side while getting in. you need to be careful as to not put too much tension on the UQ suspension.
    if you don't have a mod done to your HH or a side zip and do get something other than HH's SS make sure you have your patience with you and practice the set up.

there isn't normally condensation unless you have a vapor barrier like a space blanket.

most UQ's are made out of ripstop or momentum

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast