Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles

Another Clark vs Warbonnet question

I have seen it mentioned that there is a great deal of difference in the way a Clark feels as compared to a WBBB.
    I have never been in a camping hammock and most likely will not get a chance to try one before buying. So maybe those of you with some experience with both can give me some guidance.
    The models I am considering are the NX-250 and the Warbonnet 1.7 double.
    I am 6' 3" and weigh 190# - the beanpole type. In a regular bed I sleep on my side or my stomach with a lot of shifting positions thruout the nite. Never sleep on my back.
    Given that information, can anyone tell me what to expect with the different hammocks?

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    I can't sleep on my stomach too well in either...why not go to a "hang" and try them out?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a past thread with a lot of info.....http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...lark+Warbonnet
    I have only slept in a Warbonnet so I only have half an answer.....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I have an NX-250, and I've just ordered a WBB as well. I plan to use the WBB for summer lightweight camping as the clark spreader poles take up space and overall the clark is heavier. I lay in my friends WBB last weekend and its comfortable, definitely. It's not as roomy as the clark, not by quite along way, but still, with the footpocket you can lay flat, roll over etc. In fact the sleeping position is pretty much the same if its set up correctly. That said I haven't slept in the WBB yet.

Also some obersavations on the two companies. Clark is standoff-ish, guarded in emails when you ask questions and generally pretty "corporate". Contrast that with Brandon who is approachable, friendly, quick to help - all round a nice guy who is genuinely into his products and proud of them, and so he should be. I bought a superfly and the build quality is nothing short of outstanding.

One fantastic thing with the clark though is the weathershield. It helps to keep heat in, keeps wind out and makes it really cozy but still roomy. I've slept in the clark in very windy/cold conditions and its been great, I've never had a cold night in it and I lie there and read whilst listening to the wind and the rain, secure in the knowledge that I'm warm and dry. I'd love to see Brandon offer a weathershield for the WBB. Paul at Arrowhead makes the BBO for it so I've ordered one of those too to see how it is.

Hope that helps.

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    I have both the Clark NX-200 and the WBBB. Although I have only had test hangs in my new WB so far, I can tell you this. The lay and positioning you will encounter in both are entirely different.
    I say, go to a hang and see if you can try them out.

I do have to say this about the Clark. It is weather worthy, having been through some pretty major storms in it and a few 10+ day trips. The weathershield does make a difference when the wind comes up under the tarp and the XL fly is more than sufficient.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    I have seen it mentioned that there is a great deal of difference in the way a Clark feels as compared to a WBBB.
    I have never been in a camping hammock and most likely will not get a chance to try one before buying. So maybe those of you with some experience with both can give me some guidance.
    The models I am considering are the NX-250 and the Warbonnet 1.7 double.
    I am 6' 3" and weigh 190# - the beanpole type. In a regular bed I sleep on my side or my stomach with a lot of shifting positions thruout the nite. Never sleep on my back.
    Given that information, can anyone tell me what to expect with the different hammocks?
    I've not been in or seen one of the Clark NX models. I do have a Tropical Clark and a 1.0 double BB. Between them I find that with my Clark, I sleep more like a cocoon shape. The sides of the Clark are right up on my shoulders and I sleep end to end (more or less straight down the middle). I sleep on my side with at least one knee bent, sometimes both. In my BB, I sleep way off center. The usually one side of the hammock will be on one shoulder but the other side, because I'm laying off center, is not pressing on my other shoulder. This causes the feeling of haveing a much more roomy feeling hammock. I can have my arms up and not feel like I'm being squeezed. The netting on both hammocks is held above you. The BB has an internal ridgeline that holds the netting. The Clark NX is held with additional poles. My Clark doesn't have the poles and the netting is held with ropes/shockcords to either the tarp or a seperate rope to the tree. My Clarks netting is held a lot further away from me than my BB's netting, when I'm laying inside these two hammocks. With the netting further away from your face, that could give you the impression of more space inside your hammock. I've not had any issues with the BB's netting being closer to me than what the Clark's netting is. I'm able to read just as well in either hammock. I do find that I can sit up inside my Clark easeir than the BB and I can change my shirts easier to because of the increased overhead room. The BB is ligher in weight than the Clark. The BB is easier, right of of the box, to hang up. The Clark, especially the one with the extra poles, will take longer. Each hammock has different built in advantages.
    I personally like both my hammocks and find that depending on what type of trip I'm planning will pack one or the other.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Cuben rag
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I have a Clark NA, bought 2002.
    I have a WB BB, bought 2008.
    I have a WB Travler, bought 2010.
    I also have a bunch of others.

But the Clark is never going out anymore,
    it's nice, but to heavy/over engineered IMHO.

If it's bugs out i take the WB BB, awsome lay on my back and occasionally sideways.
    If it's no bugs out i take the WB Travler,awsome lay on my back and occasionally sideways.

You said:
    In a regular bed I sleep on my side or my stomach with a lot of shifting positions thruout the nite. Never sleep on my back.
    And that could have been me as well

But, i never sleep on my stomach in a hammock and i don't think i miss it ?
    I do sleep sideways for very short periods, it's not that comfortable

But, i think i slowly are becoming a back sleeper in hammocks.
    In my outings last year i think i had 3-4 nights falling a sleep on my back
    and woke on my back in morning when it was time to get up

If you don't have an opportunity to try them before you buy,
    i would buy a WB Travler, or maybe make a DIY clone ?

It's great for none bug seasons.
    And you can always buy/make a bug net if you need it.
    The only drawback is that it doesn't come with a shelf

Good luck mate !
    Moski, who no longer feels the Secret Ninja Ski emptiness..............
    B/C he got them now

Hammock
    Amok XL
    Tarp
    TBD
    Suspension
    Tensa
    I'm a side, stomach sleeper and couldn't get used to the the BB. After 30 attempts I couldn't sleep more than 2 hours before I had to get out. My joints stiffen up and I just have to move. In the BB I could lie on one side but not the other and it just didn't work for me. Sold it.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    I have an NX-250, and I've just ordered a WBB as well. I plan to use the WBB for summer lightweight camping as the clark spreader poles take up space and overall the clark is heavier. I lay in my friends WBB last weekend and its comfortable, definitely. It's not as roomy as the clark, not by quite along way, but still, with the footpocket you can lay flat, roll over etc. In fact the sleeping position is pretty much the same if its set up correctly. That said I haven't slept in the WBB yet.

Also some obersavations on the two companies. Clark is standoff-ish, guarded in emails when you ask questions and generally pretty "corporate". Contrast that with Brandon who is approachable, friendly, quick to help - all round a nice guy who is genuinely into his products and proud of them, and so he should be. I bought a superfly and the build quality is nothing short of outstanding.

One fantastic thing with the clark though is the weathershield. It helps to keep heat in, keeps wind out and makes it really cozy but still roomy. I've slept in the clark in very windy/cold conditions and its been great, I've never had a cold night in it and I lie there and read whilst listening to the wind and the rain, secure in the knowledge that I'm warm and dry. I'd love to see Brandon offer a weathershield for the WBB. Paul at Arrowhead makes the BBO for it so I've ordered one of those too to see how it is.

Hope that helps.
    I have the exact same two rigs as Nick and pretty much agree with his assessment. The NX 250 is one of the heaviest hammocks out there and when it's cold I'm more than willing to tote it. The weather shield makes a huge difference when it's cold and/or windy. Having said that....most of my camping is done when the temps are pretty moderate. That's why I bought the WBBB 1.0 dbl. Why carry more when you don't need it. The WBBB is lighter and more compact.

Regarding comfort...I'm comfortable in both but definitely get a flatter lay in the WBBB. For me, having both hammocks is the perfect situation. The other factor of course is cost. You'll get more bang for the buck with the WBBB and there are plenty people that use it year round in all conditions.

Good luck with your choice. Try out both if possible.

Miguel

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I have a Clark Jungle Hammock I bought around 1999 before they even had these other models and it is no where near as comfortable as mt WBBB. Having said that though it has probably been changed a little over the years plus I did not get to try it out that much when I first got it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast