Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12, Vertex
    Insulation
    UGQ 40°/20° to 30°
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    One more small observation here from a Clark NX-250 owner in the Pacific Northwet. I have not tried a WB.

Most of my trips have been to high lake fly fishing destinations above 4000 feet. All of these trips have included being "in the clouds" with mist blowing sideways, and/or periods of heavy rain in temps to the low 40s. I am soooo thankful for the weathershield, the spreader poles, the 10'x10.5' Vertex tarp, and the pockets underneath the hammock (but within the down underquilt) to stow my day clothes; keeping them toasty warm to put on in the morning. It all works together to make a large oasis of cleverly thought out space protected from the elements.

The TX-250 was not available at the time and would be an option I'd have to think about with the trade-off of fewer pockets to stow frequently needed items underneath the hammock that can be reached while sitting or lying in the hammock for the convertible weathershield mesh hood with greater ventilation, visibility and a few extra ounces (hmmm, now that I think about it, naaaah).

As far as Customer Service goes, the owner spent about 15 or 20 unhurried minutes on the phone with me patiently answering all the anxious questions I had from the comparative research I'd done on the lighter and less expensive ENO, Hennessey, JRB, Speer, WB models before shelling out the big bucks, and even threw in a couple of low cost but nice to have accessories. That's Real Good Customer Service in my book.

One other thing... at home I am a stomach & side sleeper. I start out on my back but usually find myself waking up on my side in my Clark. It has a flat lay on the diagonal. I have a stomach sleeper friend that got a bridge hammock for a flatter lay without having to sleep on the diagonal.
    Last edited by Brian Miller; 01-19-2015 at 12:43. Reason: One other thing...
    Brian
    (formerly Oblique Angler)

Job 41:1, 2

`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´><((((º>`•. ¸
    `•.¸.•´><((((º>¯`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´`•.¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•. ¸

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I am a side sleeper most of the time, except in the Warbonnet BB. I can and do sleep on my side in the BB - I wake later on and find myself on my back, on my side AND back (only possible in a hammock), and still comfortable. Using an underquilt makes all those positions more possible than putting a pad in the hammock - the quilt will move around with you no matter what.

Never tried a Clark, since all of them are heavier than I find acceptable. Never had a problem with the BB in weather when I have the right tarp for the job.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Well, I was ignoring this thread until I realized I was the OP almost 4YEARS AGO.
    Since the OP I have had a WBBB, a Clark Tropical, and a Clark NX-250.
    I preferred the Clarks, for comfort and features, over the Blackbird but, truthfully, I never found any of them to be as comfortable as so many folks here find their hammocks to be. Certainly not as comfortable as my bed at home. That was until I got a Ridgerunner - Now I get it. Comfort at last. Clark or Warbonnet or whatever, I will probably never buy another gathered end hammock.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 + WB RR 1.7 Double
    Insulation
    Leaves or JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm 6'6, 220# and I have both an NX-250 and a WB. I only recently picked up the WB (Ridgerunner 1.7 double), so my data points are limited. I generally sleep on my back, but occasionally go on my side. Side sleeping is much better on the WB...I can do it in the Clark, but it's more like a 45 or 60 degree turn to the side as opposed to true side sleeping. I haven't tried stomach sleeping in either one....I suppose you could do it in the WB but i'm doubtful it would be a pleasant experience in the NX.

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    Just purchased a WB BB set-up in the for sale section- (price was too good for quilts/tarp... to pass up) which will arrive this week. Gonna take the kids out this weekend and will try and do a comparison between the two Clarke NX 250's I have and the WB-

Check out the Black Bird XLC. 11 foot long with the option to have a bug net, winter top cover or just the hammock.

Hammock
    Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11WB
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been using Clarks Jungle Hammocks for 15 years. Have owned the original "Ultralight" model (my favorite!), the "Tropical," and the NX-150.
    A little heavier, yes. But Clarks is the most full featured hammock on the market. I like the side pockets!
    I wasn't too thrilled with the old "sculpted" integral rain fly, but now all their models use separate detachable tarps. I don't use the tarp that came with the hammock, opting instead for HG cuben, or UGQ Winter Dream.
    I like having entry from either side. It's easier to orient the hammock for the view, yet still have direct access from the primary camp area such as fire ring.
    My quality of sleep is also better in the Clarks.

I'm one who doesn't understand why so many people like the WBBB. I bought one, used it quite a bit, and hate it.
    One side entry limits hang options if you want a view. The 'calf ridge' cuts circulation and causes my legs to go to sleep.
    I get leg cramps and have to get up and walk around. I honestly sleep better while sitting in my Sling-Light chair!
    While I like the "shelf" in the WBBB, I don't like having to run a tie-out for it. And I really miss not having the pockets as found on Clarks.

I suppose it's safe to say that I'm always searching for something else and maybe think the grass will be greener, but I always go back to the Clarks.
    I just ordered a Dream Hammock "Thunderbird." I don't have it yet so the jury is still out. I'm expecting to like it better than WBBB, but I know the pockets of the Clarks will still be missing.

Hammock
    TX-150, Roo, HB SBBF
    Tarp
    Vertex, ShangriLa
    Insulation
    Z-liner, WL SS UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. buckle
    I have a Clark NX-150 and love it. I have a Kammok Roo which is nice but heavy, a Meck Envy I am still trying to dial in (can't find the sweet spot) and a Hammock Bliss my kids use. I find I sleep better in the Clark and it is real easy to dial in and find the sweet spot. Customer service has always been excellent. I may try a bridge style hammock. But for now, my go to hammock is the Clark. Maybe a tad bit heavier, but the weather shield is worth the weight.
    Discretion is the better of valor

Hammock
    Hammeck netty &amp; NX-270
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Phoenix 40*
    Suspension
    Whoopy-Slings
    I had a NX-250 for a couple of years and loved it, but I wanted something lighter. So I sold it and got a clark ultralite and a single layer 1.7 blackbird. I tried to sleep in the garage a couple of nights in the blackbird, but both times I woke up and thought I would be more comfortable in my bed so I didn't finish the night both nights. I just came back from a Michigan winter hang and I slept in the clark ultralight 11 hours and was never uncomfortable.

Hammock
    Clarke NX 250's/WB BB XLC
    Tarp
    Vert/HG CF3/S Fly
    Insulation
    HG/JRB/Z liner
    Suspension
    Dutch
    I just set up the WB BB XLC I received today and my initial thoughts are as follows-

This appears to be a very nice hammock and well constructed. Its lighter than the Clark NX 250 and I attribute that difference to the materials each company uses. However, once you add the winter cover the weight difference is not giant. The WB looks like it will provide a very flat and very comfortable diagonal lay- significantly more so than the Clark. The Superbly tarp is a lot better than the Clark Vertex.

So over all I would say that if the Clark is your true 4 season hammock- (which I believe it is) then the WB BB XLC with winter cover is a strong 3 season hammock and a great option for all but the toughest of conditions. I could see the BB being a great late Spring/Summer/early Fall set-up for high Sierra/Rocky Mountain camping where you are gonna get the afternoon showers/cold nights/warm days and possibly light snow.

Will try it out later this month and report back on comfort but over all I am impressed by the hammock and think it is a great addition.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123