Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles

Another Clark vs Warbonnet question

I have seen it mentioned that there is a great deal of difference in the way a Clark feels as compared to a WBBB.
    I have never been in a camping hammock and most likely will not get a chance to try one before buying. So maybe those of you with some experience with both can give me some guidance.
    The models I am considering are the NX-250 and the Warbonnet 1.7 double.
    I am 6' 3" and weigh 190# - the beanpole type. In a regular bed I sleep on my side or my stomach with a lot of shifting positions thruout the nite. Never sleep on my back.
    Given that information, can anyone tell me what to expect with the different hammocks?

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    I can't sleep on my stomach too well in either...why not go to a "hang" and try them out?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Here is a past thread with a lot of info.....http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...lark+Warbonnet
    I have only slept in a Warbonnet so I only have half an answer.....
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Clark
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HGWinter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    I have an NX-250, and I've just ordered a WBB as well. I plan to use the WBB for summer lightweight camping as the clark spreader poles take up space and overall the clark is heavier. I lay in my friends WBB last weekend and its comfortable, definitely. It's not as roomy as the clark, not by quite along way, but still, with the footpocket you can lay flat, roll over etc. In fact the sleeping position is pretty much the same if its set up correctly. That said I haven't slept in the WBB yet.

Also some obersavations on the two companies. Clark is standoff-ish, guarded in emails when you ask questions and generally pretty "corporate". Contrast that with Brandon who is approachable, friendly, quick to help - all round a nice guy who is genuinely into his products and proud of them, and so he should be. I bought a superfly and the build quality is nothing short of outstanding.

One fantastic thing with the clark though is the weathershield. It helps to keep heat in, keeps wind out and makes it really cozy but still roomy. I've slept in the clark in very windy/cold conditions and its been great, I've never had a cold night in it and I lie there and read whilst listening to the wind and the rain, secure in the knowledge that I'm warm and dry. I'd love to see Brandon offer a weathershield for the WBB. Paul at Arrowhead makes the BBO for it so I've ordered one of those too to see how it is.

Hope that helps.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    I have an NX-250, and I've just ordered a WBB as well. I plan to use the WBB for summer lightweight camping as the clark spreader poles take up space and overall the clark is heavier. I lay in my friends WBB last weekend and its comfortable, definitely. It's not as roomy as the clark, not by quite along way, but still, with the footpocket you can lay flat, roll over etc. In fact the sleeping position is pretty much the same if its set up correctly. That said I haven't slept in the WBB yet.

Also some obersavations on the two companies. Clark is standoff-ish, guarded in emails when you ask questions and generally pretty "corporate". Contrast that with Brandon who is approachable, friendly, quick to help - all round a nice guy who is genuinely into his products and proud of them, and so he should be. I bought a superfly and the build quality is nothing short of outstanding.

One fantastic thing with the clark though is the weathershield. It helps to keep heat in, keeps wind out and makes it really cozy but still roomy. I've slept in the clark in very windy/cold conditions and its been great, I've never had a cold night in it and I lie there and read whilst listening to the wind and the rain, secure in the knowledge that I'm warm and dry. I'd love to see Brandon offer a weathershield for the WBB. Paul at Arrowhead makes the BBO for it so I've ordered one of those too to see how it is.

Hope that helps.
    I have the exact same two rigs as Nick and pretty much agree with his assessment. The NX 250 is one of the heaviest hammocks out there and when it's cold I'm more than willing to tote it. The weather shield makes a huge difference when it's cold and/or windy. Having said that....most of my camping is done when the temps are pretty moderate. That's why I bought the WBBB 1.0 dbl. Why carry more when you don't need it. The WBBB is lighter and more compact.

Regarding comfort...I'm comfortable in both but definitely get a flatter lay in the WBBB. For me, having both hammocks is the perfect situation. The other factor of course is cost. You'll get more bang for the buck with the WBBB and there are plenty people that use it year round in all conditions.

Good luck with your choice. Try out both if possible.

Miguel

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I have a Clark Jungle Hammock I bought around 1999 before they even had these other models and it is no where near as comfortable as mt WBBB. Having said that though it has probably been changed a little over the years plus I did not get to try it out that much when I first got it.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250, NX 270, D H Sparrow
    Tarp
    Clark XL, Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ, LL UQ
    Suspension
    WS,straps,toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJ View Post
    I'm sorry you got that impression from Clarks. My experience was exactly the opposite. I found them to be very helpful and completely willing to give me any information I asked for. I even called them on the phone and had a wonderful conversation with them. I ended up ordering the NX-250 and even though I haven't slept in anything else, I can't see myself wanting anything else. It has everything. I corresponded with Brandon early on via e-mail and found him to be just as you described. I just wanted to say it definitely does not seem to me that Clark is in any a "corporate" type of company. They are a small company, handmaking everything to the highest of standards, and located right here isn the USA.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Wow, ask and you shall receive. Thanks for all the shared information here. I had other questions about Clark vs. Warbonnet but they mostly got addressed in these discussions. Also getting pointed towards some prior threads got me into a lot of good information, too.

Now... I need to digest all this...retiring in 7 weeks and I'm ready for a 'hammock nap'.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    HammockGear 40*UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    well i'm 6'6'' and i can sleep on my stomach in my nx-200 from clark...but i've never tried a warbonnet

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    I have both the Clark NX-200 and the WBBB. Although I have only had test hangs in my new WB so far, I can tell you this. The lay and positioning you will encounter in both are entirely different.
    I say, go to a hang and see if you can try them out.

I do have to say this about the Clark. It is weather worthy, having been through some pretty major storms in it and a few 10+ day trips. The weathershield does make a difference when the wind comes up under the tarp and the XL fly is more than sufficient.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast