Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Bridge ?'s - The Good and the Bad

Hi all,

I need to start off by saying that I'm very new to hammocks.
    I've never owned one, or for that fact, never even laid in a camping style hammock, only the backyard leisure type.

I'm going to buy or make a hammock, no doubt about that.
    In fact, over time, I'll probably end up BOTH buying and making a few hammocks (realistic about getting carried away in my hobbies) of different styles.

Right now I like the idea of combining some characteristics of the WBBB, HHDJ, and the Clark NA, all into one hammock of the DIY variety, but am being honest with myself in thinking that would be a lot to bite off and chew for a first time DIY hammock project.

SO....... comes the reason for this thread.

I've seen the "Bridge Design" and like the simplicity.
    I see the downside of the spreaders as far as packing and such, but also like the idea of the open feeling I believe they must help create.

I've read about the "tippy" feeling this type of design causes, but feel I can overcome that with the addition of a tie out or by the way you actually rig the suspension to the tree (or a combination of both).

I like the fact that it would seem MUCH easier to adapt, customize, or DIY netting and winter panels for this design as well, since the "squareness" of the top should make it much easier to work with.

I ask the more experienced hanger out there to please comment on my ideas, as well as on the basic benefits and short commings of the bridge design itself.

ie:
    Is it easily used as a chair/lounger?

Does the design create more or less "squeeze" than a gathered end style?

Would a "DIY guy" benefit from adding some type of ridgeline hanging system to create more headroom for a bug net, or is the basic design sufficient?

Has anyone tried adding tie outs to this design and if so, your thoughts?

I'm sure there are many more questions to be asked, but being new to this, I'm actually confusing myself at this point in time..... am I "overthinking" all of this?

ps: I'm planning on attending the MAHHA event @ Pine Grove Furnace this Spring in order to learn from you guys (careful, I'll drain the knowledge from your brain) but knowing myself, I doubt I'll be able to wait that long before taking the plunge, and possibly "jumping INTO a BRIDGE".

Any and all help greatly appreciated,
    to bridge or not to bridge???

jd

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. I tried to answer some of your questions below.

Quote Originally Posted by jerseydave View Post
    Hi all,

I've never owned one, or for that fact, never even laid in a camping style hammock, only the backyard leisure type.

In fact, over time, I'll probably end up BOTH buying and making a few hammocks (realistic about getting carried away in my hobbies) of different styles.

You will fit right in

Right now I like the idea of combining some characteristics of the WBBB, HHDJ, and the Clark NA, all into one hammock of the DIY variety, but am being honest with myself in thinking that would be a lot to bite off and chew for a first time DIY hammock project.

I see the downside of the spreaders as far as packing and such, but also like the idea of the open feeling I believe they must help create.

I've read about the "tippy" feeling this type of design causes, but feel I can overcome that with the addition of a tie out or by the way you actually rig the suspension to the tree (or a combination of both).

More of a myth than a reality. I have never come close to tipping out of a bridge. Getting in a netless gathered end hammock is another story.

I like the fact that it would seem MUCH easier to adapt, customize, or DIY netting and winter panels for this design as well, since the "squareness" of the top should make it much easier to work with.

Yes and No. I think in many ways it is easier on the other hammocks because you are only dealing with 2 sides. On a bridge you have to deal with the rectangle shape.

I ask the more experienced hanger out there to please comment on my ideas, as well as on the basic benefits and short commings of the bridge design itself.

Requires a slightly larger tarp IMO. I can use a diamond or small tarp on the gathered end hammocks but find my bridge hammocks require a larger hex tarp

Flatter lay. I have to use a pillow in a bridge due it laying flatter from head to toe.

Very easy to attach UQ to and get to seal properly. Also easier to use a pad in.

This are the main +/- for me. I am sure some more members will add to this list

ie:

Yes

Generally speaking "sqeeze" is more of an issue with the bridge. Either style can produce shoulder squeeze if not sized or suspended correctly.

Would a "DIY guy" benefit from adding some type of ridgeline hanging system to create more headroom for a bug net, or is the basic design sufficient?

More personal preference than anything. Check out what dblhmmck, GrizzlyAdams, and TeeDee have done

I think this has been tried but don't think anyone is doing this

I'm sure there are many more questions to be asked, but being new to this, I'm actually confusing myself at this point in time..... am I "overthinking" all of this?

Check out the link below. All my bridge hammocks have used this as the starting point. The suspension has changed since this article was published but the basic pattern is a great foundation for your project.

GrizzlyAdam's Guide to making a bridge hammock

The link below is to one of my trip reports showing off diy gear. I show an easy way to make the ends of the bridge hammock which is the hardest part IMO

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=23294

ps: I'm planning on attending the MAHHA event @ Pine Grove Furnace this Spring in order to learn from you guys (careful, I'll drain the knowledge from your brain) but knowing myself, I doubt I'll be able to wait that long before taking the plunge, and possibly "jumping INTO a BRIDGE".

jd
    Hope this helps some.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jerseydave View Post
    Hi all,

Hi jerseydave, welcome to Hammock Forums!

Guess a lot of the answers depend on if you are buying a JRB or DIY.
    The spreader bars cause me no problems at all when packing. But I can see that they might depending on the type of pack used. Some people use their hiking poles for spreader bars.
    I'm not sure a bridge is any more "wide open" than any other good hammock design. If you have one of the better designs like a Warbonnet or numerous others, everything will be pretty "open".

When I first got a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock (BMBH), I thought it was very tippy. But after I got used to it, I decided that is really not a problem, and it is in fact very stable. Although adding a thick pad does increase the "tipping factor". Still, I have never come close to falling out.

ie:
    In my opinion ( No doubt debatable ) it is probably the best lounger. Although depending on how you are sitting in it, you might have to squirm around to find an exact position – or put something soft under your legs – to keep the stiff edge from causing and uncomfortable pressure point. But that same stiff edge is what supplies an excellent "chair back" for me to lean back against. And then there's this:

Only in a bridge! ( very comfortable BTW! )

Depending on how you define "shoulder squeeze", either lots more or not at all. If you hang a non-bridge hammock too tight, you will quickly become aware of a distinctly uncomfortable squeeze/pressure in the shoulders. The first thing everybody notices when laying in a JRB BMBH is an "apparent shoulder squeeze". But it is really not- for me- the same thing as the shoulder squeeze from a too tightly hung hammock. The shape of the BMBH is a "U", or maybe close to a "V", and it forces your shoulders to assume that shape. To me it is about the same sensation as if – while standing – I curve my shoulders into a bad posture. If I just rest my arms over my abdomen as I normally do anyway, it is really not uncomfortable to me. Whereas the normal shoulder squeeze that we talk about is intolerable for me. Also, if you are a pad user, a wide pad flattens the bottom out a bit and for me gets rid of all shoulder issues. But some folks clearly prefer traditional hammocks when it comes to the way it feels in the shoulders.

A ridge line can be handy for number of reasons. But it is completely unneeded in my experience for managing the net with a BMBH. The net stays high above my face and body. Some other design might be different.

I can't really imagine what function it would serve with a BMBH. The edges of the BMBH are quite stiff compared to all other hammocks. It is about as wide as it is going to get before you get in it, and tie outs won't change that. Unless maybe you are trying to decrease hammock motion or increase stability?

jd
    Yes that is the question, isn't it? If only anybody here could give you a clear answer that would be the correct answer for you! I love a JRB BMBH, and for me it is the hands-down winner in some important areas (but not all). I am one of those people that tends to have problems ( and more than most folks) with left calf pressure – to a very small degree or a lot – with all traditional hammocks on a diagonal position. And also sometimes knee hyperextension problems. The bridge is the only hammock that 100% solves these problems for me. So that tends to make the bridge a favorite for me. Also side sleeping with legs straight or moderate fetal is foolproof – always. (For me better than any other hammock when on either side legs straight) it makes a great lounger. It works better and more foolproof with a JRB MW 4 than any other hammock/under quilt combo I have tried.

But, I cannot do full fetal unless I'm using a wide pad (important for some folks). Where as I can achieve total comfort in my Hennessy hammocks (once I learned the trick) in full fetal position. For the most part calf/knee problems are easily solved with something cushy under my knees, and I still prefer that even in the BMBH. The spreader bars will give you some tarp issues that can be solved but must be dealt with. And, though the BMBH is for me very comfortable overall even when flat on my back, and even considering shoulder issues, I still prefer the less restricted feel in the shoulders of more traditional hammocks. Even if it is not actually an uncomfortable squeeze in the BMBH, I just prefer it to be more "wide open" in the shoulders. And I imagine for some people this is even more important.

So it's just going to come down to personal preference, and which pros and cons most relate to you. Good luck on deciding that even at a group hang where these different hammocks are available to you! So much of this is just personal preference. Some people don't like the BMBH at all, other people love them, others are undecided. I really like my Hennessy Hammock Super Shelter, some other people really like them and some people hate them. You get the idea! Have fun figuring it out! But if you get to try the BMBH at a group hang, just don't be too quick to write it off because of the different feel in the shoulders compared to the other hammocks. By the way, for me getting just ever so slightly – barely a perceptible amount – on my side pretty much does away with shoulder issues for me. And if you're going to use a pad, this is yet another category in which the BMBH is the hands-down winner!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ask concise detailed questions, get the same in return for answers.....

Thanks for taking the time to answer in detail guys, truly appreciate it.

jd

• + New Posts