Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I got a silnylon tarp from a reputable manufacturer. The first time I tested it in a heavy downpour, I believe I witnessed it mist through--I could see it, and there were slightly damp spots on my hammock and sleeping bag.The manufacturer was not keen on my exchanging the tarp and insisted it was leaking because I had the tarp pitched wrong, the theory being the tarp was too low and the rain drops hitting the tarp were knocking down excessive condensation. Or rain was coming out the pullouts, where I should have sealed but did not. (They did leak but were not the problem.)

I began setting the tarp higher and have not had any problems, but the tarp has yet to see that kind of rain again. None the less, I don't trust it, and want to make it my winter only tarp. Currently, as I type this post, I am considering a custom poly tarp, constructed of heavier nylon.

The cuben fiber is suppose to be the best strength vs weight, but it rattles like a bag of chips (I have a cuben bag). And it is really expensive.

Best Luck Tarping

Hammock
    DIY Argon 11.5'
    Tarp
    DIY SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0º, UGQ FJ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speedhooks
    Interesting first post. I've had it rain INSIDE a tarp from high humidity alone, not raining outside.
    It is entirely possible that rain knocks down condensation causing misting.
    It is possible that you have a bad tarp but if it's new and silnylon, you need more than one experience with it to determine cause IMO.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Here is a good read from the thread that Knotty linked to by member Roger Caffin on backpackinglight...hope this isn't against the rules, let me know if that is the case.
    Chris-
    My thanks to you and Knotty for posting that info.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LivinLarge View Post
    I got a silnylon tarp from a reputable manufacturer. The first time I tested it in a heavy downpour, I believe I witnessed it mist through--I could see it, and there were slightly damp spots on my hammock and sleeping bag.The manufacturer was not keen on my exchanging the tarp and insisted it was leaking because I had the tarp pitched wrong, the theory being the tarp was too low and the rain drops hitting the tarp were knocking down excessive condensation. Or rain was coming out the pullouts, where I should have sealed but did not. (They did leak but were not the problem.)

I began setting the tarp higher and have not had any problems, but the tarp has yet to see that kind of rain again. None the less, I don't trust it, and want to make it my winter only tarp. Currently, as I type this post, I am considering a custom poly tarp, constructed of heavier nylon.

The cuben fiber is suppose to be the best strength vs weight, but it rattles like a bag of chips (I have a cuben bag). And it is really expensive.

Best Luck Tarping
    What you are describing sounds like condensation. I own a silnylon tarp, several PU-coated polyester tarps, PU-coated nylon tarps, and a cuben fiber tarp. I've experienced condensation with every one of them. When the air is saturated with water vapor, condensation is likely to occur. Heck, I've seen fog roll into my camp and had dripping condensation inside my CF tarp within an hour of setting up. Seems a bit silly to not trust the tarp, especially since it sounds like you're describing the Superfly, one of the most popular tarps on HF, and it sounds like you have limited experience with it. I don't think you'll be successful finding a tarp material that is condensation proof, but have fun!

Not sure what you mean by "custom poly tarp, constructed of heavier nylon." A poly tarp is made of polyester (usually PU coated). A nylon tarp is made of nylon (either PU coated or silicone impregnated). I don't know of any tarp vendor that could make you a custom PU-coated nylon tarp. Warbonnet can make you a PU-coated nylon Multicam Warbonnet, but he doesn't do custom work, to my knowledge. Besides, at 3 lb.2 oz., and $220, it's really for people who value "you can't see me" over weight. Heck, you could get a camo cuben fiber tarp for not much more money.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    An argument/debate best avoided by me, however.

I have had Sil-nylon mist,
    A-it does wear out.
    B-being a MYOG person I've used untested fabrics and seconds. Like anything else, not every product is created equally.
    C- That said- it is easy to confuse condensation being knocked off with misting. Especially in a bivy or tent.

If it helps the OP-
    PU- generally better, generally heavier.
    Works well for packs, shelter floors, or other high abuse areas.

GOOD SIL- works great for tarps, and shelters.
    I have found better water resistance with high angle shelters also (Mids or steep pitched tarps). Something like a simple bivy sack is hard to stay bone dry even with good SIL.

You can get some heavy coated Sil, but to me it seems that by the time you hit the weights of these fabrics you're usually better off going with a PU fabric at that point.

A PU wrong side, Sil on the right side makes a very nice floor fabric.

Hammock
    snipe hammock
    Tarp
    sil/pu hex
    Insulation
    3M Thinsulate/down
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    thanks for putting things into perspective ChrisH

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    FWIW, There is silnyl with PU coating.... It splits the difference weight wise between the two... The JRB Universal Tarp in brown color is made of this material... Huge 12x10 and is 24 oz in weight.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12