Thread: switchin' gears

switchin' gears

Prior to my introduction of the concept of hammock hangin' (a short time ago) I was planning on thru hiking and tenting. As a result I have recently purchased a Mountain Hardware Switch 20 Deg sleeping bag and a Outdoor Research Expedition Downmat. The initial reading I've done leads me to believe that using a hammock rather than a tent requires a different approach and therefore different gear. Should I be returning the bag/mat and start looking at other equipment (quilts, whatever)?

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    claytor
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    straps with cinch
    Lonewolf ...I use a sleeping bag in stead of a quilt. I like it because I can use it as a quilt or if need be I can get in it and zip it up, witch is what I do when winter camping/hanging. The down mat will also work great you will probably want to add some thing like this http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm To make it more comfortable and warm If you plan on doing a cold weather hanging.

Hope this helps! 8^)
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
    Prior to my introduction of the concept of hammock hangin' (a short time ago) I was planning on thru hiking and tenting. As a result I have recently purchased a Mountain Hardware Switch 20 Deg sleeping bag and a Outdoor Research Expedition Downmat. The initial reading I've done leads me to believe that using a hammock rather than a tent requires a different approach and therefore different gear. Should I be returning the bag/mat and start looking at other equipment (quilts, whatever)?
    Not necessarily. Last night I was hanging, went to 2 degrees F (oh for 2 more!) and as part of my under-insulation I had a Downmat 7 short. Aside from the fact that it was the only thing between me and cold from my upper thighs down, and worked, I like how small it is when packed. I think it prudent on a long hike to be prepared to go to ground, and having some mat or pad as part of the setup makes sense to me.

Your bag has a side zipper that runs all the way down the side. And it's narrow. Just opening it up, sticking your feet in the footbox and laying it on top of you like a quilt should work.

It is true though that if your stuff is unused and can be returned for full $$ back then you may want to bring them back and consider a clean slate.

But if you'd take a hit $$ wise doing that ---or even not--- I'd opine that if you got a double-bottomed hammock or one with a pad pocket (to keep the Downmat out of the hammock), and an underquilt, you're set for insulation. I don't like having pad inside the hammock with me, but you could try with the Downmat
    and an SPE, and some clothes or something under your feet.

BTW the underquilt I used is a JRB Nest, I folded it back to make a 1/2 UQ that insulates me from butt to ears. Theres about a 9 inch overlap between UQ and Downmat.

Grizz
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 01-19-2008 at 14:59.

If you want to stay with a bag I reccomend a Feathered Friends Rock Wren.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    using the sleeping bag as a quilt like grizz said, will work just fine.
    latter on, if you decide you like a quilt better, you could remove the zipper.
    i've made several quilts from sleeping bags that way.

and i always sleep on one of the thicker, insulated air mats. sometimes i think it would be nice to not deal w/ inflating & deflating, but after a couple back surgeries i do much better w/ it.

in warmer times i use a BA insulated air core. in colder times i use an exped DAM or a warmlite DAM.
    but if it's going to be very cold (low 40s & 30s) i would usually like to have an under quilt on the out side of the hammock too.

welcome to HF. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts