WB Blackbird 1.7 Double Layer
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    What Average temps do you generally sleep in? High altitude or low? And winter camping, sub zero or 15 plus? What is the warmest you plan to hammock in? All questions that factor into your decision.

I use my winter crows nest and burrow between 0-20, 20-35 I use my 3 season quilts, and 35 and above I use my summer set. All are Hammock Gear Quilts. If you get a 3 season you can boost with CCF pad or vapor barrier of some sort. If you get the winter you can just vent it.

The problem me personally I have found with venting is if you vent to much you may get a cold spot from to much sag, but if you have it to tight it gets to hot. All things to think about. But if it were me and I could do things over again. I would get a 3S set before I would of gotten my Winter set. No regrets none at all cause now I have both but it's more of an after thought.

And lastly its Hammock Gear, its gonna be a great quilt no matter what and regardless chances are your gonna end up with 1,2 maybe even 3 more Hammock Gear quilts. Its just a fact of the hammock addiction

HYOH
    LRR
    The temperatures will range from a max of -30C in the winter with windchill (-22F) to a max of probably 20C (70F or so)

Quote Originally Posted by Law Dawg View Post
    Welcome to the addiction...I gave up my heroin habit because it was cutting into my hammock funds.
    Haha, well I'm planning on putting a down payment on my first house in the next while, I'm in the market to buy, just haven't found the right house yet Once I do though, I feel like mortgage and bills will add up
    Last edited by ofsjason; 02-26-2011 at 16:37.

Images
    again, my first quilt was a mt. wash 4. 0 degree. used it for 2 years. only bought the nest for weight.
    i have a funny feeling we well be reading trip reports from you soon.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    again, my first quilt was a mt. wash 4. 0 degree. used it for 2 years. only bought the nest for weight.
    i have a funny feeling we well be reading trip reports from you soon.
    One of my main hobbies is Nature/Animal Photography, so you'll get trip reports with pictures

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I was in a similar spot as you when I ordered my 3 Season Incubator & Burrow, just shifted by one season, as I don't currently do any winter camping. I was looking for one set that would do it all from spring to fall. I talked to Adam & others about a summer set, or maybe a combo of summer & 3 season. Everyone advised me to go 3 season all the way. I figured I'd rather be warm & vent, than freeze. The nice thing about the Burrow is that I can unsnap it and open the footbox in warmer temps, plus vent the Incubator. I know it's hard to find one set that does everything perfectly, but your winter Incubator will probably do most things well enough to not regret your purchase.
    KJ

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    I was in a similar spot as you when I ordered my 3 Season Incubator & Burrow, just shifted by one season, as I don't currently do any winter camping. I was looking for one set that would do it all from spring to fall. I talked to Adam & others about a summer set, or maybe a combo of summer & 3 season. Everyone advised me to go 3 season all the way. I figured I'd rather be warm & vent, than freeze. The nice thing about the Burrow is that I can unsnap it and open the footbox in warmer temps, plus vent the Incubator. I know it's hard to find one set that does everything perfectly, but your winter Incubator will probably do most things well enough to not regret your purchase.
    KJ
    That's what I'm hoping for! I figure if I'm too hot from the bottom, I can get out of the sleeping bag and just use it as a blanket, etc. Being too hot is easy to fix when you can easily vent the bottom or top, but being too cold is hard to fix.

Hell my ideal situation would be not even needing a sleeping bag and just bringing a wool blanket as a top cover

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Maybe you can use your new gear here.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
    , but your winter Incubator will probably do most things well enough to not regret your purchase.
    KJ
    any incubator will do most things well enough to not regret your purchase so true Cataraftgirl. Enjoy what ever quilt you get and I def want some trip reports and pictures.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    any incubator will do most things well enough to not regret your purchase so true Cataraftgirl. Enjoy what ever quilt you get and I def want some trip reports and pictures.
    Done and done

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    When you get it you'll know you chose well. Adam does super primo work.
    To me its interesting because I've never gotten hot on the bottom. I've gotten cold
    on top though and its easy to vent the top--not hard to vent the bottom mind you
    but I bet you won't have any issues.
    Now since you got a full length UQ didn't you? Well it will work as a TQ too...yeah some strings/cords/bungies might get in the way but you can unclip them.....in this case you'd use a lighter UQ and the lighter the UQ the heavier he TQ needs to be because its true-the more you have on the bottom the less you need on top.
    When you're playing with the variations don't forget the venerable 1/4 inch ccf torso pad-so many uses, on of which being an insurance policy against super cold snaps or GOD FORBID you have to go to ground.
    If you end up not liking that quilt it wouldn't last long on the for sale listing here

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I think you made the right choice, too. You vary your top insulation to suit the nighttime temperatures the same way you do when sleeping in a bed. The bottom quilt isn't likely to make you too warm unless you head south (way south) in the summertime.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast