View Poll Results: how low can you go ( or think you can go) with a 1" CCF pad?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 35*

1 2.44%
  • 30*

6 14.63%
  • 25*

4 9.76%
  • 20*

7 17.07%
  • 15*

8 19.51%
  • 10*

5 12.20%
  • 5*

2 4.88%
  • 0* or lower

8 19.51%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I'll find out this weekend on my first real hang. A big cold front is blowing through and I'll be riding/sleeping in it. I'm a little nervous because not only will it be my first true hang, but it's going to be below freezing. I've tested out my full length thermarest Prolite 4 with 20 degree down bag. I was quite comfy in it but it was in the 40's not upper 20's. I was thinking of bringing a windshield reflector just in case. I'll be wearing all my clothes, including rain jacket and rain pants so I'll have 3 to 4 layers on without restricting blood circulation. Hopefully this will get me through!

Images
    Wow, very interesting results, with quite a range. I don't know if there are still a few more to respond, but a solid 1 out of 3 vote for zero and below! That is impressive. But a wide range, with at least one voting for only 35*. And about 50% falling between 10 and 25, so far.

I'm figuring Neo is good for at least minus 20*, considering he is counting on minus 10 with his new pad of less than 1". So imagine: the range between different folks is 55 degrees!

In sleeping bag terms that's like saying that if person A can sleep at 70* with no bag and be comfy, someone else might be able to do 15* with no bag! But I don't really think we would ever see a range like that with sleeping bags.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-15-2008 at 19:00.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sherpaxc View Post
    I'll find out this weekend on my first real hang. A big cold front is blowing through and I'll be riding/sleeping in it. I'm a little nervous because not only will it be my first true hang, but it's going to be below freezing. I've tested out my full length thermarest Prolite 4 with 20 degree down bag. I was quite comfy in it but it was in the 40's not upper 20's. I was thinking of bringing a windshield reflector just in case. I'll be wearing all my clothes, including rain jacket and rain pants so I'll have 3 to 4 layers on without restricting blood circulation. Hopefully this will get me through!
    I went below 20 degrees on top of a ProLite 4. It was on top of a layer of insulbrite fabric to reflect heat back trying to limit heat loss out the bottom side. The reflector ought to do the same thing.

I also sleep in insulated pants and jacket though whenever it's in the 40s or below.

Grizz

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can't vote because I've never slept in a hammock before.

- JT

should I put the reflector on top of the pad? If so, does it matter what side?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Wow, very interesting results, with quite a range. I don't know if there are still a few more to respond, but a solid 1 out of 3 vote for zero and below! That is impressive. But a wide range, with at least one voting for only 35*. And about 50% falling between 10 and 25, so far.

I'm figuring Neo is good for at least minus 20*, considering he is counting on minus 10 with his new pad of less than 1". So imagine: the range between different folks is 55 degrees!

In sleeping bag terms that's like saying that if person A can sleep at 70* with no bag and be comfy, someone else might be able to do 15* with no bag! But I don't really think we would ever see a range like that with sleeping bags.

Could it be that 'we' here on the forum aren't differentiating between effective insulation and being cold. I don't know if I can write about it well but I believe there's a difference...you can be well insulated, e.g., the pad keeps the cold from coming through while in a hammock, but still be cold. The cold may be kept at bay underneath but if you're not dressed warmly or have a functioning sleeping bag you're gonna be cold.

I believe a pad can provide insulation but I don't think it can necessarily keep you warm. That's up to other parts of the sleep system. Consequently, I also think that threre's a limit to effective thicknesses of pads. At some point/thickness and at a given temperature, no one will feel cold coming through. Any thickness beyond that will serve no insulative purpose.

FB

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Condensation is more than just a comfort issue BB58.... A hammock wrapped pad can produce a puddle under a back sweater that prefers to sleep warm.... This will produce chilling plus several extra trips to the bio tree, all in all a pretty poor nights sleep.

Don't get me wrond small pads have their place to manage the occasional cold spot.... I prefer a breathable system....

Turk recently posted a picure of a soaked, synthetic bag that was used over a pad in a hammock this winter.... he started a thread about the issues of condensation after that.... some 16-32 oz of water in that bag..

Don't believe that Neo sweats, though.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

I voted for zero or below- I think-(based on what I'm reading) I could hang with neo!!! I love the cold when I'm sleeping!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Condensation is more than just a comfort issue BB58.... A hammock wrapped pad can produce a puddle under a back sweater that prefers to sleep warm.... This will produce chilling plus several extra trips to the bio tree, all in all a pretty poor nights sleep................

Pan
    Oh, I agree. Although being chilled is definitely discomfort, though also potentially much worse than just discomfort.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Pads suck!
    Someone had to say it.
    Trust nobody!