Hammock
    DIY Hennessy Clone-Headchange4u
    Tarp
    DIY Black Cat
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Where is everyone finding their thread? I've been looking for the Tera 40 but come up short. I've found 30 and heavier but no 40. All we have here is Joanns and they aren't all that great. Internet searches have been no more productive. Even backwoods is out right now.

Hammock
    12' Double from seller on the site
    Insulation
    Down for both TQ&U
    Quote Originally Posted by UberSquid View Post
    Where is everyone finding their thread? I've been looking for the Tera 40 but come up short. I've found 30 and heavier but no 40. All we have here is Joanns and they aren't all that great. Internet searches have been no more productive. Even backwoods is out right now.
    I did a google search and found this. I didn't compare prices though....if you are still interested.
    http://www.rockywoods.com/Gutermann-...lyester-Thread

I never shopped with them so I can't say anything about sales or service.

Hammock
    WB RR, DIY Bridge (Dutch Kit)
    Tarp
    Kammok Glider
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, DIY BQ
    Suspension
    Whoopsie Slings
    If you ever think that a polyester thread is not strong enough, take a foot or two in each hand and try to break the thread. You'd be surprised how difficult this is. Unless you have an application where there is going to be an enormous amount of stress in a small area, most any thread will do just fine.

I have some thread that seems more like rope/cable to me because of the size. I only use it for special areas that need a *lot* of reinforcement. I generally prefer the lightest possible thread.

I haven't used that particular thread, but if Rev says it's good, it's good. I've used Mara 100 (the Joann's sew-all from Gutermann) on many projects, including tarps and hammocks, and have had zero issues with the strength of it. Having said that, I am well-stocked in Mara 70 and use that with a 90/14 needle for most load-bearing applications like hammocks, tarps, and packs. I still prefer the Mara 100 and a smaller 70/10 needle for quilts, stuff sacks, zipper pouches, etc. I'd probably try the Mara 120 for those applications if I had my hands on some, especially for the 1.0 osy and below fabrics.

Although I've never had a thread failure on a pack with Mara 70, I'd like to try the Tera 40 at some point. Does anybody know if the "upholstery thread" at Joann is Tera 40? https://www.joann.com/gutermann-upho.../prd34127.html

wawak.com offers pretty much all of the Gutermann threads (to my knowledge): https://www.wawak.com/Threads/Thread...G%C3%BCtermann
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Images
    The overlocking thread shown in the OP's pic is for use in a serger machine. Sergers use 3,4 or 5 needles and spools of thread at once to create a seam and cover the raw edge all at once (they also have a cutting blade to trim the edge at the same time). Look at the inside of your factory-made clothing to see this. Thinner thread is used to lessen bulk.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    I prefer to use thread that's just a little less strong than the fabric. I'd much rather fix a few popped stitches than have the fabric rip along the seam. Reinforce high stress seams with 2 or 3 parallel rows close together. Match the needle size to the thread. Bigger isn't necessarily better; make the smallest possible holes along the seam line. I don't claim to be an expert, but for over 50 years I've been making clothes, outdoor wear, household stuff, tents, packs, sleeping bags, a few leather shoes, and more recently hammocks for family and friends. What I make tends to last if the materials are good, so my general "rule of thread" hasn't failed me yet. Just speaking from my own experience. As always, YMMV, HYOH, etc!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12