Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    I also ended up installing large eye bolts that I use to attach the hammock to the stand.
    Most of the eye bolts you get at the big box home improvement stores are not rated to hold a substantial amount of weight. Usually their safe load limit is about 60-80 lbs. Yes you can install them and yes it might hold your weight, but when exceeding rated load limits you are basically rolling the dice and "assuming" the dice will always role a 7 or 11. These stores also sell FORGED eye bolts which are much better and usually rated at about 500 lbs. Better to use forged than one of the low-cost eye bolts which might finally give out at 3am, depositing your back squarely on the 4x4's underneath you! Ouch!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    Better to use forged...
    +1 giving-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    Most of the eye bolts you get at the big box home improvement stores are not rated to hold a substantial amount of weight. Usually their safe load limit is about 60-80 lbs. Yes you can install them and yes it might hold your weight, but when exceeding rated load limits you are basically rolling the dice and "assuming" the dice will always role a 7 or 11. These stores also sell FORGED eye bolts which are much better and usually rated at about 500 lbs. Better to use forged than one of the low-cost eye bolts which might finally give out at 3am, depositing your back squarely on the 4x4's underneath you! Ouch!
    I know that this is an old thread, but as someone who worked in tool and die, the shear strength of a grade 2 bolt in a quarter inch size (the cheapest stuff out there) is well over a thousand pounds. No need to get silly with a grade eight or nine bolt. You aren't building a bridge. The greater problem in theory would be deformation of the wood. That could be solved with a bushing.
    Last edited by Pavel; 09-16-2022 at 23:50.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567