Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    What is the angle of the supports? 60 degrees? I really like how yours fit nice and flush.

Dwight
    The ends of the 4x4 are cut at 60*. I have no idea of the angle of the supports that run from the uprights to the base. I just kinda eyeballed that part.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The ends of the 4x4 are cut at 60*. I have no idea of the angle of the supports that run from the uprights to the base. I just kinda eyeballed that part.
    if my math is right the cut on the upright base should be 30* then. Look at my good skills just looking and being able to see that 60*. Maybe Mr. Math Guru Grizz will chime in here and see if I'm right on the 30* bottom.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    you rang?

HC4U cut 60 degrees with respect to the long edge of the 4x4. That same cut is 30 degrees with respect to the short edge (the ~4" end). Likewise with the base, the cut there is 60 degrees with respect to the long edge and 30 degrees with respect to the short edge.

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    you rang?

HC4U cut 60 degrees with respect to the long edge of the 4x4. That same cut is 30 degrees with respect to the short edge (the ~4" end). Likewise with the base, the cut there is 60 degrees with respect to the long edge and 30 degrees with respect to the short edge.

Grizz
    You sure have a confusing way to say I was right . Thanks a lot, it has been a while since I have taken geometry. I'm glad my wife bought me that 12" compound miter last year, it will work great.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Images
    you rang?

Grizz
    I WAS enjoying this thread. Now it's just gonna get confusing.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus View Post
    I WAS enjoying this thread. Now it's just gonna get confusing.
    You can blame Preacha Man. I was content to leave that math stuff safely over in the bridge thread where it can be and was easily ignored. But no. PM comes along and asks me to confirm that he's right. I guess I coulda said, "Yep you're right so long as you lay flat on the ground", would that have been less confusing?

It's simple, not complicated. An angle describes the relationship between two lines. The "cut" is one of those lines, readily understood from context. But to have an angle you need to identify which other line (and there are two possibilities) you are referring to. I was just being my natural anal-retentive self.

In summary, quoting The Wizard of Oz

"The square of the hypotenuse of an isosceles triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides."
    (Quiz-what's wrong with this statement?)

Wizard of Grizz

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    It doesn't matter if it's an isosceles triangle it just has to be a right angle triangle, right? A squared + B squared = C squared

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Here maybe this diagram will help you illustrate what your trying to say I purposely left the angles out so you can comment on where and what they should be.

Hammock
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Thanks Grizz for all your math, without it several of us would have hit the groud a long time ago. Pure Mayhem, thanks for the diagram. HCFU really had a cool idea to make this and make it where it can come apart in the middle. All of yall are really a great help .

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    you rang?

Grizz
    That much I did know. When I say that I guessed at the angle, I was referring to the 2 2x4's that run from the uprights to the base.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast