HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

I am a Heavy Hanger, and own BA gear as well

but I have never tried my BA Lost Ranger in my HH Explorer Dlx Asym. Bags are a hassle IMO, so I just never tried it. I have heard of folks cutting the pad sleeve from a BA bag and using it as a TQ, but I don't want to go that route. I also have a Clark, so when I ordered a UQ from Stormcrow I bought a 3/4 length Crowsnest that I can use on either rig. But if you have a bottom entry HH I suddest looking at one of the JRB UQs that are designed specifically for that application.

As for the diagonal lie in a HH, I think it is the berries. I can lay on either side in either direction, so I can vary my position as my (bad) back dictates.

But by all means, do look at an UQ. I struggled for years with pads and fleece bags in the HH until I ordered my UQ last fall, and I am still kicking myself for not doing so sooner.

Jim

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    OES Standard
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel w\MSH
    Images
    I'm 6'3 over 300 lbs and use a rectangular campmor down bag for a top quilt and a Kaq on bottom. I can zip the campmor bag up, although its snug.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    > My big question is am i going to have a hard time using the 25" pad with
    > an asym hammock?

I'm a Big Agnes user, and the answer is no, nothing you won't figure out how to deal with easily and quickly. Just remember to treat the BA system as a bed, not a sleeping bag.

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Tarp
    Noah's Tarp 12
    Insulation
    HG + AHE tqs/uqs
    Suspension
    donated whoopies
    as quite possibly the biggest hanger (not confirmed though) - at 6'5 415ish, I have some of the same questions as you jeeps. Thats why I commissioned Stormcrow to make a "Big Papi" version of his winter quilts in extra long and fatboy wide. He is debuting them this sunday at our feb hang in southern ohio.

With that being said, before I ordered my quilts, I hung with big agnes bags/pads. Both times were in clarks nx250 (I switched and rock the ENO DN now). The first time was in late sept 2010. We were at Dolly Sods, weather got down to 40 degrees. I had an insulated air core pad, half inflated, and a Big agnes 15 degree down bagged, unzipped draped over me. Was good to go. The second time was 10 degrees and I had a 15 degree synthetic marmot unzipped and a ccf ridge rest under me, and a big agnes -20 elk park unzipped, drapped as a blanket over me. Never really got cold either.

So, while the big agnes system works, I would use the bag unzipped as a top quilt.

But for me, with the cold weather I like to be outside in, I found some extra money and went ahead and ordered my stormcrow quilts, the 0 degree top and bottoms.

Isn't it my luck that this ohio feb hang is going to be in the 40s during the day/30s at night? Here's praying for snow instead of rain!
    Last edited by Big Papi; 02-15-2011 at 15:23. Reason: updated weather forcast

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    It use a BA Whiskey Park 0 degree with the blue self inflatable pad good to -30. I have a HH deep jungle zip xl. I'm 5'9" 265. It works fine, Not light! I haven't tried a UQ, but I think that's the way to go.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Sleeping BearTQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    A couple of things to think about:
    Jacks r Better has an under quilt that has the slit for the bottom entry on the Henessey.
    Also, you might want to consider the 2QZQ modification on the Henessey to make it a side entry. Then you won't have to worry about the bottom entry.

Also, as a big guy, I have also switched to TQ and UQ. Makes things really nice and simple.
    "We don't stop hiking because we grow old,
    we grow old because we stop hiking."

-- Finis Mitchell,

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I have a couple of BA bags that I use. There was the usual hassle of getting into the bag in the hammock. I just cut the back out of them and removed the hood on the one that had hood. I left about 5 or 6 inches of the bottom fabric to tuck in.

Tarp
    HH Xplor Dlx
    Insulation
    KAQ Potomac
    Suspension
    straps n rings
    Thanx guys for all the info....

I'll be looking into the UQ section of the forums for sure. I drive a concrete truck for a living so i don't get alot of time off during the warmer months which is what kept me from enjoying the outdoors for some years(as much as i wanted to).

I have a good feeling this hammocking thing is gonna be the ticket lol.

Jeeps.....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12