Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Your kidding right?

My Hammock Gear Winter UQ was advertised 5.5" and I got all 5.5

When I get new down I always pop it in the dryer on fluff (no heat) with two tennis balls for ~30 minutes
    then store laying flat in the equipment room.

Does packing it for the trail negate any benefits of doing this LRR? When you shake it out later it doesn't loft higher or faster than if you wouldn't have put it in the dryer?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Does packing it for the trail negate any benefits of doing this LRR? When you shake it out later it doesn't loft higher or faster than if you wouldn't have put it in the dryer?
    I think the dryer trick really lets the down fluff to max and also helps with equal distribution in the channels. It's basically a one time treatment on new down.

How much does it help? Don't really know.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vesteroid View Post
    you serious 5.5 inches of loft? Thats huge. Most zero quilts are 3.5 " loft.

I personally think most of the cottage guys understuff their quilts for the ratings they list.
    BOLD statement IMHO. I have six hammock gear quilts (some with over stuff others not) and had a JRB no sniv and all lofted up to their stated potential and still do after a year plus of use. And all the quilts have kept me warm to rated degrees with out a problem. I trust my cottage guys more then any big company. Their reputation is everything to them and I hold that in very high regard. If a cottage guy were to under stuff their quilts for the ratings they listed a lot of us would be cold and it would generate quite a negative buzz about said quilt. Some people are however cold sleepers and need more down to keep them warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    I just shake it up to even out the down each time before use. IMHO their is no initial need to put it in the dryer before first time use. I just unpack it, shake it, and let it lay out. I never keep it stuffed when stored. I don't put it in the dryer cause I am simply scared to I find that by shaking the down around simply evens it out after unpacking it on a trip. I think this answers your question otherwise I am not quite understanding. Did I get it right Slo
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

yeah, sorry thought you'd posted the pic but it was outandback. Had just woke up from a 16 hour shift, noggin' wasn't kickin'

Hmm...didnt say I didnt think they "lofted" to ratings. I said in my opinion that many were understuffed compared to similar bags. (even if you take the portion of the bag a quilt represents.

Not trying to start a debate, but I think we all have seen the numerous post where people got a cottage quilt after owning a WM bag or what not and thought they were not as "filled" as the bag was.

I own 3 jrb quilts and am happy with all three (one is the wifes). I just think I want all mine overstuffed by one to two ounces.

I will also buy a katabatic gear quilt when the wide comes out as the size and weight meet my needs for ground sleeping. I suspect I will still keep my jrb (titanium goat) quilt for the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12