Images

Sgt Rock's pocket pad

Anyone here made/used a system like this:

http://hikinghq.net/gear/pocket_pad.html

I'm thinking on trying this out. I'm betting I can get temps around mid 30s with a set up like this. Any thoughts?

System considerations aside, i.e., you can't estimate temp range knowing only one piece of a sleep system, I'll blindly say, "Yes."

I use one of those older (¼") Oware pads and, in concert with the rest of my system, it keeps me comfortable to the mid- to low-20's. I established the pad's range for my system in backyard experiments during which I felt cold coming through at 22°. On the trail, my low is 26° at which I felt just a touch of 'cool' at my shoulders.

The pocket pad is a neat idea and the double thickness-plus that results should be exceptionally warm. IMO, Oware pads, offer very good insulation for their thin dimensions and low weight. I've read that the GG pads are similar and for either's cost I think they're great.

FYI, when I first got into hanging I found a lot of good information on Sgt Rock's site. In fact, it was his postings that turned me on to the Oware pad in the first place. I think it is ideal for hammocks...the extra width somewhat cups around the shoulders providing extra insulation there and wind block. Additionally, the size and the pad's material itself limits slipping/sliding in the hammock. But understand, I've never felt the need to try anything else...and haven't.

Given the temp range, it's 7oz weight (new pads are 3/16" and 6oz, last I looked) and its ~$24 cost, I'm a pretty happy camper. But they are bulky and the pocket pad should be waaay bulky.

FB

• + New Posts