ENO DN / DIY
    Tarp
    9 x 7 cheapie
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings

Difference between walmart blue pads?

I've been using the light blue, soft, smooth pad from Walmart but I know they have a few different styles of pad. Well, I found one of the waffle pattern, darker blue pads for the first time in my local wallyworld today. The waffle pad is wider but I'm wondering if anyone knows any other differences. Do the channels in the pattern increase air flow? Perhaps less condensation? Does the pattern allow for easier folding?

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    Quilts
    I know they have a stiffer foam pad in the camping section and a much softer foam in the exercise area.

I use one of the exercise pads in the bottom of my canoe which is really a knee saver. It had a slight grip that held it in place nicely. I tried it in my hammock once instead of the thermarest and hated it. That same grip always held it in the wrong position (didn't seem to hold it from getting in the wrong position).

The stiffer foam from the camping section provides better insulation as it doesn't compress as much. Never tried one in a hammock though.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

I've used the waffly one in my hammock. It will fold/roll only in one direction, which makes it buckle a bit if you use it as intended. If you cut it in half width-wise, the rotated sections will contour to the hammock better and give you more shoulder coverage.

Hammock
    BMBH / WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    GH Incub/JRB Sniv
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    This thread is interesting to me as my local WalMart (well 20 miles away) just got this pad in. I like the fact that it is considerably wider than the solid blue roll & am also curious on whether the gaps increase heating efficiency.

I had wondered about cutting darts into it to help it conform but that does compromise it's durability unless there is a way to stop further tearing of the darts with use. Hadn't thought about cutting it in half. jackdeberry, you did mean for the cut to be the short cut not from end to end long ways right?
    The older I get the better I used to be. Superhero status is near.

Quote Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
    This thread is interesting to me as my local WalMart (well 20 miles away) just got this pad in. I like the fact that it is considerably wider than the solid blue roll & am also curious on whether the gaps increase heating efficiency.

I had wondered about cutting darts into it to help it conform but that does compromise it's durability unless there is a way to stop further tearing of the darts with use. Hadn't thought about cutting it in half. jackdeberry, you did mean for the cut to be the short cut not from end to end long ways right?
    Right. Padding to 10 characters.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images

I use both ... the waffle cut is lighter if I recall ... ideally the waffle CCF should be warmer due to the ability to trap dead air in the cuts ... they both roll up to about the same diameter ... I used the waffle with my self-inflatable the other night in mid 40's*F and it didn't seem as warm as the flat CCF ... and then there's the price waffle is $12.00 .. the flat is $5.00 ... I do like the waffle 's width and the shape with the rounded corners fits into my Clark nicely ...
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    I use the waffle occasionally, For the price, it is quite warm.. btw......I hate pads..
    Did I mention that I hated pads??......
    From Stan..... The pad hater..
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The waffle pad is about 24" wide and weights 15 oz. I use it because a 20" pad just isn't wide enough for me. I find that I get very little movement when used in my BB.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    ENO DN / DIY
    Tarp
    9 x 7 cheapie
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Straps and Rings
    OK, so I ended up getting one of the "waffle" pads and thought I'd post a few things I've noticed and confirm some of the other replies. Just to be clear, both pads are from the camping section. The light blue pad was a generic brand without a real label and the "waffle" pad is a Ozark Trail (OT) brand made from olefin. They are about the same length (which was longer than the labeled dimensions for the OT) but, as stated before, the OT is wider. The generic pad has more grip. I can't move while on top of it without it pulling my clothes all out of wack. The good thing about that is the pad seems to stay in place in the hammock pretty well. The OT pad is slicker so moving isn't a problem, you just slide around. Not that you slip on it, it's just easier to make adjustments. The OT pad is listed as being 15oz but mine weighed in at 17oz. Although once I cut it down in length and tapered the foot, it weighed in at 10oz. While I like the width of the generic when it comes time to pack it, it's so narrow that you've GOT to add side insulation of some sort. I'm broad enough in the shoulders that I would still need some side insulation even with the wider OT pad, but the pad is perfect for my wife (or any smaller person). They both roll to about the same diameter. The generic is about 3/8" thick and the OT is 1/2". The OT is difficult to roll in the narrow direction as Jackleberry said. Cut areas do seem to be more likely to tear on the OT. Overall, I like the OT pad better but because I would need some extra side padding anyway, I'm keeping the generic. It's narrow packing width is preferable for me. I do like the idea of cutting the OT down and using it rotated 90*. I haven't done any real tests concerning warmth, but they are both warm. I agree with Black Wolf, the generic does seem like it would be a tiny bit warmer and good point about the price difference.

• + New Posts